Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I had to get out, even though the clouds were around, because I'm getting very frustrated with the sky of late. 

Off to Ladybower Reservoir and a pleasant enough evening with the camera. This image is a stack of three subs in Sequator. Not many I'll agree but it was just a quick look at what happens with subs of very different settings. I was trying to see what difference going very short on exposure times would have on star shape. I also threw in closing down a stop with one of them. ( Testing out a new lens ) I also tried a few ways of focusing but I'll leave the results of that until I've done it again.

The results were just as you'd expect. 10 seconds rather than 30 seconds tightens up the stars very nicely ! Closing the lens down one stop is similar but not as good. The other sub was a more standard 25 seconds at f2. The downside is of course noise ! If you wildly under expose the image is very noisy when stretched.

The stars you end up with are spots,  blobs and  sausages. Stack them in Sequator and you get ....... a spotty blob of sausage ! I won't be doing it again and I'll stick to wide open at 25 seconds :)

Good fun. The light pollution is Hathersage and I had to dim the bright bit quite a lot. The colour remained at 5300k.

Dave.

Ladybower.jpg

I love the cars going over the bridge and the lighting effects it had. Lorries were the best :)

OH GEEZ! first i read your description, with only the top quarter of the image showing at the bottom of my screen, then when i scrolled down and saw your breathtaking image i sorta froze a bit.

I don't know where to start, the reflecting glow on the water, the bridge is just beautiful, both in its architecture, and presence in the photo i mean, composition is perfect, exposures are bang on.....

i thought of myself as a good photographer until i joined SGL, you guys are laying a "smack down" here lol, stunning photo really!!

Yes, whatever a smackdown is - one of those. Cracking image. Venus to the right presumably? Or Jupiter? Is that line middle-left a plane or meteor?  I hate to say it but sometimes light pollution works to great effect. 

4 hours ago, Sunshine said:

OH GEEZ! first i read your description, with only the top quarter of the image showing at the bottom of my screen, then when i scrolled down and saw your breathtaking image i sorta froze a bit.

I don't know where to start, the reflecting glow on the water, the bridge is just beautiful, both in its architecture, and presence in the photo i mean, composition is perfect, exposures are bang on.....

i thought of myself as a good photographer until i joined SGL, you guys are laying a "smack down" here lol, stunning photo really!!

That's very generous of you Sunshine. I was originally going to aim more to the right ( South ) but hey, that sky glow !

I didn't even mind not hitting the Milky Way centre :)

Cheers,

Dave.

4 hours ago, 8472 said:

That's pretty good.

Ladybower has been on my radar for a while for a milky way composition. I just haven't got round to it yet. 

Well done.

Thanks mate,

If you want a decent angle on a mosaic then try walking up the other side from the bridge ( Not the Derwent visitor centre road side ) There's a barrier on the road that is often not closed but it's not a long walk to get a good spot. Then you can look more to the right of this image and get close to the centre of the Milky Way.

Dave.

4 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Yes, whatever a smackdown is - one of those. Cracking image. Venus to the right presumably? Or Jupiter? Is that line middle-left a plane or meteor?  I hate to say it but sometimes light pollution works to great effect. 

It's the one you left out, Mars. The sky was so red it made Mars look insipid :)  Venus went down earlier. Jupiter was well round the corner to the right and Saturn was behind the trees !

I daren't touch that light pollution other than tone the centre down a bit.

The three stripes on the left are a plane flying South. Now you can work out how long it took me to change settings. The two stripes that are very visible are 10 seconds each :)

Dave.

9 hours ago, davew said:

It's the one you left out, Mars. The sky was so red it made Mars look insipid :)  Venus went down earlier. Jupiter was well round the corner to the right and Saturn was behind the trees !

I daren't touch that light pollution other than tone the centre down a bit.

The three stripes on the left are a plane flying South. Now you can work out how long it took me to change settings. The two stripes that are very visible are 10 seconds each :)

Dave.

Ah, Mars!  Of course. I should have realised that because it's to the east of the Milky Way. I was only looking at it the other night. Duh! 

Actually it's a slightly misleading image on casual inspection because the LP glow looks like the Sun low down behind clouds. Clever. 

11 hours ago, Fay said:

That is very nice Dave. a great location, and nice to see not only the Milky Way but the sunset as well

Fay

Thanks Fay. I did try a few spots but that was probably the best. It does look just like a sunset doesn't it ?

3 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Ah, Mars!  Of course. I should have realised that because it's to the east of the Milky Way. I was only looking at it the other night. Duh! 

Actually it's a slightly misleading image on casual inspection because the LP glow looks like the Sun low down behind clouds. Clever. 

Yes, the image is a bit strange. Lucky for me the cloud parked just in the right spot for half an hour :)

Dave.

Thanks Gina,

I got a bit lucky with the sky didn't I ? Shortly after I took this photo it did, of course, cloud over.

It had been clear most of the night when I got back home !

Dave.

Lovely, stunning image.

It's dead tricky catching enough photons to light landscapes in extremely dark areas. Often I have to create a composite of different exposures.

Hate to say this but in this case, one up for light pollution!   :D

Exactly right Beulah. We should be ashamed of admitting to " Nice " light pollution :)

You're also right about dark foregrounds. In the main I've got away with shadow recovery in Lightroom. That can cause noise in a very dark place and I've always wanted to try low power, wide angle LED lights that are now being used in the USA's National Parks. Royce Bair is doing this and a link is here - http://intothenightphoto.blogspot.com/2017/02/low-level-landscape-lighting-tutoriallow.html

I've not had much luck light painting so have abandoned it ! I've not had to use multiple foreground exposures yet. Yet.

Dave.

Archived