SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best Grease for Gears?

Sunshine

Hello everyone! i am wondering if it is time to grease the gears on my Vixen GP mount, i have never done this on any mount, upon dismantling the SM control i see it has some grease, not much at all.

The grease is greenish in colour and very thick, more so than honey, if i were to regrease it do i need to remove the existing grease? and what type of grease would be best? 

I was feeling flush this time last year and forked our £18 for the Geoptik grease.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-equatorial-mount-grease-kit.html

Unfortunately events conspired against me and I never managed the planned mount strip down, so I can't tell you if it’s any good or not. 

I’m hoping to do the strip down over the coming weeks....time permitting ?

Steve

I'm intrigued as to why manufacturers don't use a suitable grease in the first place if that is indeed the case, owners  often seem to have alternative options. Most greases are affordable in the amounts necessary for the purpose.

2 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I'm intrigued as to why manufacturers don't use a suitable grease in the first place if that is indeed the case, owners  often seem to have alternative options. Most greases are affordable in the amounts necessary for the purpose.

It's easy to assume greases are unsuitable because they seem too thick and 'gloopy', but with slow moving, highly loaded parts they may well be correct.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/798/grease-selection

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2018 at 20:47, Stub Mandrel said:

I use Finish Line White Teflon grease for anything 'special', sold for bikes, great for everything ?

in my experience, ironically, I've found it not that great for bikes*, but I can see that it'd be perfect for slower-moving parts like this

* I realize I'm on dangerous ground here, especially if you're a cyclist. This topic is akin to religion and politics amongst that community ;) 

On the grounds that in general your mount does exactly One revolution per Day and even when 'fast' slewing' it's hardly mimicking a racing engine pretty much anything you have kicking about will do the job . 

There's been lots of discussion on this over the years with all sorts of bluster about using super-duper , top-end , high-spec , high-price greases in mounts , all unnecessary in my humble opinion ... :wink2:

Sits back comfortably and awaits the onslaught  ... :icon_mrgreen:

Archived