Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Lens 1st Light Wierdness

Finally I have a clear night and can get out and do some imaging.

As my AVX is still poorly, am using my Star Adventurer tonight and thought I would try my new Canon 75-300 lens that I got off eBay with my CCD and Ha filter.

Lens is at 75mm and wide open as do not have a body to use to stop it down.

Am getting some strange weirdness going on in my subs, image is below.  This is just a stretch and save as JPG of a single 300s sub

I am feeling that this is an internal reflection between the filter and lens.  I have the filter screwed to the front of the lens with an adapter to get it to fit.

Am I right in my thinking, or is there something else going on?

I can overcome it by moving the filter inside the Geoptik adapter, but that is a bit of pain, but may have to do this.

Reflections.thumb.jpg.e3d19b65d154f0f4fc422277c076e540.jpg

Typical aint it.

Just checked another sub that has been donwloaded after I put this post up and got this

Typical.thumb.jpg.c4c847ae02b32363dd5ebeec65e89f8b.jpg

Only change, apart from the slight re-frame was that I adjusted the balance on the mount as I was wondering if it was off a wee bit.

Just going to leave it to run now.  Have it set for 36 x 300s, so after loosing the 1st 2 and down to 34, so slightly less than 3 hours of data to use.  Will deffo be staying up and doing some flats for this one as want to get something half decent.

I found the same thing with my AZ-EQ6 quite a while back. A severe case of the hiccups on the odd frame.

It was balance related. After a re-balance all was well. 

Best of luck.

1 hour ago, Tim said:

Sooooo jealous of your clear skies...... Looks like you'll make the most of them with that setup too, nice!

Don't be. Is cloudy now. Also got hit with IT gremlins too. My NAS decided to stop responding and also the power settings on my laptop put screen off after 10 mins which crashed sgp. 

Restarted and let it run for 2 hours but not sure how many useable subs I have

Will check over the weejend

Archived