Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Who can identify these stars?

Hi All,

I have a hard time figuring out what exactly i am looking at in the sky.

I am pretty sure i identified Vega sometime ago. but there are some constellations i can find (and find very beautiful) very easy in my backyard these days.

But i could not figure out what i am actually looking at. So i took a picture with my DSLR to see if some of you can help me identify these and get a new starting point.

Any answers are appreciated if you spot something else in there that you wanna tell me about feel free to point it out.

Thanks and Greets

Loki

ps. i was guessing that i am looking at pliades? but could not find anything that should be around them 

Inked1638_Edited_LI.jpg

23 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

#2 is the Pleiades ( M45 the seven sisters). Im having to stand on my head to identify the others.

#1 could be Hyades. 

#3.......im not seeing Cassie.

This looks more like Cassie to me. 

Untitled.jpg

3 is Cassiopeia, I think you’ve outlined a bit of Triangulum and a bit of Aries :)

Coming straight down from the 3 circle you see two fuzzies close together which is the Double Cluster.

Between the 3 circle and Paul’s circle is Andromeda and in there I can see the Andromeda Galaxy M31 as a tiny oval.

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

This is pretty much the field you have captured, might help a bit.

70346CE8-FEAE-4E5C-BE41-1483843A3F87.jpeg

So this is Andromeda? 

Circled in blue,. Looks like a galaxy. Im just not seeing Cassie. I can see the double cluster from your image, so everything adds up. I can now even see Uranus in the image.

andromeda.jpg

Man you guys are awesome :)

Why can't all the internet be like this forum. 

Thank you all very much especially for the tip with stellarium. Learning something new every day

PS. I'm very happy now that I was right about Pleiades besides butchering the name. 

15 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

So this is Andromeda? 

Circled in blue,. Looks like a galaxy. Im just not seeing Cassie. I can see the double clusterfrom your image, so everything adds up. I can now even see Uranus in the image.

andromeda.jpg

That’s right, the blue circle covers M31.

This one shows Cassie outlined, plus the DC

6B6C27B7-53F8-41AA-8D9E-AA1F738BB932.jpeg

7 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

So this is Andromeda? 

Circled in blue,. Looks like a galaxy. Im just not seeing Cassie. I can see the double clusterfrom your image, so everything adds up.

andromeda.jpg

That would be cool because I thought I saw a galaxy in a shot from another angle. But because all shots where out of focus I wasn't sure.20181009_001104.thumb.jpg.83bb141b43bfda139d841d014ff2fa7f.jpg

You guys make my day!

Very happy I was not totally wrong and starting to get the navigating the sky skill started. 

Thanks a lot again. Expect more question in the future, because I have fallen in love with the sky

Good night yall 

Hi Guys

Been from land down under

Should have Orion close to Pleiades, unless further south

From where I am Orion is north east of Pleiades 

Orion is also opposite way around Southern Hemisphere

Piece of Trivia

In Indigenous Australia, there is a dream time story about Aldebaran

A man stole another man's wife, and the man and woman hid in a tree

The man who was betrayed, found them hiding in the tree, and set try alight

Rainbow Serpent came down and picked them up and created Aldebaran

Every time an Indigenous Australian man sees Aldebaran, he knows not to steal another man's wife

8 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

The double cluster and M31 yes also. I just couldnt see Cassie.

That most unusual for you Paul - I tend to get the impression that you have been looking up and good deal longer than I have and I must admit I saw the W in Cassie straight away in the first photo even though the circle drawn kind of cut it in half.  I am still an absolute novice, but I am pleased to have spotted Cassie in the photo (which wasn't a bad bash at a sky photo actually).  I shall have to go out myself and see if I can learn Auriga as it looks if I can find Cassie (which I usually do), that Auriga should be within my grasp and then I'd have another one learned.

4 hours ago, JOC said:

That most unusual for you Paul - I tend to get the impression that you have been looking up and good deal longer than I have and I must admit I saw the W in Cassie straight away in the first photo even though the circle drawn kind of cut it in half.  I am still an absolute novice, but I am pleased to have spotted Cassie in the photo (which wasn't a bad bash at a sky photo actually).  I shall have to go out myself and see if I can learn Auriga as it looks if I can find Cassie (which I usually do), that Auriga should be within my grasp and then I'd have another one learned.

I had a tough time seeing it myself. Bright stars tend to lose their brightness in photos, making constellations somewhat difficult to pick out from background stars.

That is just me though.

5 hours ago, Mr niall said:

I've really enjoyed this thread! I dont know if anyone has mentioned it @LordLoki but its a great photo!

Thanks man, shortly after the bins I went for a used Canon 60d because i thought it would be nice to share a bit of the view. 

That photo was from my first tests batch where i shot 3 different angles with a ton of different iso and exposure settings. I am lucky to live a bit away from the next big city so on a clear night I get a quite nice view on my roof terrace 

Also fiddled a bit in lightroom with this Foto. 

This hobby just keeps giving me new stuff to play with. :)

Archived