Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to guide with a telephoto camera lens?

Hi all,

If I buy an HEQ5 mount and use my Sigma 150-600 lens on it, nearer the 400mm-600mm range, I'd obviously have to guide for longish subs, how would I go about attaching a guidescope to it? If someone could explain how it can be done I'd be very grateful indeed. Obviously with a refractor you can simply add a guidescope ontop of it but I don't know how it can be done with a telephoto camera lens.

Any advice much appreciated.

Perhaps some kind of vixen saddle bar that has 2 attachments, one for the DSLR and one for the guide scope. This link is probably not what you need but gives you an idea.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-vixen-type-v-series/adm-v-series-side-by-side-mounting-system.html

However rather than waste money on one of those consider a small ED refractor that can be had for around £200.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys - regarding sub length I'd be very happy with 1-2 minutes for the time being, I don't mind stacking lots of subs to stretch out the data. If that's feasible with my Sigma at 600mm on an HEQ5 without guiding then that'd be great!

• 1 year later...