Finding star hopping awkward with 8" dob

Hi all

After having a couple of goes with my new dob ive come to realise that im finding it a bit difficult star hopping with the dob especially when going near zenith as i have to get into awkward positions. Would i find it easier if i had it raised abit or is it the finderscope? Other than this problem im very pleased with it 

Thanks for the help

Hi

I have a rigel quikfinder fitted to my 8" dob, which enables positioning a target. A 8x50 right angle finder may then assist, in conjunction with a low power wide angle eye piece. Handling the scope near to zenith can be a little awkward perhaps and also depends upon agility, for placement with the rigel may require some bending on one knee. I use a ground mat, useful for a multitude of reasons. Star-hopping requires a good deal of concentration and looking and if need be, referring back to the star chart. It can be a slow but satisfying process as you get to understand and discover the sky at your own pace in your own time, after all what's the hurry. Perhaps in time you do become a little quicker as you gain familiarity and experience, errors can be made at any time, which again is quite simply part of the (satisfying) process. Gaining ability to observe with a dobsonian close to Zenith is quite relevant as there lies the darkest sky, good luck in becoming accustomed to your scope. 

8 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Hi

I have a rigel quikfinder fitted to my 8" dob, which enables positioning a target. A 8x50 right angle finder may then assist, in conjunction with a low power wide angle eye piece. Handling the scope near to zenith can be a little awkward perhaps and also depends upon agility, for placement with the rigel may require some bending on one knee. I use a ground mat, useful for a multitude of reasons. Star-hopping requires a good deal of concentration and looking and if need be, referring back to the star chart. It can be a slow but satisfying process as you get to understand and discover the sky at your own pace in your own time, after all what's the hurry. Perhaps in time you do become a little quicker as you gain familiarity and experience, errors can be made at any time, which again is quite simply part of the (satisfying) process. Gaining ability to observe with a dobsonian close to Zenith is quite relevant as there lies the darkest sky, good luck in becoming accustomed to your scope. 

Hi scarp

Thanks for the advice ill have a look into a mat might make it a bit more comfortable and also the rigel finder. I think also thats my problem i try and rush to find the object.

Thanks again.

I generally avoid anything directly overhead; yes,  it's darkest,  but you can get yourself into a bit of a son hole,  where you are having to twist the base to hop along to the next star,  instead of moving the scope - I find it really hard. 

As above though for other areas of the sky.  I use a telrad to ensure I'm starting at the right star, then a RACI to get close and a wind angle, low powered EP to nail the object.  

Are you using a star map? Try some kind of ring that is the same FOV on the map as is in the EP and finder,  makes it much easier to confirm your location and next step

10 minutes ago, rockystar said:

I generally avoid anything directly overhead; yes,  it's darkest,  but you can get yourself into a bit of a son hole,  where you are having to twist the base to hop along to the next star,  instead of moving the scope - I find it really hard. 

As above though for other areas of the sky.  I use a telrad to ensure I'm starting at the right star, then a RACI to get close and a wind angle, low powered EP to nail the object.  

Are you using a star map? Try some kind of ring that is the same FOV on the map as is in the EP and finder,  makes it much easier to confirm your location and next step

Hi i use either sky safari or thr sky and atlas book, i had seen a video a while ago about the ring technique never got round to doing it

Thanks 

An adjustable observers chair will make observing and fine tuning locating comfortable. As mentioned, a Telrad might be OK, I personally consider it to be a bit too big for my 8" F6 dob, instead use one with a 4" riser base on a 14".

Manual star hopping often seems awkward at first but really does get easier as you get more practice. But observing at the zenith is a bigger learning curve.

It’s worth it though, so satisfying when you get the hang of it. Having said that, it’s not for everyone. I’ve been asked what type of scope shall I get.  For what it’s worth my answer is “ sorry, no idea, I know what suits me, but I don’t know what would suit you “ ?

Ed.

I also struggled to star hop with my 8" Dob, even though I have the Turn Left At Orion & the Star Atlas Pocket Guide books.

After reading through various threads on this forum I purchased a Telrad finder & the Sky-Watcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope.

I now find it much easier to star hop. I am still a novice & have a long way to go but I am slowly getting there, and even though I also have the EQ5 Pro Goto mount I much prefer the frustration of star hopping with the Dob, as the satisfaction of finding an object by myself is a fantastic feeling of achievement.

