NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cocoon and Dust

Allinthehead

Hi all, this was shot over 2 nights. The first was 3 hrs on the 4th of September and the second 5 hrs was gathered last night. Last night was very difficult with intermittent cloud and for some reason my goto was way off and i was faffing about for about an hour trying to sort it but it was worth the effort in the end.

Cataloged as IC 5146, the nebula is nearly 15 light-years wide, located some 4,000 light years away. A star forming region of reflection, emmision and absorption type giving the reds, blues and dark dust.  It is located near the naked-eye star Pi Cygni, the open cluster NGC 7209 in Lacerta, and the bright open cluster M39. 

Shot with a Takahashi Epsilon sitting on an Az Eq6 with the Asi 071 pro.

190 * 150 second subs at gain 50 sensor cooled to -5.

Stacked in Astro Pixel Processor

Processed in APP, PI and PS.

Feedback as always appreciated and i hope you like it.

Richard.

50550909_Cocoon_8hrFinalcopy2.thumb.png.380d8846be6ffe116927d012a43643cd.png

jpg for slow connections

1063923763_Cocoon_8hrFinalcopy2.thumb.jpg.0201074c0359aff674b686d0e5fd9992.jpg

1749766492_Cocoon_8hrFinalcopy2crop.thumb.png.935f18afd21fe8ce8b0207bf2ef23c29.png

Latest Version

1127515682_Cocoon_8hrFinalcopy2.thumb.jpg.141c94e22353d30949c4f2a0237f8160.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks heaps good... the starfield is crazy dense.... I wonder if the sensitivity of my DSLR will be as good once I cool it?... after all the ASI071 is a APS-C sized OSC CMOS sensor just like a (non full frame) Canon DSLR.

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

That looks heaps good... the starfield is crazy dense.... I wonder if the sensitivity of my DSLR will be as good once I cool it?... after all the ASI071 is a APS-C sized OSC CMOS sensor just like a (non full frame) Canon DSLR.

Thanks. Does your dslr have the same sensor? I'm only cooling this to -5 as the benifits of going lower are small versus the risk of fogging up or frost on the sensor. 

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

That is good.

The dark patches look to me like the head of a deer(?)-type animal with prominent ears, a bit of a snout and a long tongue reaching out to the cocoon.

What were those mushrooms I had with lunch?

pattern.jpg

Thanks. Looks like an Anteater.

7 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks. Does your dslr have the same sensor? I'm only cooling this to -5 as the benifits of going lower are small versus the risk of fogging up or frost on the sensor. 

I'm not sure if it's the exact same sensor but it is a CMOS APS-C color sensor so at the very least it should be similar.

2 hours ago, Petergoodhew said:

Seriously good Richard.  I love the framing. A busy part of space with so much going on.  I wouldn't know where to start with processing such an image!

Thanks Peter. Yes the star field does create issues that i'm not used to dealing with, such as knowing where to place the eyedropper tool for colour balance and background levels, so i did that bit mostly by eye. I also did two versions,  one for the colour and one for luminance, then combined as if i was using a mono camera.

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

Ooooooooooo...... that's stunning..... love it ????

Thanks Sarah. 

47 minutes ago, RayD said:

Excellent, Richard.  Absolutely love it and the FOV is superb, It almost looks like the Cocoon is on fire and moving (top right to bottom left) with a smoke trail.  

Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks Ray. Yes the dust is smokey looking i hadn't  looked at it like that.

45 minutes ago, ampleamp said:

Have always liked this part of the sky and never tried it wide like this. Excellent as always Richard. ??

Thanks Alistair. Glad you like it.

1 hour ago, moise212 said:

Very nice, Richard! What will you shoot now that the moon is up? :D

Thanks Alex. I'm going to go for the Pacman Nebula in Ha to add to an rgb image. I saw a lovely widefield image of this area with lots of dust, so i'm going to try to capture some of that feint nebulosity surrounding the main nebula itself. I'm excited about this one. You?

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks Alex. I'm going to go for the Pacman Nebula in Ha to add to an rgb image. I saw a lovely widefield image of this area with lots of dust, so i'm going to try to capture some of that feint nebulosity surrounding the main nebula itself. I'm excited about this one. You?

I asked on this topic as I thought I could influence you to record some Ha too on this area :D

I'll have a mix of everything for myself, some Orion, some Flame/tadpoles, some H&S.

1 hour ago, moise212 said:

I asked on this topic as I thought I could influence you to record some Ha too on this area :D

Ah yes. Right over my head that went. I did get ha on this but to be honest i didn't like what it did to the image, and i was happier with the rgb. I'm not sure if my ha data was any good however as i had problems when i gathered it. Here it is if you're interested and if anybody else has some decent ha data i'd love to give it a try.

43567308434_7340b7a486_c.jpgCocoon by Richard Sweeney, on Flickr

Archived