Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power Hubs - Pegasus OR HitecAstro

Hi All,

I am taking me cable management drama to the next level.

Yes everything is tidied up, looped around, no cable snags but for some reason it's still all about plugging all the hardware in and cable it up blah blah blah and since i have to setup my kit every time, this takes a big chunk out of the imaging time. 

So i sold my tracer battery and my dew heater controller so got some funds available to invest in to one of the two bad boys.

1) Pegasus Intelli Power Box (Not sure if i have seen anyone use this so not quite sure)

2) Pegasus ULTIMATE PowerBox USB Control Hub (Really good but expensive and quite compact)

3) HitecAstro Mount Hub Pro v3 (Looks bulky, price wise good but very outdated UI)

4) Hitecastro Mount Hub Pro Compact (Really good for the price)

I can currently see only using 3 x power ports, 2 x USB2.0 and 1 x USB3.0. None of the above has a USB3 port so that's a bummer.

Just looking for advice, because i'm clearly a man on a mission and going to spend unnecessary money.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Ahmed

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Pegasus now, and its superb, as for the Hitecastro version, well it looks like and exact copy of the pegasus, right down to the enclosure used, and the outputs, except the HA has an extra dew controller output....not sure on prices, but think the HA unit is the same as the Pegasus at around £499, it was on offer at one of the recent shows for £399 I think...so price will not come into it between those two units, and they are the best of the bunch, Pegasus being a tried and tested one by a few on here....HA is a brand new device.

So it will probably be down to the software, and again the Pegasus is superb, giving full control to all outputs and the USB hub, a nice feature of the Pegasus is one on the USB ports outputs up to 3amps continuously to power any 5v device you might have, i use it to power my Raspberry Pi3 which controls all my imaging kit.

Also, and this is just my opinion the Pegasus uses all metal 12v power outputs which are solid and a good connection with the cables, whereas other units (HA ones) use the plastic board mounted ones that are really flimsy, similar to the one used on the EQ6 mounts, and I find they don’t make a good connection. HTH... :)

Thank you @LightBucket for your super elaborated response.

If i'm being honest, as much as the HitecAstro version looks good (And around the same price point as pegasus) the UI is very cobol'ish ... outdated and you don't seem to feel that you've spent the money on the software side of things which is what both the Pegasus UHP and HiteAstro MUP v3 are about.

The Pegasus software and drivers are superb, and I agree that the HA older versions look years out of date, but not sure how much it has been brought up to date with there version 4 unit...also there stepper motor controller on there older units was poor, with only full and half stepping, whereas the Pegasus goes down to around 1/32 stepping, so I get nearly 8000 steps per rev of my coarse focus knob, which is extremely fine and very accurate with auto focus.

Eeek! Even thought you're saying all the right things and ticking every single box, you're seriously not helping the cause where i want to limit my spend lol 

If i'm being honest, i have been very much focused towards the Pegasus UHP but at an additional cost ... still deciding

£20 really isn't going to break the bank if i'm being honest and plus the UI is so much better.

Decisions, decisions!

On one hand i like the HitecAstro Compact, it is exactly what i need MINUS the usb hub. I'd prefer to use my USB 3 powered hub any way but so adding £300 just to have a better UI and a USB hub doesn't seem very sensible. Wish Pegasus had something like that.

I use the HA compact at starparties with a Startech 5v usb Hub. It all works fine. But then does my MHP at home. Hitec repaired the MHP quickly when I had a problem. And Dave is often at shows and starparties.

Anne

Pegasus for me all day long  Had mine since they were released and it's top drawer.  I'll do a little video of it running etc. so you can see it in action.

The MHP is still a good bet, and at half the price of the pegasus for a used one, it's still a viable contender.  It also has a lot more power ports, but is quite large.

As you say, none of them use USB3, but I think that's because most industrial USB hubs are USB2.

I can't vouch for the new Hitech one, but it is very very very VERY similar to the Pegasus.

I'm struggling with cabling at the moment, and its my birthday in a couple of weeks, so a useful discussion this!!  I like the idea of being able to turn the USB on and off to avoid having to do the usual unplug routine when things don't get recognised :rolleyes:  The inclusion of the focuser control is particularly useful - I like the Lakeside, but the box is really big and it is hard to find a good location for it!  (if it had multiple switchable focus control that would be perfect!)  I'd still need USB3 for the ASI1600, but that's manageable.

Helen

16 minutes ago, Anne S said:

I use the HA compact at starparties with a Startech 5v usb Hub. It all works fine. But then does my MHP at home. Hitec repaired the MHP quickly when I had a problem. And Dave is often at shows and starparties.

Anne

The MHP is just too bulky, i want to keep everything light and that's why the HA compact ticks that box but so does the HA MHP v3 and Pegasus. Still contemplating which side should i swing. Just picking brains here really.

12 minutes ago, RayD said:

Pegasus for me all day long  Had mine since they were released and it's top drawer.  I'll do a little video of it running etc. so you can see it in action.

The MHP is still a good bet, and at half the price of the pegasus for a used one, it's still a viable contender.  It also has a lot more power ports, but is quite large.

As you say, none of them use USB3, but I think that's because most industrial USB hubs are USB2.

I can't vouch for the new Hitech one, but it is very very very VERY similar to the Pegasus.

