Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Messier 13 with a 12" scope

John

Last night the views of the great globular cluster in Hercules, Messier 13 were truly magnificent with my 12" dobsonian. The nearby Messier 92 was wonderful as well :icon_biggrin:

I spent a good part of my session observing, with a little awe, I have to say, these ancient objects as they rose higher into the sky. Their famillarity does not diminish the splendour of the view one bit, IMHO.

I'm not an imager or much of a sketcher really but I wanted to try and capture what can be seen at the eyepiece of a scope of around this aperture. The result is below - it's not my image but I've cropped the frame to show pretty much the view I had at 220x last night. I compared this at some length with the eyepiece view and I think it's pretty accurate for a scope in the 10"-12" range at around 200x, depending on your sky conditions :icon_biggrin:

M13.jpg

John like you I can never get enough of M13. By the way did you see the propeller last night. When I was in California last weekend I viewed M13 with the 17.5 inch Newt on the mountain top and the propeller was so clear in fact the best I have ever seen it.

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

John like you I can never get enough of M13. By the way did you see the propeller last night. When I was in California last weekend I viewed M13 with the 17.5 inch Newt on the mountain top and the propeller was so clear in fact the best I have ever seen it.

I saw a propellor Mark but I'm not sure if it was the propeller :icon_scratch:

The more I stare into the heart of M13 at high power, the more my eye seems to start joining stars and darker areas together. I may have seen the whole aeroplane at one point ! :icon_biggrin:

Nice report John!

Yeah love globs :thumbsup:  In my 10" from my back garden in Bortle 5 or 4 skies, M13 appeared rather dim, still amazing.  But wow the difference with increased aperture in my 15".  I haven't observed it from a truly dark site - some day ;)

I quite enjoy globs across low, med and zooming in on the core with high powers. Sometimes its pretty amazing just to back off to a wider fov.

Archived