NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter Ganymede and GRS - 6-7May2018

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Ruud said:

It's wonderful. Congratulations!

Thanks Ruud, I appreciate the kind feedback. Given what I've seen before and since that may be my only decent image of Jupiter this year and I was surprised and delighted to get it. Regards, Geof

2 hours ago, astroman001 said:

This is by far the best UK based image of Jupiter this year. Well done for getting such a great result.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I was extremely lucky. I almost missed this wonderful opportunity as I was so frustrated and tired from several consecutive nights of poor seeing that I almost passed this one up....!! However, as soon as I turned the camera on Jupiter that Sunday night I knew this was going to be different. Even then the 45 minutes or so around transit was something else. It just shows that planetary imaging from the UK requires perseverance and luck as you never know when the seeing gods are going to give us those fleeting moments of sublime conditions. Cheers,  Geof

Very well done this is a fantastic image Geof, even more so with it being from the UK...

bob.

54 minutes ago, bob-c said:

Very well done this is a fantastic image Geof, even more so with it being from the UK...

bob.

Thanks Bob, indeed a very surprising result with Jupiter at a mere 20 degrees altitude; it just proves that ‘seeing’ is everything for planetary imaging. It is at least as good, if not better than anything I got 4-5 years ago when Jupiter was as up at ~60 degrees. Geof

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Gina said:

A beauty :)  Just shows what a big scope can do.  And a good operator too, of course.

Thanks Gina, I appreciate the kind words, but scope and operator can do nothing without good seeing and boy was I lucky that night ?. Cheers, Geof

On 22/05/2018 at 18:21, astroman001 said:

This is by far the best UK based image of Jupiter this year. Well done for getting such a great result.

Peter

As said above, its as good as they get, even more so at this low elevation! Well done Geof its a superb image!

3 hours ago, skybadger said:

I do like this - shows what a C14 and good handling can do. Well done that man and get me a C14.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

The C14 is pretty much the go to scope for planetary imaging which is why I got it, picked it up 2nd hand for a tad over £2k trading in my beloved 10” Meade LX200 as part payment. I’ve had some work done on it to improve collimation performance and clean the optics and it’s now a joy to use. That said from the U.K. getting good planetary data is ALL about the seeing, with much perseverance through many poor nights to get that one time when it comes good, which is what happened for me that night. It was almost a surreal experience to see that quality on screen and then at the eyepiece with Jupiter barely above 20 degrees altitude. Nothing has come close to that since then, despite many nights and hours of data collection and processing.....

Cheers, Geof

2 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

Great image and albedo detail on Ganymede too! 

Thanks, it’s the first and only time that I captured albedo markings on one of Jupiter’s moons. I think I could see them at the eyepiece as there was absolutely no scintillation that night, though I’m not sure if that’s even possible.....

Geof

Archived