Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope House in trouble?

Dragon_Astro

I visited telescope house when they had a shop down near East Grinstead. After they were taken over they seemed to become a bit 'rubbish' so I shopped elsewhere. My last purchases have come from Germany as it was cheaper, even with shipping, than anywhere in UK. Sad really, as I didn't mind going to the shop and paying for stuff when it was open, as you could chat and see stuff.

John 

I bought a guide camera and scope from them a few weeks ago , service was excellent , could not have been happier.  Always found service from Telescope House to be excellent and wholly reliable.

Jim 

Very sadly, the best days at Telescope House are long gone.  When they were at Farringdon in London visiting there was a great experience, Saturdays were more of a club meeting, with enthusiastic (mainly blokes) half filling the place. On rare occasions they actually bought something  ?

Ed.

21 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Very sadly, the best days at Telescope House are long gone.  When they were at Farringdon in London visiting there was a great experience, Saturdays were more of a club meeting, with enthusiastic (mainly blokes) half filling the place. On rare occasions they actually bought something  ?

Ed.

Not necessarily a good thing, I went there once and couldn't tell the enthusiasts from the staff, looked at a few scopes but couldn't get the attention of anyone so left.

Went to the Tunbridge Wells branch a few times to purchase stuff including my Meade 10" LX200R scope and after that to Edenbridge and Starbrough Farm, not been there since they moved again so don't know what it's like now.

Dave

36 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Not necessarily a good thing, I went there once and couldn't tell the enthusiasts from the staff, looked at a few scopes but couldn't get the attention of anyone so left.

Went to the Tunbridge Wells branch a few times to purchase stuff including my Meade 10" LX200R scope and after that to Edenbridge and Starbrough Farm, not been there since they moved again so don't know what it's like now.

Dave

Yup. As a beginner, many years ago, I felt put down by people whose main aim was to show that they knew it all. That is not a way to succeed in business, as we can see...

Olly

10 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Yup. As a beginner, many years ago, I felt put down by people whose main aim was to show that they knew it all. That is not a way to succeed in business, as we can see...

Olly

Yes, there was a bit of that in the Farringdon Road days, but I found that if you “asserted yourself” with them, then the folk were helpful and knowledgeable, if not always friendly.  I, for one, will be sorry if the Telescope House name gets consigned to the dustbin of failed astro businesses.

I always enjoyed my visits to TH in London. I was very "green" back then but the folks there were friendly and I even got to chat with Dud Fuller a few times. I did occasionally buy something small but had practically no budget for the hobby back then. It was nice to have a look and a chat about some lovely instruments all the same. I thought they made a mistake by going practically all Meade for a while. Their 2000 catalogue could have been a Meade one ! :rolleyes2:

On 04/09/2018 at 20:44, Dragon_Astro said:

just done a quick check, and items are showing in stock, so perhaps it was an interim whilst being switched / updated to the new owners?

I have bought two telescopes; a set of binoculars; a tripod and several EPs from them. I have always found them to be very easy to deal with and hope they are not in trouble. The last purchase was a couple of months ago, fast reliable service then anyway. If they are in trouble; losing another seller is not going to be good for anyone, less choice means more cost. I have just looked and unless I am misremembering, they have a much smaller range now than they had a few days ago, though all showing in stock. That's all brands too I think; not a good sign.

3 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

I have bought two telescopes; a set of binoculars; a tripod and several EPs from them. I have always found them to be very easy to deal with and hope they are not in trouble. The last purchase was a couple of months ago, fast reliable service then anyway. If they are in trouble; losing another seller is not going to be good for anyone, less choice means more cost. I have just looked and unless I am misremembering, they have a much smaller range now than they had a few days ago, though all showing in stock. That's all brands too I think; not a good sign.

Range is definately a lot less, as previously mentioned the Skywatcher has taken a big hit....understandably it's mostly Bresser now. What other brands there is is quite minimal compared with what it used to be. Unless it'll be built up again after the take over, who knows?

Used to be a place to visit during my Annual London holiday. Mainly I just browsed around and hoped one day I would be able to afford to buy a Telescope of high quality. That day never arrived unfortunately.   I had to make do with making my own. I really got enjoy that intense labour of love.  If you want an activity of rewarding therapy. Try it, it works, as a few guys here on SGL will attest to.?

I miss having a shop to buy gear from in London after Widescreen moved a couple of years ago. A few months ago I was in Surrey so popped into Telescope House and came away a few hundred quid worse off, but two very nice Delites better off. They couldn't have been friendlier - and I think even gave me a discount. I bought my first scope from the Farringdon Road store 25 years ago. Hope they can keep going.

Archived