Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus and Mercury now

kerrylewis

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally managed to view these two chaps this evening when the cloud finally allowed. At the moment Mercury needs binos to see but I'm sure very soon it will be visible naked eye, hope the cloud stays away for half an hour!

Managed to set up the Tak/Ioptron combination on my bit of flat roof so got them both in the scope for this first time this year. Venus slightly gibbous but almost a full disc. Mercury a 'fat' crescent. Don't very often see this innermost planet through the scope. Both planets obviously showing quite a bit of false colour so I quickly tried the ADC (Atmospheric Dispersion corrector). Not really used this much to date and it's been a while since I read the instructions, but by juggling with the two 'controls' I got a noticeable reduction in false colour. Both planets now a purer white. 

I even did a quick swing round to Sirius which was also noticeably freer of colour and looking clear white. Very encouraging for the upcoming 'low planet season' when I intend to use this device more. 

A few dark clouds drifting in but both planets easily visible to the naked eye as I came down from my perch. Mercury not yet at greatest elongation but now much higher than Venus.

Popped out again and caught them both with the naked eye, beautiful sight, even if slightly tricky between the houses.

Glad the ADC is working for you Kerry, perhaps worth another try some time.

19 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I just had the kids out to see them both. As usual it was the biggest kid who was most excited ;) 

That’s great Neil- lovely to be able to show our neighbouring worlds to the young ones. I’m still a big kid when it comes to the planets. Wife: what are you doing? Me (in Basil Fawlty voice): Nothing dear! 

Cycling home through Richmond Park (towards and up Sawyers Hill) at 1840, Mercury was obvious and bright, above and to the right of Venus. I haven't quite yet mastered the art of using binoculars whilst cycling so it was definitely naked eye only ;) , but easily seen with my mark 1 eyeballs. I am very excited, I stopped at the top of Sawyers Hill for a few moments in the hope of collaring another cyclist and enlightening them, but nobody came, I had them to myself.

I've never seen Mercury before, and I look forward to seeing more of it in the next fortnight or so, perhaps even from SW Ireland around Easter.

Magnus

I found Mercury and Venus late this afternoon with the 127mm Mak and SLT GoTo.  I tracked Mercury till dusk to see where they went among the buildings.  I managed to find Venus and then Mercury with the binoculars at dusk.  Eventually Venus and then Mercury became naked eye objects. Mercury was easy to see with the naked eye once I knew where and when to look - gratifying since this is an urban area. 

I thought about trying to image Mercury but there was not time to move the telescope to a clear position and by this time it was very low and the seeing bad.  If I get another clear evening soon I know now where to put the telescope for a clear view.

Just had a view between the clouds - Venus was a shimmering globe. I had a better view of Mercury in the achro. At 50x with the lens masked, could see a upturned phase, bowl like - this was around 18.30

andrew

I had my best chance yet this evening, cloud banks low down in the west, but there was a reasonable clear patch moving in. Would it happen before our two neighbours set for another evening? Would they 'eck as like!

I''ve tried stretching this iPhone image but it may surprise you to learn that I still couldn't see them. For now I'll make do with an arrow showing their estimated position, that way I can imagine that I saw them. :)

Hey ho, there's still some time yet.

IMG_0119.thumb.jpg.d0bbd2d491cff3d0c8435138d2b5b8f4.jpg

Nice moody picture John, shame about those elusive planets!

Just to be annoying, I can report a nice view this evening, both visible naked eye a little later and fitting in the widefield binos well.

A clear sky awaits you soon sir!

18 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Congratulations on your first time. I'm sure I've read somewhere that less than 10% of the population has seen our innermost planet, so welcome to the 10%-club.

What made me check , was the brightness of Mercury. Did not realise it was a naked eye object.

Will have to be ready with  the scope & camera next time.   :cool:

Just looking at Venus and Mercury again - Mercury bowl like at 85x but the star of the the show -  have a look at the thin Moon it's breathtaking ! Quick iPhone grab does it no justice.  Glorious earthshine with v Psc close.

andrew

IMG_0092.JPG

earthshineJPG.JPG

40 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

Just looking at Venus and Mercury again - Mercury a upturned bowl but the star of the the show -  have a look at the thin Moon it's breathtaking ! Quick iPhone grab does it no justice.  Glorious earthshine with v Psc close.

andrew

IMG_0092.JPG

earthshineJPG.JPG

Great images, Andrew. Caught Venus just before it sunk into the cloud. Have Mercury and a very pretty Moon right now!

Outstanding views for me too this evening. I was observing with mounted Tento 8x40 binoculars. Just enough magnification to determine irregularities on the Lunar terminator from 18:40, at 18:50 I panned across to Venus and stayed on it keeping it in the lower left of the field. Waiting for Mercury to come into view, which it did at 19:04. They looked lovely in the same field, Venus Dazzling and Mercury a mere pinkish/grey point.

By 19:10 I was able to spot Mercury naked eye so I took some snaps to finish off the session before coming home for beef stew, nice way to end a cold (bitter) session, once I got feeling back in my fingers!

The Moon/Earthshine was the star of the show. Last image is a beauty if I say so myself with v Psc nearby.

5ab01859b8be4_MoonVenusMercuryLandscape19-03-18.thumb.jpg.f4f7432785b2c68b50141bdecb66462a.jpg

5ab0185811dc2_MoonVenusMercurysquare19-03-18.thumb.jpg.9ba36df6447d6105e6922ae342c452b6.jpg5ab0185ce526a_Earthshine19-03-18.thumb.jpg.355b138dddd5beb368222ca0a4a9b482.jpg

Archived