Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New player in the market?

I don't understand anything that involves cameras / photography and so can't comment in that respect,  but just looking at the ota the spider vanes look alarmingly chunky which won't help with contrast - do they have to be that thick?

I can get the same result by sticking my ASI224MC in my kids 4.5" F/4.3 Dob and looking at the screen. The resolution is way lower than looking through the scope directly, but you could get colour on bright objects. The photographs are still misleading. To get that S/N you need longer exposures, and dark and flat correction too.

Somebody that I know has invested in one of those through the crowd funding scheme. I'd have advised against but he did not ask !

Assuming that he gets something sometime next year, I guess I'll be able to have a play with it. I'll probably need to explain why it does not live up to the hype as well :rolleyes2:

17 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I wonder how their "patent-pending" method for identifying the correct FOV differs from, say plate solving? :D

You'd have thought there was so much prior art there that any patent application was almost doomed to trip over some of it.  Of course just because you've applied for a patent doesn't mean you'll get it or that it won't be sucessfully challenged in the future.  Perhaps they've just applied for the patent in Outer Mongolia to enable the claim to be made in marketing?

I'm not sure why they felt the need to include an eyepiece.  If all you're really doing is looking at a display, why not just use a tablet or mobile phone to show the image?

James

Ok, I think it's one of those marketing things, that fill a gap in the market. Of course an intermediate stargazer could do a lot better with a small scope, a cheap camera, but some beginners are attracted  to bundle and "hassle free" products.

It's like the revolution imager bundle (which is good enough) or a small goto scope that will point you to millions of objects, but you won't actually see more than a dozen.

All of the above are good to have as long as the manufacturer does not mislead you as of their capabilities. Then again how many 40-60mm scopes have I seen advertised as capable of 500x mag??

I think that is where fora like this really shine by providing information beyond the manufacturer's ads and over-optimistic specs.

The advertizing is shameless. I have patents pending* on the Well Honed, Easy-gliding, Ever-rolling, Locomotorizer - a device which will permit the smooth transportation of inanimate and animate objects over uneven terrain with low energy input and reduced risk of surface-induced impacts.

Olly

*Pending closing time, that is.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

The advertizing is shameless. I have patents pending* on the Well Honed, Easy-gliding, Ever-rolling, Locomotorizer - a device which will permit the smooth transportation of inanimate and animate objects over uneven terrain with low energy input and reduced risk of surface-induced impacts.

Olly

*Pending closing time, that is.

People are always reinventing stuff :grin:

Dave

PS You didn't need to highlight the capitals

Archived