Atik 314l plus, what am i doing wrong.

MARS1960

I don't buy into all the second, third and fourth party software packages that others seem to find essential. For me, Artemis Capture is great and is the camera's default software. Say no more. Am I looking to replace Artemis? You must be joking.

Olly

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I don't buy into all the second, third and fourth party software packages that others seem to find essential. For me, Artemis Capture is great and is the camera's default software. Say no more. Am I looking to replace Artemis? You must be joking.

Olly

Thanks Olly.

Is there anything that is a must know in Artemis except checking autosave is on?

I have done some video tutorials on using Artemis which like Olly I really love.  You can find them on You tube under my name Carole Pope.  There are 3 on Artemis.

They include a few tips from Olly as well.

HTH

Carole

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

The main reason I use APT is partly brand loyalty :p but mainly because it was the software I use(d) with Canon dslrs. It's therefore easy to continue using it with ccd's whether qhy or atik. It's very good and reliable, and the author (Yoddha on here) gives excellent support.  APT has good focusing aids, autofocuser control, and platesolve interface (though I still use Astrotortilla). Each to there own :)

Louise

I do agree with Olly on the software approach. Capture some images and get a result you can look at and show your family and friends.

Quite a few newcomers to AP insist on getting the all singing all dancing fully integrated software package working first, then encounter issue after issue. This, coupled with meagre clear nights in the UK, results in acquiring no data and hence no images, so they give up and put the whole rig up for sale.

Still, keeps the Astro classifieds well stocked.

You can actually do AP without  auto focus, platesolving and auto sequencing imaging runs:icon_biggrin:

19 minutes ago, tomato said:

I do agree with Olly on the software approach. Capture some images and get a result you can look at and show your family and friends.

Quite a few newcomers to AP insist on getting the all singing all dancing fully integrated software package working first, then encounter issue after issue. This, coupled with meagre clear nights in the UK, results in acquiring no data and hence no images, so they give up and put the whole rig up for sale.

Still, keeps the Astro classifieds well stocked.

You can actually do AP without  auto focus, platesolving and auto sequencing imaging runs:icon_biggrin:

You can happily use APT just for image capture and nothing else. It's intuitive and easy to use, and very reliable. It's the image capture software I started off with almost 5 years ago with  a canon 1100d and I've stuck with it. It's mainly written by a member here.

Louise

31 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

You can happily use APT just for image capture and nothing else. It's intuitive and easy to use, and very reliable. It's the image capture software I started off with almost 5 years ago with  a canon 1100d and I've stuck with it. It's mainly written by a member here.

Louise

You can indeed, APT looks very good and I am in the process of evaluating it to ultimately integrate all of the gear when I get a permenant set up.

However, it took me two sessions to get my G2-8300 working with it whereas the camera worked right out of the box with the Moravian bundled software. IMHO   newcomers to AP under a precious clear sky need the absolute minimum of hardware and software hassles at this early point in their learning experience.

Steve

2 minutes ago, tomato said:

You can indeed, APT looks very good and I am in the process of evaluating it to ultimately integrate all of the gear when I get a permenant set up.

However, it took me two sessions to get my G2-8300 working with it whereas the camera worked right out of the box with the Moravian bundled software. IMHO   newcomers to AP under a precious clear sky need the absolute minimum of hardware and software hassles at this early point in their learning experience.

Steve

All things that you aren't familiar with have to be learnt. Compared to setting up Ascom, Eqmod, Stellarium (or CDC), autoguiding, PHD2, Polar Alignment and star alignment, the use of image capture software is relatively simple and straightforward. It's also something you can practice in the day.  APT is well documented and even a new user shouldn't have any difficulty. However, the whole imaging, stacking, and processing procedure is a learning curve. I think maybe sometimes people battle with things and get frustrated and annoyed - simply because a) they're impatient and b) because they refuse to read the manual!

Louise

12 hours ago, MARS1960 said:

Thanks Olly.

Is there anything that is a must know in Artemis except checking autosave is on?

A few things to watch out for:

The sequencer, if used, over-rides everything on the capture side except the subframe window. So be careful to go back to full frame before starting a sequence or you'll get the whole darned sequence as a sub frame! The sequencer does, however, over-ride the main window's exposure time, binning etc and you don't need to check Autosave if using the sequencer.

If you check Autostretch you can read off the black point and white point values when shooting flats. I like my white point around 23000 ADU.

Beware of the camera option 'Rotate180.'  It is tempting to use it if reframing after a meridian flip but I don't. I open the pre-flip image in another software (AstroArt in my case) and rotate it 180 to use as a reference for reframing the flipped image in Artemis. I do this because, if you don't, your calibration files will be rotated 180 relative to any lights you capture if the camera setting is changed to Rotate 180.) Carole may remember this causing us some confusion on one of her captures with our rig and I recently discovered a set of bias which must have been captured in rotated mode because they worked a lot better the other way up!

Olly

12 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Apparently Atik are looking for 10 volunteers to test their new software Dusk Dusk which will eventually replace Artemis ..  they want to hear from volunteers by 21 Nov A3E248FA-164F-4F4E-9158-61F6F9034EFC.png.2028a0e3263578ce9a7375acdf91d562.png

Oh no!!! I hate learning new software!

Olly

16 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

My impression was that the main reason not to use Artimis Capture is that it wont work with none ATIK filter wheels. Might be wrong. 

7 hours ago, Adam J said:

My impression was that the main reason not to use Artimis Capture is that it wont work with none ATIK filter wheels. Might be wrong. 

That would be one reason, certainly. Another is that it won't dither in conjunction with PHD.

Olly

Oh no!!! I hate learning new software!

Olly

Ditto

I think I am going to contact Atik and ask them to keep an Artemis download available for us dinosaurs.   Invariably upgrades of anything end up removing some excellent facilities available previously.  If Dusk Dusk is anything like Dawn another of their software I can't make head nor tail of, I won't be using it.

Totally agree, it's like trying to run before you can walk.  I always advise learners, to learn one bit at a time and get it right before trying to do too much at once. 

Carole 

Download Bruce W’s PHD_Dither 1b from the PHD2 website and unzip the files into a folder such as “phd dither” There are a couple of apps that allow you to set things up, the dither script and a pdf file that explains it all.

The trick to get it to work with Artemis is to fire up the sequencer and on the right you will see a “system command” column. In here you write the command to initiate the dither script, so it would be something like C:\phd dither\Dither_script.vbs. You can add a delay between subs in the sequencer (bottom left) to allow things to settle down after the dither before starting the next capture.

Hope that helps.

The trick to get it to work with Artemis is to fire up the sequencer and on the right you will see a “system command” column. In here you write the command to initiate the dither script, so it would be something like C:\phd dither\Dither_script.vbs. You can add a delay between subs in the sequencer (bottom left) to allow things to settle down after the dither before starting the next capture.

Does this has to be done on a once only occasion, surely not every time you set up a sequence.

I have yet to get dithering to connect to Artemis, but the main reason for this is that Artemis will only dither if you have an Atik guide camera as I found on on speaking to Atik at Kelling last year.  Since I have a working QHY5 I shan't be replacing this until it's reached the end of its life.  so dithering is still in the future.  But good to be prepared.

Carole 

Archived