Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

FLO

Skywatcher 190mm Maksutov-Newtonian Astrograph

125 posts in this topic

We have the first picture of the new Skywatcher Explorer 190MN Mak Newt astrograph.

Edit: Picture updated Jan 10, now has white trim and dual-speed focuser.

My next telescope!

skywatcher_mak_newt_astrograph_sgl.jpg

Edit 7th Dec 08: A big thank-you to SteveL this superb image made using the 190mm Mak-Newt :undecided:

(Click on the image for a larger version).

m42_20081206_800.jpg

Edit 11th April 09: Another from SteveL, using the 190MN and Starlight Xpress MX25 :)

(Click on the image for a larger version).

20090401_leo_trio_wip1_800.jpg

Edited by FLO

Gaaaaah! That looks so very VERY sexy... I'll take one, plus a dew shield, a dew band and a dual speed moonlite please :undecided:.

Do the tube rings and dovetail come supplied?

Tony..

mmmmmmm, very nice! Think my previous thought 'I'm happy with the scopes I have' was a bit premature. Me want one of them.

Gary

I think you will shift a few of those Steve. It's a classy looking OTA, And I might have to sell something to get me one. I see you have bagged the first one for theeself. :)

Ron. :undecided:

.... plus a dew shield, a dew band and a dual speed moonlite please :)

My thoughts precisely :undecided:

Do the tube rings and dovetail come supplied?

The tube rings and right-angled finderscope will be included, not sure about the dovetail.

... The downside (don't kill me!) is of course that you cannot make a newt shorter than it's focal length. It's still going to require a rahter sturdy mount, and be voulnerable to wind... Something for my HEQ5`? or the EQ6 I cannot afford at the moment? That is the question :undecided:

How would a scope like this compare (optically) to a f/10 8" SCT with a 0.63 reducer? (The OTA costs around £1000....) Is the mak-newt going to be cheaper?

Glenn, the big advantages of the Mak-Newt design are you get the advantages of an APO refrator (contrast, flat field) and the aperture of a reflector. But the downsides are that it's heavy (I reckon EQ6 minimum for this beastie) and the usual eyepiece contortion fun you sometimes get with reflectors. These have been on sale in the US under the Orion badge for a while now and they seem to be getting favourable reports so fingers crossed. These particular models do have a larger secondary than the Intes Mirco models which probably does lessen the contrast a touch for visual but apparently it'll give a flat field to the edge for DSLR's.

Tony..

I'm expecting an invite from whoever gets to test it :undecided::) :) :D

Maybe Steve will 'donate' one to the forum and it can visit us all in time.... :-)

Gary

I'm expecting an invite from whoever gets to test it :undecided::) :) :D

After me, you're next!

I take it you'll be using it at a dark sky Steve.. :undecided:

Looks very nice... :mrgreen:

That just looks so "professional"!!!

I've always liked that Orion "gun metal gray" paint scheme.

Its cute - almost makes me want to take up imaging just so I can justify one :undecided:

I see you have bagged the first one for theeself. :undecided:

Oh yes! I have always fancied a Maksutov-Newtonian and have been eagerly awaiting this one for some time :mrgreen:

How would a scope like this compare (optically) to a f/10 8" SCT with a 0.63 reducer? (The OTA costs around £1000....) Is the mak-newt going to be cheaper?

It hasn't arrived yet but when it does SteveL will be the first to test it, his camera has a DSLR sized chip so will benefit from its flat field and even illumination.

We haven't a price yet but it will definitely be below £1,000 8)

I take it you'll be using it at a dark sky Steve.. :)

I'll be hotfooting it to your porch soon after it arrives :thumbright:

If it's anything like my 8" intes mak newt the answer is STUNNING best views of the planets i have seen i sold my 178 Astro Physics APO refractor after a side by side test on saturn.

Any idea how one of these would be for visual use?

It is primarily an astrograph so an optically flat and even field of illumination for coma-free images and a fast f/5.3 focal ratio is priority, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't also perform well visually.

Steve will it be OTA only?

I was going to get myself an HEQ5 but if this comes with a mount option I might have to rethink my plans (and start some serious sweet talking :undecided: ).

It will certainly be available as an OTA. We shall also list it packaged with the HEQ5 and EQ6 range of mounts but there is no longer a price-advantage to buying them together the way there was last year.