Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Prints on aluminium.

ollypenrice

I've had a few prints done on plexiglass and been pretty pleased with them but I've just received one done on aluminium by these people: https://www.monoeuvre.fr/photo-sur-aluminium-offre/?gclid=CjwKCAjwmJbeBRBCEiwAAY4VVdMfttXu4RSNsCrcrOvFy_WTp-4sq_aRxj0CTIf_vo5GDzEAfSb3-hoC7dgQAvD_BwE&ia-pkpmtrack=1-9333538363834363134303-86791857-3413617617-77063989857&ef_id=CjwKCAjwmJbeBRBCEiwAAY4VVdMfttXu4RSNsCrcrOvFy_WTp-4sq_aRxj0CTIf_vo5GDzEAfSb3-hoC7dgQAvD_BwE:G:s

It is the closest thing I've ever seen to an astrophoto on a PC screen. There's a very high gloss for the surface, tiny details are rendered sharply and, unusually, the signal just above the background sky has been rendered easily visible. Colour fidelity is perfect. I would give this firm ten out of ten. Simple as that. A 30 x 40cm print cost about 24 Euros delivered and it came quickly and very well packaged indeed.

I did give the image a tweak in TIFF format prior to sending the large JPEG to them. In Curves I fixed the background sky with a point right on it and one below it and then lifted it a tad just above that. I then pulled the top of the curve down just a bit as well to prevent any white clipping. To give you an idea of the final levels, based on experience/guesswork, the version I sent them looked as shown below. Clearly this would not be the right Levels for a PC screen presentation but I felt it came out just right on the print.

741373986_VEILPRINT30X40toRMAweb.jpg.c029ae8da4f7dddbfd2d58b4b7aa46f4.jpg

The dedication lower left is to an old school friend who kindly sent me a copy of a book he's recently written about an obscure corner of motorcycle racing history. Very good it was, too!

Olly

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Olly! I've had a couple of my mono HA widefields printed onto aluminium and they look very nice. When you consider the cost of a frame and a proper mount for a traditional print the price is right too. ??

8 minutes ago, RichLD said:

Nice one Olly! I've had a couple of my mono HA widefields printed onto aluminium and they look very nice. When you consider the cost of a frame and a proper mount for a traditional print the price is right too. ??

Was that in the UK? Have been tempted myself... who did you use?

20 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I've had a few prints done on plexiglass and been pretty pleased with them but I've just received one done on aluminium by these people: https://www.monoeuvre.fr/photo-sur-aluminium-offre/?gclid=CjwKCAjwmJbeBRBCEiwAAY4VVdMfttXu4RSNsCrcrOvFy_WTp-4sq_aRxj0CTIf_vo5GDzEAfSb3-hoC7dgQAvD_BwE&ia-pkpmtrack=1-9333538363834363134303-86791857-3413617617-77063989857&ef_id=CjwKCAjwmJbeBRBCEiwAAY4VVdMfttXu4RSNsCrcrOvFy_WTp-4sq_aRxj0CTIf_vo5GDzEAfSb3-hoC7dgQAvD_BwE:G:s

It is the closest thing I've ever seen to an astrophoto on a PC screen. There's a very high gloss for the surface, tiny details are rendered sharply and, unusually, the signal just above the background sky has been rendered easily visible. Colour fidelity is perfect. I would give this firm ten out of ten. Simple as that. A 30 x 40cm print cost about 24 Euros delivered and it came quickly and very well packaged indeed.

I did give the image a tweak in TIFF format prior to sending the large JPEG to them. In Curves I fixed the background sky with a point right on it and one below it and then lifted it a tad just above that. I then pulled the top of the curve down just a bit as well to prevent any white clipping. To give you an idea of the final levels, based on experience/guesswork, the version I sent them looked as shown below. Clearly this would not be the right Levels for a PC screen presentation but I felt it came out just right on the print.

741373986_VEILPRINT30X40toRMAweb.jpg.c029ae8da4f7dddbfd2d58b4b7aa46f4.jpg

The dedication lower left is to an old school friend who kindly sent me a copy of a book he's recently written about an obscure corner of motorcycle racing history. Very good it was, too!

Olly

Olly, would you mind showing a picture or two of what the print looks like from the side, and from an angle? I've been thinking of printing a picture or two of my own, and aluminium sounds like an interesting option. 

7 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

@ollypenrice. I'll probably never take a photo worthy of printing on anything but my racing motorcycling interest goes back a long way, what period did the book cover?   ?

My author friend is Raymond Ainscoe, Peter. This book was Bob McIntyre's 350 Bianchi. I've tried to link to it but couldn't get it to work. He's written a number of short books along these lines and has an attractive collection of  racing machines, one of which is probably unique.

17 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Olly, would you mind showing a picture or two of what the print looks like from the side, and from an angle? I've been thinking of printing a picture or two of my own, and aluminium sounds like an interesting option. 

No problem, I'll do that in the morning before repacking it and sending it to my friend;

oLLY

Thanks for that Olly. I was fortunate to see Bob McIntyre ride several times at TT's and domestic short cicuit events. Had he not been killed in 1962, the races against Mike Hailwood would have been epic. I last saw him on the 285cc Honda at Mallory Park.  

