SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Couldn't resist..

RiponJas

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, RiponJas said:

It was set to the US when I went to check out at first. Noticed the price, very nice for you over there. ?

I toyed with the idea of getting the set from FLO to see what the fuss was all about, but ended up picking up a used set of Meade 5000 HD-60s with case instead for $300 shipped.  The eye relief being a bit better on the Meades than the BSTs was the main determining factor.  I can use the HD-60s with eyeglasses without having to pull off the eye cups because the eye lens is just about flush with the top once the top is screwed down and the eye cup is flipped down.

IMG_20170519_174729.jpg

vs.

1487531344_9mm10mmEyepieces3.thumb.jpg.47ece7e9b42311219bf448d60307b3e3.jpg

Notice how much less eye lens recession there is on the 9mm Meade vs the 8mm BST.

2 minutes ago, rwilkey said:

Perhaps like this one?  I bought mine over time from Alan at Sky's The Limit and at the beginning they were just £31!

DSC00570.JPG

My OCD's going bonkers that they're not in focal length order ... ?

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

I'd call that in order. If you're going by the colours they are the old explorer colours rather than the new starguider colours. 

Yes, they are all BST Explorers, except the 3.2mm, which is a StarGuider.  They are in diminishing focal length order, with the 3.2mm being the last purchase.  I often have eyepieces in this order as you use the longest focal length first, so it seems logical (at least to me) to have them in usage order.

5 minutes ago, rwilkey said:

Yes, they are all BST Explorers, except the 3.2mm, which is a StarGuider.  They are in diminishing focal length order, with the 3.2mm being the last purchase.  I often have eyepieces in this order as you use the longest focal length first, so it seems logical (at least to me) to have them in usage order.

Very logical. :) 

19 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Be interested to know how the 3.7mm performs when you get the chance Jas. :) 

Hi Gus, actually 3.2mm which I have used, it is really only good for the Moon I have found, didn't find it useful on planets, I use others for planets.  So technically it only has one use in my humble opinion.

3 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Gus, actually 3.2mm which I have used, it is really only good for the Moon I have found, didn't find it useful on planets, I use others for planets.  So technically it only has one use in my humble opinion.

I found my 3.5mm Pentax XW useful on the Trapezium in Orion.  I haven't tried it on globulars yet, but it might prove useful there as well.

17 hours ago, Louis D said:

I found my 3.5mm Pentax XW useful on the Trapezium in Orion.  I haven't tried it on globulars yet, but it might prove useful there as well.

Not tested mine in on the Trapezium, maybe on its next outing....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the ep's got their first light tonight. And have to say I'm impressed. Shame the 8mm hasn't yet arrived as I could of done with it. 

They're all clearer than my previous cheap items so I'm happy. Spent a while mooching around clusters and the whole range was used.. 

Gus, just so you know I had an amazing view of m13 with the 3.2mm so it certainly has a use there. Got down to the 5 on saturn but was too low and hazy to go any higher.. ? 

Plus they look good in the case I inevitably had to buy.. _20180918_185312.thumb.JPG.a7d0c6de2ad6e839ab8306c292cba31d.JPG

29 minutes ago, RiponJas said:

Well, the ep's got their first light tonight. And have to say I'm impressed. Shame the 8mm hasn't yet arrived as I could of done with it. 

They're all clearer than my previous cheap items so I'm happy. Spent a while mooching around clusters and the whole range was used.. 

Gus, just so you know I had an amazing view of m13 with the 3.2mm so it certainly has a use there. Got down to the 5 on saturn but was too low and hazy to go any higher.. ? 

Plus they look good in the case I inevitably had to buy.. _20180918_185312.thumb.JPG.a7d0c6de2ad6e839ab8306c292cba31d.JPG

Cheers Jas. I’ll add one to my list of things still to get! Cheers! Glad you like them all. 

Well the 8mm turned up today. Been a while and to be honest I'm a bit miffed. Looks the same but doesn't have Starguider branding, it says Astroessentials instead. Really not doing my ocd any good. Doesn't match. Have messaged FLO to see what they say.. When I ordered a matching set I expect to receive a matching set. _20180926_172533.thumb.JPG.a2eee87eb7bb771ee30ab912cd1a459e.JPG

24 minutes ago, RiponJas said:

Looks the same but doesn't have Starguider branding, it says Astroessentials instead. 

We weren't expecting that. It wasn't planned. We do have an 'AstroEssentials' brand for generic products, i.e. a Moon filter, that we source from the same manufacturer. I guess they got a bit carried away. 

Steve 

Hi Steve. 

To be honest I don't know if I can keep it, its really playing on my mind with not matching. May seem daft but it's how my head works unfortunately. ?

Going to have to try and source a proper branded item to ease my mind. 

Jas

I see now they have applied ourAstroEssentials brand logo to all the 8mm BST StarGuider eyepieces. 

Not sure what to think. My gut feeling is BST StarGuider eyepieces should stay 'BST StarGuiders' but a number of other retailers have branded them. Perhaps we should too. Does anyone have a preference? 

@RiponJas Please feel free to keep and use the one you have until we can source more with the original brand label. We will then happily swop it so you will have one that matches your other BST StarGuider eyepieces ? 

Steve 

Archived