Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some Solar Close Ups - 2018-05-07

PhotoGav

Thank you folks.

I would hope that the original purchaser would be thrilled by the images. Though I am fairly sure he would be asking excitedly whether I had discovered anything new yet. The gentleman was a certain Joseph Barclay of Leyton, London, who bought the scope as a hobby instrument, installed in his back garden observatory. He was an amateur astronomer who employed assistants to scan the skies, primarily to discover new double stars. While not actually attributed to the scope, the observing notes suggest that they split Procyon as a double just before it was officially recognised as a double!

It is indeed very special to have access to such a fabulous historical scope and be trusted to just get on and use it. It would be much easier to use a smart new scope with a faultless mount, but how boring would that be?!!?

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Have you posted pictures of it anywhere Gavin? Would be interested to see

There’s a pic down this thread somewhere:

And a couple in this thread:

And one of it in solar action in this thread:

And one from the solar session yesterday:

570A97EC-F2DB-48AC-A67A-6D498961E502.thumb.jpeg.f42f7c182bdab5a39efd4e58cd255fc4.jpeg

The problem is it’s so big it’s hard to get it all in with my iPhone camera!!

2 hours ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

Great images and scope, this reminds me I've been meaning to take a peek through Yerkes 40" refractor and 24" reflector this summer. 

40.jpg

Ouch, 40” refractor, that’s just showing off!!! A little research informs me that it is the largest refractor in the world. Now, that would give some views! I look forward to hearing your report.

27 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shots Gav, nice little scope too :happy7: dos it have goto. charl.

Thanks Charl. Amazingly it does have GoTo! In fact, it is the oldest computerised telescope... in the world!!!

thats amazing mate, its deff got the drool factor, it a wonderfull sight in your pics all that brass dos something to the mind what you dont get from moden scopes, have you had a look at jupiter yet? charl.

15 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

thats amazing mate, its deff got the drool factor, it a wonderfull sight in your pics all that brass dos something to the mind what you dont get from moden scopes, have you had a look at jupiter yet? charl.

Absolutely right, there is something very special about the scope, such a rich history, and amazingly good optics, especially when you think the objective was made so long ago. A long gone era of superior British workmanship!

As for Jupiter, it gives the best views of the planets I have ever had, Saturn is simple exquisite through it and Uranus actually looks planet like. I was at the Dome trying to image Jupiter last Sunday night. Not the best images as I’m just learning and Jupiter is pretty low at the moment, but you can see the results here:

Archived