Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2018_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a4fa178de7d36660e48f7eb1205319eb.jpg

Cyrus01

Looking for Astronomy audiobook recommendations

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good beginner astronomy book please? I would prefer a audiobook if possible. Something I can listen to while using my telescope. There are so many out there, who knows which to go for first.

Cosmos by Carl Sagan. It's not just specifically about astronomy, but it's a fantastic book. I'll be curious what others recommend as I love audiobooks and listen to them in the car for over at least an hour every day.

Maybe not really what you are after, but if you listen to podcasts, then I can recommend Astronomy Cast

Cant remember the name but there is a Patrick Moore audioguide on astronomy on CD

On 14/03/2018 at 13:12, Buzzard75 said:

Cosmos by Carl Sagan. It's not just specifically about astronomy, but it's a fantastic book. I'll be curious what others recommend as I love audiobooks and listen to them in the car for over at least an hour every day.

I’ve just finshed listening to this, and I have to agree with you. It is fantastic, so full of “wow!” moments, and Levar Burton's reading is just perfect too. I have now begun watching the TV version with Neil  Degrasse Tyson!

+1 for Astronomycast. I really enjoy listening to it. Also "Vault of the Heavens" with James Kaler. There are some other good ones, but can't think of the names at the moment, but will dig thru my stuff and let you know.

An off the wall suggestion but it is FREE.....

Try the Celestron 'SkyPortal' APP for I-Pad, I-Phone or Android.

Basically it is a real time Sky Map that can be used to control Celestron telescopes but also has value off-line for owners of any telescope. It identifies the location of planets, stars and DSO's; then offers superb photographs and text narrative, but many are additionally supported by excellent Audio Description. 

Edited by noah4x4