Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking for Astronomy audiobook recommendations

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good beginner astronomy book please? I would prefer a audiobook if possible. Something I can listen to while using my telescope. There are so many out there, who knows which to go for first.

Cosmos by Carl Sagan. It's not just specifically about astronomy, but it's a fantastic book. I'll be curious what others recommend as I love audiobooks and listen to them in the car for over at least an hour every day.

• 4 months later...
On 14/03/2018 at 13:12, Buzzard75 said:

Cosmos by Carl Sagan. It's not just specifically about astronomy, but it's a fantastic book. I'll be curious what others recommend as I love audiobooks and listen to them in the car for over at least an hour every day.

I’ve just finshed listening to this, and I have to agree with you. It is fantastic, so full of “wow!” moments, and Levar Burton's reading is just perfect too. I have now begun watching the TV version with Neil  Degrasse Tyson!

+1 for Astronomycast. I really enjoy listening to it. Also "Vault of the Heavens" with James Kaler. There are some other good ones, but can't think of the names at the moment, but will dig thru my stuff and let you know.

An off the wall suggestion but it is FREE.....

Try the Celestron 'SkyPortal' APP for I-Pad, I-Phone or Android.

Basically it is a real time Sky Map that can be used to control Celestron telescopes but also has value off-line for owners of any telescope. It identifies the location of planets, stars and DSO's; then offers superb photographs and text narrative, but many are additionally supported by excellent Audio Description. 

• 2 weeks later...

Download "astronomy podcast free" from Google play store. It includes astronomy cast, college lectures, astronomy 365, silicon valley astronomy and a slew of others. Astronomy cast and the college lectures are my gotos. But all are pretty good.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently finishing up The Glass Universe: How the Ladies of the Harvard Observatory Took the Measure of the Stars by Dava Sobel. It's an account of how they categorized stars by spectrum lines, magnitude, classified them, and discovered variable stars as well as all their other accomplishments and the use of the glass plates to do all their research. It's all stuff I've heard before, but there are a lot of first hand accounts and stories that are also included.

If you feel like subscribing to ‘Audible’ - it costs £7.99 a month for a new audio book each month and there are frequent special offers - there are loads of good astronomy titles to choose from. (Other topics and fiction as well if you want). You download and can play on any suitable device - my iphone is packed with them. I listen in the car all the time and have enjoyed, for example, the titles by James Kaler and Neil deGrasse Tyson as being easily listenable and engaging. There’s plenty of more demanding stuff available as well. That said, there’s so much on there, you’re spoilt for choice. 

John E 

Archived