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

My author friend is Raymond Ainscoe, Peter. This book was Bob McIntyre's 350 Bianchi. I've tried to link to it but couldn't get it to work. He's written a number of short books along these lines and has an attractive collection of  racing machines, one of which is probably unique.

No problem, I'll do that in the morning before repacking it and sending it to my friend;

oLLY

Much appreciated. Thanks Olly! 

glad I came across this thread, I've been wanting to print a few of my recent efforts (and chuck away the prints of earlier works which aren't worthy !), so I've gone and ordered three on aluminium from Bonusprint.

Special offer from Bonusprint btw, half price until 10am tomorrow (unless that's one of those rolling 'special offers').

Aluminium printed astrophotography is jaw-dropping.

I curated an astronomy art/photo exhibition last month and one exhibitor has used aluminium for some of his prints. @XigaThe top 2 and one below (mono) on the left are aluminium; note the reflections from the high gloss finish in the two top images.

It truly represents what you see on a screen.

458144506_10IanCollins.thumb.jpg.f4d461723fd44a8467b93b387bef9643.jpg

9 hours ago, Beulah said:

Aluminium printed astrophotography is jaw-dropping.

I curated an astronomy art/photo exhibition last month and one exhibitor has used aluminium for some of his prints. @XigaThe top 2 and one below (mono) on the left are aluminium; note the reflections from the high gloss finish in the two top images.

It truly represents what you see on a screen.

458144506_10IanCollins.thumb.jpg.f4d461723fd44a8467b93b387bef9643.jpg

Wow those look brilliant. I think i'm going to go for one. Thanks for posting these ?

7 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Sorry, I've lost my camera to PC USB so can't show my picture of the pictures till I find it! (Silly old gimmer...)

Olly

Not to worry Olly. It's the thought that counts after all. And thanks for creating the thread! 

14 hours ago, glowingturnip said:

glad I came across this thread, I've been wanting to print a few of my recent efforts (and chuck away the prints of earlier works which aren't worthy !), so I've gone and ordered three on aluminium from Bonusprint.

Special offer from Bonusprint btw, half price until 10am tomorrow (unless that's one of those rolling 'special offers').

Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered one myself from Bonusprint. Only came to £27, so not much of a gamble. If i like the quality i'll probably order another couple. 

Cheers!

That sounds like it's worth a go, @ollypenrice. Shame it didn't arrive before we left the other week.

Unbelievably, I've had interest from friends and relatives who've actually hinted that they would like some of my images to put on the wall. Personally, I think they're either being "nice" or have led very sheltered lives... ;)

@ollypenrice Thank you for bringing this up! I was just thinking about how aluminium prints would be for astrophoto. I am planning on printing this mosaik: 

and I want the lustre and colour of the computer screen. Plexiglass was my other option.

Might have to do a test print now :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just had this back from bonusprint, 30x30 aluminium, bear was pleased. (you may remember this @ollypenrice)

This is matt finish and quite nice, bonusprint have a promo using code BPXMAS that's 50% off until end Jan 2019

I have just ordered an acrylic print same size/subject to compare, gloss finish.

Not used photobox but looking at the prices may be cheaper........

M27 an bear.jpg

On 15/11/2018 at 11:24, Mick J said:

Just had this back from bonusprint, 30x30 aluminium, bear was pleased. (you may remember this @ollypenrice)

This is matt finish and quite nice, bonusprint have a promo using code BPXMAS that's 50% off until end Jan 2019

I have just ordered an acrylic print same size/subject to compare, gloss finish.

Not used photobox but looking at the prices may be cheaper........

M27 an bear.jpg

Mick when the acrylic one arrives would you mind taking a few side by side pics of it against the aluminium one? I'm intrigued how the high gloss finish looks

10 hours ago, Xiga said:

Mick when the acrylic one arrives would you mind taking a few side by side pics of it against the aluminium one? I'm intrigued how the high gloss finish looks

For what it's worth, I think both work well for astrophotos but there is, inevitably, something plasticky about the acrylic prints which makes the aluminium look more refined to my eye. Let's see if Mick agrees.

Olly

Those are some nice images, I want to get to where I'm happy to get one of my astro pics printed like that!

I got this interpretation board printed for a job by HelloPrint. It's 1000mm x 750mm satin finish on aluminium for £54. I felt the colour was faithful to my watercolours.

It's a 'working model' of Dartmoor's hydrology!

Finished.thumb.JPG.2f2ddbf9e59c74d4c900858778f47995.JPG

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Those are some nice images, I want to get to where I'm happy to get one of my astro pics printed like that!

I got this interpretation board printed for a job by HelloPrint. It's 1000mm x 750mm satin finish on aluminium for £54. I felt the colour was faithful to my watercolours.

It's a 'working model' of Dartmoor's hydrology!

Finished.thumb.JPG.2f2ddbf9e59c74d4c900858778f47995.JPG

Tip top!

Olly

Archived