Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tiangong-1

Hi all,

Tiangong 1 is expected to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere between Sunday night and early morning on Monday ( I don't know whether this is a reliable source or not, there are many different information about the re-entry time as it is very difficult to predict. ). But, I am relying on the time given by Heavens Above when the craft passes through Malaysia. Any advices when observing the re-entry of Tiangong 1? Thanks.

Happy viewing!

For your best likelihood of seeing the re-entry, I would make sure that you are seeing all passes, not just visible passes. CalSKY does a good job of showing this. Once you have this info, try to be outside for all those passes, just in case it comes down early or late by one orbit. Best of luck!

That's Sunday evening for the continental U.S. No threats expected. But fragments are not ours to keep (!!!)

From the original NPR article by Camila Domonoske:
"The 're-entry prediction window' from ESA has tightened significantly, to a four-hour window centered on 1 a.m. UTC on Monday...
As for location, ESA says the craft will fall somewhere between latitudes 43 North and 43 South. That includes a vast swath of the planet, including the entirety of Africa, most of South America, the continental U.S. from Boston south, and much of China...As NPR's Scott Neuman noted in our earlier reporting, this is emphatically not an April Fool's joke ".

It's expected that debris will likely fall in the ocean but the article warns: "If, by chance, the debris lands a little closer to home, ESA warns it's not yours to keep".

Here's the original article:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/01/598665290/chinese-space-lab-expected-to-crash-to-earth-on-sunday-night

If you can, watch the skies tonight!

4 hours ago, JamesF said:

Now 01:07 UTC +/- two hours (so midnight to 2am-ish, UK time), according to the BBC.

James

Just realised that should be 11pm to 3pm.  Failure to add and subtract two hours error :(

James

Looks like it wasn't observed or filmed, no reports online of either.

Though I did see on YouTube someone post a re-entry video of it 12 hours before it happened. The video has now gone, but I think it was an old video of the Jules Verne ATV burning up over the Pacific in 2008.

I checked www.spaceweather.com just a few minutes ago and they say no reports of images or video have been known of as of right now . I seen that video above . Reminds me of the Columbia Space Shuttle that blew up over E.Texas  back in 2003 . I seen it fly over W.Texas just  minutes before it exploded . Horrifying experience , still makes me sad for the crew . 

Archived