NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

migration windows to linux

alacant

5 hours ago, alacant said:

Currently Ubuntu, but as @JamesF mentions, Mint has good support too. If you have a problem with either of those, you'll get help rapidly; large user base. 

Cheers, keep safe, HTH and thanks for the bump.

<shame>I

I must admit I'd forgotten about it:(

</shame>

probably from the bump I gave you....lol

• Haha 1

One question, is there a distro that has a “setup” command rather than boot from bios option? 
my acer aspire has no usb boot function, I can’t burn to disc as I have no burnable discs! Other than some of those atrocious music cds given out by the newspapers a few years back, lol.

chaz

Right! I’ve downloaded UNetbootin, and Linux mint xfce, opened up the install page, asks which drive to install to, I have C and D, c has win 7, d is unused so I want to install to that drive( partition) but it doesn’t show D! Why not?

do I continue to install into C and the move it to D?

ah! This is the live version, should I install to a usb? Even though I cannot boot from usb.

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b

2 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

Right! I’ve downloaded UNetbootin, and Linux mint xfce, opened up the install page, asks which drive to install to, I have C and D, c has win 7, d is unused so I want to install to that drive( partition) but it doesn’t show D! Why not?

do I continue to install into C and the move it to D?

chaz

Drive D is usually allocated to an external type drive, I installed mint on my win 7 laptop keeping it as a dual boot machine but created a partition on the C drive for that purpose.

Alan

It’s loaded and running, that was no real problem, I downloaded to C and restarted as described, the only thing is the screen size! It only fills about 3/4 of the screen....??

chaz

New problem, I found how to increase the size of the screen image, it now fills the screen, but doesn’t allow me access to the bottom menus, I.e clock or the live menus where I got the display info from.....grrrr.

It’s getting late now, so I’ll continue tomorrow, night all....keep safe.

chaz

2 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

Win7 declared the partition as drive D, so I’m puzzled if you say it should be allocated to an external drive.

chaz

It was normal in the old days to have a single hard drive and CD/DVD drive that usually got allocated as drive D. I often wonder why we never had A and B drives..

Alan

6 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

It was normal in the old days to have a single hard drive and CD/DVD drive that usually got allocated as drive D. I often wonder why we never had A and B drives..

Alan

We did didn't we before hard drives we had floppies A and B

Dave

• Thanks 1

Just now, Davey-T said:

We did didn't we before hard drives we had floppies A and B

Dave

Correct, I had forgotten about the floppies, the 5 1/4 was realy floppy and did play with some even bigger ones.

Alan

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

Correct, I had forgotten about the floppies, the 5 1/4 was realy floppy and did play with some even bigger ones.

Alan

I guess once this was coded into the core operating system it was too much trouble to change it when more discs came along.

Dave

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I guess once this was coded into the core operating system it was too much trouble to change it when more discs came along.

Dave

I cut my teeth on one of these bad boys IBM5340 back in the days 256k ram and 256mb HDD max and cost a fortune about 180K back in the 80s with 8"floppys and a cartridge that held 10  as well other IBM offerings you could even walk into in the day. how tech has changed... 

5340-8.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by fozzybear
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 07/04/2020 at 16:15, JamesF said:

Pushing this thread along, has any Linux user have a preference of distro for astronomy?

chaz

My preference for desktop use is Linux Mint, but Ubuntu is probably just as suitable.  Most things seem to "just work" on those.  Obviously there's stuff like Astroberry that's designed for astro use on an RPi, too.

James

I am a big fan of Mint, it is actually built on Ubuntu, and use it on all of my systems as dual boot with Windows 7.

I use K Stars, Stellarium and Virtual Moon Atlas all the time.

There is an Astronomy Distro out there, http://www.distroastro.org/ , which has a lot of scientific software pre-installed although it is quite old now.

• Like 1

Ah, looks like DistroAstro is no more, the download is no longer available.

I have it on an HD that I use on my Obsy PC and I have a CD 'somewhere" so if anyone had a burning desire to have a look, drop me a PM and I will send a copy.

51 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

Do you use anything from that distribution which is no longer available?

Cheers

I do but on Mint.

Just checked what is pre-installed, was a bit surprised!

Unfortunately, updates no longer work, but here is the list:

Aladin

Astro CL - co-ordinate converter

Astro Lab 2

Celestia

GCX Image Processor

GPredict

Gravity

Iimage

IRAF Terminal

Iris

K Stars

Meteroical

Nightshade

Observation Manager

Open Rocket

Open Universe

Planets

Radio Meteor Analyser

Registax 6.1

Sky Charts (Cartes DuCiel)

Sky Globe 6

Stellarium

Star Plots  (star chart viewer)

Virtual Moon Atlas

Where is M13

WXAstro Capture

XEPhem

XTide

Plus, lots of Astro background pics, screensavers etc and a RED theme.

All very well done TBH.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/04/2020 at 02:42, fozzybear said:

cut my teeth on one of these

I like the large hammer; bench, stage right.

Hoping that this will serve as our monthly/quarterly bump.

Cheers everyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alacant said:

I like the large hammer; bench, stage right.

Hoping that this will serve as our monthly/quarterly bump.

Cheers everyone.

that's the minor adjustment tool for delicate work :)

• Haha 1