Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7000 135mm Widefield (and wide open! LOL)

Really this is a test sequence from last night. Was trying out a 135mm M42 lens which I haven't used before. Left it wide open f2. I was also testing my Ekos auto routine as I haven't used it for a while, so this imaging started 2 hours before astronomical twilight and consists of:

354x30s ISO1600 Lights

30 darks

60 flats

60 bias

Totally stacked and processed in Siril using OSC Script and standard post process steps (background, green noise, photometric, autostretch) - so this is all pretty much default 'as is' output.

I think the lens will create so great images when I use it stopped down a little.... 🤞

NAMSiril.png

• Like 1

This post should be in the imaging section, not observing, easy mistake to make.

You've captured some great detail in the image, looks like the lens works well. I would say looking at the edges at the radial star distortion your camera sensor may be a little too far away from the lens, can you move it closer? This is also evident in the bloated larger stars which looks ever so slightly out of focus due to not having correct infinity focus.

Otherwise a very good attempt.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Elp said:

This post should be in the imaging section, not observing, easy mistake to make.

You've captured some great detail in the image, looks like the lens works well. I would say looking at the edges at the radial star distortion your camera sensor may be a little too far away from the lens, can you move it closer? This is also evident in the bloated larger stars which looks ever so slightly out of focus due to not having correct infinity focus.

Otherwise a very good attempt.

Thanks, my bad. 

I have a couple of M42 adaptors so I’ll check I’m using the right one for the lens. Also, the focus was done purely using Ekos - I just let it do it’s thing - so that could also have an impact.

When the next clear night arrives I’ll set it all up properly with the lens stopped down and hopefully it’ll be better.

Thanks so much for the feedback though. Much appreciated 😊

Daz