SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First moon pic

Hi guys,

This is my first moon pic, I used 57 images stacked in registax. Was just a cheap old kit 75-300 mm lens. I’ve still got a long way to go but I think this isn’t a bad first effort. Still have a lot to learn about post processing though. I have a carbon fibre 80mm apo triplet arriving on Wednesday so hopefully I will be able to do much better with that. 

FFB1F66C-1289-4ADD-9837-3E3CF6360C93.jpeg

Thanks Doug and Stu, some of the pics I’ve seen on here are absolutely stunning. I can see quite a bit wrong with this one but I’m still very much a beginner with very basic kit so I really like this as a starting point. 

Mark

That's a nice picture.  What camera were you using and what format did you record your frames in? If you have the option, save your frames in RAW format. It is an uncompressed file format unlike jpg, so you don't loose hard earned data.

I used a Canon 80D with an old 75-300mm lens using RAW. Images stacked in registax and then processed in lightroom.  When I get better at post processing I might reprocess this image as all the data is there. I somehow introduced the grainy effect in post processing but I kind of like it.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

The enlarged image from the 80 (click three times to see it) is far sharper and more detailed.

Yes as well as the better detail from the ED80 I think I have got better at processing although I still have a lot to learn. I managed to keep the noise to a minimum on the second one despite this being a single exposure.

Mark

Archived