Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bagged Another Galaxy!

cloudsweeper

First observation for over two weeks - I was pleased to see a clear sky in the late afternoon, so set up in anticipation.

9.30 - aligned the 8SE on Arcturus.  First target, Alula Australis, a tight double in UMa (1.6") - seeing poor, no joy at high mag.  Globs M3 and M53 didn't show as much more than fuzzy patches, so the session was not looking too promising.

Anyway, I then tried for NGC 4494, an elliptical galaxy in Coma Berenices - one I have not yet seen - and was delighted to spot it easily as a faint patch in DV, SW of SAO 82354, and with the distinctive pair SAO 82328/82330 further west.

Good to get out again, after all the recent cloud.  Conditions were not great, and there was a lot of stray light, but nonetheless a satisfying 80 minutes.

Doug.

Nice one, Doug. It doesn’t take much to satisfy after a long break. Just had a quick look at Jupiter through the bins. Next week’s forecast is looking great here. The dob may finally get it’s first dark site trip. I saw you were edging towards a 10” dob. For what it’s worth a find a 10” dob quite easy to handle. I think a 12” might just have been a bit too much. Having said that, the Orion 12” dob is supposed to be quite light and easy to handle. I guess the question would be how much do you move around during a session? At home, it’s not uncommon for me to shift the scope to different parts of the garden 3 or 4 times over the course of a session. The portability was a big factor in my choice of scope. 

Nice one domstar. The seeing was awful here during the day for solar, so I’m not surprised you struggled with detail on globs or doubles. At least you had a success with the galaxy. Forecast looking good so fingers crossed we all get some good viewing in.

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice one domstar Doug. The seeing was awful here during the day for solar, so I’m not surprised you struggled with detail on globs or doubles. At least you had a success with the galaxy. Forecast looking good so fingers crossed we all get some good viewing in.

Thanks Stu - do try to keep up!  :happy11:

I'm planning on another early hours session soon - should have further galactic successes then I hope.

@Littleguy80 - Neil - what might clinch it for me would be to take a peek down a 10" to see if the improvement was significant.  But the manageability and FOV factors are very appealing.

@Knighty2112 - Gus - Venus is always good to see.  And I'm off soon to collect my winnings from yesterday.  There must be something astro-related I can put them towards....

@Demonperformer , @domstar - DP, Dom - Yes, new objects are good to catch, and galaxies are always pleasing.  I've only managed 28 of them so far, but that's not bad with my skies.  Maybe I should start a "galaxy count" thread - I know some folk have run into thousands!

Doug.

38 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

@Littleguy80 - Neil - what might clinch it for me would be to take a peek down a 10" to see if the improvement was significant.  But the manageability and FOV factors are very appealing.

It's shame you're not closer or you could certainly have a look through mine. You could probably buy a dob for the cost of the petrol/diesel to get to Norfolk from Merseyside ;) 

18 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Globs M3 and M53 didn't show as much more than fuzzy patches, so the session was not looking too promising.

Yes, that not a good sign, but nice one Doug. Always great to find and see a new one. 

So still in favor of the 10"? :icon_biggrin:

18 minutes ago, Eastman said:

Yes, that not a good sign, but nice one Doug. Always great to find and see a new one. 

So still in favor of the 10"? :icon_biggrin:

Well Gert, I think I am.  As I said, the size and the FOV are good points.  And the cost.  But I might change my mind tomorrow.  I really need to hear from someone who has used an 8", 10", and 12" all at the same time so I can make a final decision!

Doug.

I have an 8 and a 12 inch revelation. Had the 8 inch first. Thought the 12 would make a big difference. In the end there isn't that much in it, depending on your skies and the targets. The 12 inch is a beast and although it is manageable, I have to separate the base and the scope to move it and that is a bit of a pain. I have put handles on the make it easier to move. The 8 inch can be moved all in one so to speak. In all honesty if I did it again I'd get a quality 10 inch with as good quality mirrors as I could afford and I'm certain that would be the perfect combination of quality viewing with portability. Not sure I that helps but it's my perspective.

Good luck in the final choice.

Steve

Archived