Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Book Review: The Moon- Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock

baggywrinkle

I guess I should not have been surprised that this got a 5 star rating in the Sky At Night magazine as Dr. Aderin-Pocock is a regualr contributor.

Not sure this would even fall into a popular science category....

For me it was too full of exclamation marks and a feeling of 'gosh', 'wow' etc etc. Some good facts were well presented but on the whole a book aimed at beginners. The illustrations were mostly line drawing and not good ones at that, no photographs. So it gets a 3/5 rather than the S@N 5/5

I've just bought this too and although I've only just skimmed it I think the review is a tad harsh. Maggie makes reference to the TV program she did on the moon and it is clearly a much expanded rendition of that. Her writing style is very much a representation of her self confessed passion for the moon and that might be irritating to some but its hard to condemn. The book is advertised at £9.99 but I bought it on line for much less than that so I didn't expect glossy pictures and given that its a well presented hardback I reckon its very good value for money. Given the Sky at Night connection its no great surprise that its written to be accessible by " beginners"  so again I'm not going to condemn it for that, but I think from what I've perused so far,  non-"beginners" might enjoy it too.

Had the impression that it was intended to be a beginners introduction to the moon rather than a reference work. However sounds like it might be an enjoyable read though. £4.99 for the kindle edition isn’t much to pay anyway.

Like the title of the opening chapter. Why be a lunatic. ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/10/2018 at 08:03, baggywrinkle said:

I guess I should not have been surprised that this got a 5 star rating in the Sky At Night magazine as Dr. Aderin-Pocock is a regualr contributor. 

So cynical! Shaoni Bhattacharya is a freelance writer and I suspect that like me she won't give a hoot whether there is any connection between the writer and the magazine! ?

Archived