Purists argue that 'star hopping' is the best way to learn the skies. I disagree. Call me lazy, but I have a GoTo scope that I control by WiFi/SkySafari. I too used to be negative and cynical about watching its cursor go blip blip blip across my tablet screen until I deliberately started to trace that same movement across the skies using the naked eye. I reckon that is the fastest way to become familiar with what's up there. I bought a RACI illuminated finderscope to overcome uncomfortable positions, but now I rarely use it. Instead I have a camera on Hyperstar to look at wide star fields and the FOV is awesome. Then <zoom> in 4k UHD resolution immersive. 'Star Hopping' aided by SkySafari "sat-nav" has a lot of merit. 

Some great advice already @Olli. When I had an 8" scope I too found it tricky to get down to  both view and star hop, often ending up sitting on the floor.

I never tried this, but some people do put their scopes on a base of some sort to get the eye piece a little higher, that might be worth looking into? Needs to be solid and stable obviously.

If I recall correctly @cloudsweeper has done this for his 10" dob with some success.

For that hopping around the zenith thing the rockerbox design seems to have a kind of built in kink were you know it's not a ball scope right away, I did adjust my 8" dobs height with cheap stainless adjustable cabinet feet. Added 3" feet and tipped them with rubber 1/2" feet giving 3 1/2 inches of lift and 1.5 inches of further adjusment for a total of 5 inches. Works awesome for leveling the scope any where on the observatory floor (driveway) and just the right height for my favorite observing chair. These stainless feet come in many sizes and are rugged. Thought I'd share, haven't seen anyone else using these yet for this application. These have been in heavy use 3 years and are holding things up nicely ?

IMG_20180817_034831-01-01.jpeg

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Some great advice already @Olli. When I had an 8" scope I too found it tricky to get down to  both view and star hop, often ending up sitting on the floor.

I never tried this, but some people do put their scopes on a base of some sort to get the eye piece a little higher, that might be worth looking into? Needs to be solid and stable obviously.

If I recall correctly @cloudsweeper has done this for his 10" dob with some success.

Indeed I have Stu!  It's made of old bits of flatpack furniture and various other stout timbers, all screwed together, complete with a neat carrying strap.  50cm square, and 32cm high, solid as a rock, and it lets me peer down the EP from a comfortable standing position across the whole range of elevations.

I love things that cost nothing - makes up for the expense of the main astro-gear!

Doug.

P1060512.JPG

2 hours ago, noah4x4 said:

Call me lazy, but I have a GoTo scope that I control by WiFi/SkySafari.

Although we do our astronomy in very different ways, I certainly wouldn’t call you lazy.

The point is, you’ve found what works for you, and I’ve found what works for me.  Whatever gets you out under the stars has got to be good ?

Cheers from Ed.

Well thanks for all the help its much appreciated :D, glad im not the only one who finds it difficult. Since i had my 130p at the start of the year i have learnt some of the sky but not all and i found the slo mo controls extremely useful which i miss on the dob but i guess its another learning curve.  I will have to look into a finder scope.

For @noah4x4 about go to i was considering going go to but i just like the satisfaction of finding stuff but i do understand why people like it.

@cloudsweeper thanks for sharing that idea looks quote usefull i also saw people use water butts as well

@bish thanks i always forget to take my binoculars out with me they are quite old but are good enough must be easier :)

8 hours ago, Maz2308 said:

I also struggled to star hop with my 8" Dob, even though I have the Turn Left At Orion & the Star Atlas Pocket Guide books.

After reading through various threads on this forum I purchased a Telrad finder & the Sky-Watcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope.

I now find it much easier to star hop. I am still a novice & have a long way to go but I am slowly getting there, and even though I also have the EQ5 Pro Goto mount I much prefer the frustration of star hopping with the Dob, as the satisfaction of finding an object by myself is a fantastic feeling of achievement.

Thanks will have to look into a finder scope i know they can get a bit pricey. And it seems like a telrad or rigel finderscope is a must. I never really got on with turn left at orion i always use the pocket atlas more :)

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Hi stu im in the same boat i usuallly have to kneel on one kneed most of the time i will have more of  a search on how people raise the dobs. The only downside i have found.

Archived