Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wide Field Scope as a second scope

In the new year i'm considering buying a scope for light travel and wide field views.

Ive been told the Televue 85 and TS Optics 90mm are very good, although expensive.

Ive also been looking at Altair Astro and William Optics scopes.

However i'm open to other options if anyone can give me some recommendations.

Paul

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3881_TS-Optics-PHOTOLINE-80mm-f-6-FPL53-Triplet-APO---2-5--RAP-Focuser.html

Is a good choice, I believe Altair Astro branded one exists as well.

For something bigger, although still "portable" class:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9868_TS-Optics-PhotoLine-102mm-f-7-FPL-53-Doublet-Apo-with-2-5--Focuser.html

(same as stellarvue 102 access)

What budget / aperture / focal length / weight requirements do you have?

11 minutes ago, djpaul said:

Great recommendation mark.

But im wondering why the William Optics 73 Zenithstar is double the price of the SW72ed.

FOV is about the same for both

I think the build quality is better with the WO.  It's also smaller and lighter - I think - so it's a little faster and a little more portable. Not sure how they compare though ..

3 hours ago, djpaul said:

hi Paul ... i have the WO Z 73 and its a brilliant piece of kit , however , as much as i love it ,i still find it a bit on the small size for normal viewing . I am actually looking at a skywatcher startravel 150 because of its short tube ,its still very portable and of course with the larger aperture its not only good for wide field but also for planetary viewing . Of course this scopes optics cannot be compared to the WO Z73 , and there lies the trade off . Whilst the Z73 produces very small images they are very crisp and clear and its a very good choice if you go for it .

It depends to a large degree how portable you want it to be Paul. I have a TS72mm which is tiny and will go anywhere very easily, including in hand luggage on a flight. The optics are loverly but the trade off is limited aperture obviously.

As we've discussed, the TV85 and TS90mm give that bit more aperture and still widefield capability. They are also still very portable but inevitably weigh more and are bigger. Don't discount the significance of even a 5 or 10mm aperture increase. In percentage terms it is alot, and you do see the difference.

So, have you decided if it needs to be ultra portable or not?

I have a Altair Astro 70ED. As the others say it has limitations, but I've so enjoyed this over 2018. The images are fantastic, and its so portable. I use high quality ED barlows also for a little more magnification at times. Its been my most used scope this year. 

Setup time is 5mins also!.. so I class it as a travel & home scope TBH. Mars was fantastic through it (the dust storm didnt help). Its sure proved itself on planets all round.

In the past I've tended to not hold on for long to scopes with apertures of less than 100mm because I felt that their limits were a little too constrained.

A few months back I did pick up a Tele Vue Ranger and that has proved a lot of fun and provided observing enjoyment when time or mood precluded setting up something larger. I tend to use it with a 24mm 68 degree eyepiece, a 7.2mm - 21.5mm zoom and the Baader 2.25x barlow so those give me from a 3 degree true field @ 20x though to 150x which maxes the aperture out.

To be fair, I can get a slightly wider field with both my ED120 and my ED102SS but they are more substantial and less portable and less suited to "observing at a whim".

Nice little rig which weighs around 4kg all up including the tripod.

tvranger02.JPG

I agree with those who have suggested a 100mm refractor is large enough that the user won't feel wanting if used as their portable scope.  I did have an excellent Equinox 80 mm which was a wonderful scope and I had ages for this purpose, I parted with it when I took a 102 mm refractor in part-ex for another scope.  I was going to sell this scope on but never did as it performs so well and does everything I ask of it very well.   (it's a ten year old Astro-Tech 102ED, f6.95 and factory fitted with a feathertouch focuser).  I tend to use it as my grab and go on an Ercole mount at home and for trips to local dark sites.  With it's folding dew shield it folds down to around 22 inches, airline portable if you want it to be.  An 80 mm scope would be fine if taking the 102 wasn't an option, and if the latter hadn't come along I would have been happy to carry on using the Equinox.

Having said that, if I was going to a dark sky site where I could see more southerly objects than I can at home, I'd really rather have the 102ED.  There is a huge improvement over the 80mm and it would make the most of that once (or twice :smile:) trip of a lifetime.

There are many 102mm refractors around f7 available and I thinks it's just about the best compromise between size, focal length for wider fields, and performance.  Also, for visual at least, I'd go for a good doublet any time over a triplet. 

I know a lot of other people wont agree, but unless I wanted to be able to put the scope in my trouser pocket ( though I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this :smile:) I just wouldn't entertain anything less than 80mm.  Look at Omega Centauri in a 70mm refractor and a 102 mm refractor side by side, and I think most people would think taking the 102mm scope along was the best decision they ever made!

2113756005_PC051389aRightClosed.thumb.jpg.ff9e5093e4b483a3384f7a3b5c7ab80b.jpg

This pic is of the Astro-Tech in the closed position on my AZ4.  It works extremely well on this mount, though of course it is better at higher powers on the Ercole.

TV85 is very portable, I sometimes use it in the yard but prefer to take it, walking a short distance from home to a better location. More so it fits in no problem with my dob for dark sky trips and I plan on taking it on a dark sky trip that will involve a walk in / wild camp. Wide field is quite good, 4.24 degree field with my 31mm nagler (4.4mm exit pupil). Purchased at very reasonable cost second hand,  not something I could afford easily at retail.

P1080603.JPG

I do agree with the comments about a 100mm scope being fantastic at a dark site if it's possible to get it there. John's post is very valid though, there are times when a 70 or 80mm scope is all that you can manage, or be bothered to set up, and they can still be alot of fun. Better than no scope! Alot depends upon just how portable you want/need it to be. The TV85 is a very good compromise though, noticeable increase in brightness and resolution over a 70mm but still more portable than a 100mm.

Archived