One of my mates bought the Pegasus and have been helping get his gear up and running so had a little play with the device. What we did notice was that one of it's power sockets was dodgy when he plugged in his lakeside box to it. It kept on connecting and disconnecting on the UI, didn't really see that on the LS control box. He has been talking to Pegasus about this and they reckon it's a software bug but then also advised him to buy a PSU which he did but that didn't help either lol ... you're absolutely right about the reason for going USB2, but then we have the likes of Startech which also has a USB 3 version. I'm pretty sure i did not notice the USB 3 port on Pegasus but when i was talking to Altair a few days ago, the chap said that it does. I don't think he knew what he was talking about there but he's forgiven :) 

When I was at AstroFest, i did get to meet Dave/David the guy who owns HiTech ... dude tried to rip me off by selling me the Lakeside motor for £20 more than what IK sells it for lol didn't appreciate that and then then when he mentioned that Pegasus copied his design, i didn't quite believed him since Pegasus has been out for much longer. Sorry not dissing anyone here, just stating my experience.

14 minutes ago, Helen said:

I'm struggling with cabling at the moment, and its my birthday in a couple of weeks, so a useful discussion this!!  I like the idea of being able to turn the USB on and off to avoid having to do the usual unplug routine when things don't get recognised :rolleyes:  The inclusion of the focuser control is particularly useful - I like the Lakeside, but the box is really big and it is hard to find a good location for it!  (if it had multiple switchable focus control that would be perfect!)  I'd still need USB3 for the ASI1600, but that's manageable.

Helen

Well this seems like a very nice present to yourself Helen ;) I agree with the USB on and off feature, to me that has never happened so a non-issue but good to have something in the back pocket if anything was to go pete tong one day. I agree that the lakeside box is quite big but that's it, it's just big, not heavy at all. Here's an idea, put a heavy duty velcro at the back of the box and place it on the top of the hub. Sorted :) 

Like yourself Helen, i too will keep on using USB 3 hub so that's where i start asking my question, so i really need the USB 2 hub and if not then can i live with the HA Compact design for £300 cheaper. My mind says yeah, but then i'm a fool and i like to spend lol

36 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

One of my mates bought the Pegasus and have been helping get his gear up and running so had a little play with the device. What we did notice was that one of it's power sockets was dodgy when he plugged in his lakeside box to it. It kept on connecting and disconnecting on the UI, didn't really see that on the LS control box. He has been talking to Pegasus about this and they reckon it's a software bug but then also advised him to buy a PSU which he did but that didn't help either lol ... you're absolutely right about the reason for going USB2, but then we have the likes of Startech which also has a USB 3 version. I'm pretty sure i did not notice the USB 3 port on Pegasus but when i was talking to Altair a few days ago, the chap said that it does. I don't think he knew what he was talking about there but he's forgiven :) 

When I was at AstroFest, i did get to meet Dave/David the guy who owns HiTech ... dude tried to rip me off by selling me the Lakeside motor for £20 more than what IK sells it for lol didn't appreciate that and then then when he mentioned that Pegasus copied his design, i didn't quite believed him since Pegasus has been out for much longer. Sorry not dissing anyone here, just stating my experience.

No this isn't a software bug, it is just the very low current being to low to register on the monitoring, so it assumes the output is off, but it isn't, mine does the same.  If you put a constant load on it of more than a few hundred milliamps it doesn't do it.  As you say, it doesn't switch off the output, it is just the current monitoring of the FET's unable to register that low.

I'm not which was designed first, but certainly I've had my Pegasus for quite a while, although the very similar MH Compact I think has been out longer than the Pegasus.  Who knows, or cares for that matter, so long as they work and look all lovely :icon_biggrin:

Yes I see what you mean with Startech, but I think they are only one of very few, and they are not managed (you can switch off the hub with the software in the PHU).

3 minutes ago, RayD said:

No this isn't a software bug, it is just the very low current being to low to register on the monitoring, so it assumes the output is off, but it isn't, mine does the same  If you put a constant load on it of more than a few hundred milliamps it doesn't do it.  As you say, it doesn't switch off the output, it is just the current monitoring of the FET's unable to register that low.

I'm not which was designed first, but certainly I've had my Pegasus for quite a while, although the very similar MH Compact I think has been out longer than the Pegasus.  Who knows, or cares for that matter, so long as they work and look all lovely :icon_biggrin:

Yes I see what you mean with Startech, but I think they are only one of very few, and they are not managed (you can switch off the hub with the software in the PHU).

On the basis of that riddle me this, the same LS controller works just fine with all the rest of the power ports, but it's just port 2 it doesn't like. Everything else works on Port 2, just the Lakeside lol the plot thickens.

I quite agree, who cares whether the chicken came first or the egg as long as it does the job for us and finds me the discount in their quarrels ;) 

I purchased a second-hand Hitecastro MHP V2 for £190, and it's excellent. Easy to set up and connect, simple user interface, plenty of power supply, USB and dew heater ports, and works well with my autofocuser. I have it mounted solidly on a dovetail bar on top of my imaging scope using Velcro and zip ties and it hasn't budged. I use a finderguider system, however, so that makes the MHP easy to mount for me. I was considering the Pegasus/MHPC but the extra expense just wasn't worth it for me. :)

20180228_162514.thumb.jpg.b40ef507acbc090a8c10f6440eacca90.jpg

10 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

On the basis of that riddle me this, the same LS controller works just fine with all the rest of the power ports, but it's just port 2 it doesn't like. Everything else works on Port 2, just the Lakeside lol the plot thickens.

It could be that it is just on the limit.  I see it with my filter wheel also when it is idle.

6 minutes ago, SyedT said:

I purchased a second-hand Hitecastro MHP V2 for £190, and it's excellent. Easy to set up and connect, simple user interface, plenty of power supply, USB and dew heater ports, and works well with my autofocuser. I have it mounted solidly on a dovetail bar on top of my imaging scope using Velcro and zip ties and it hasn't budged. I use a finderguider system, however, so that makes the MHP easy to mount for me. I was considering the Pegasus/MHPC but the extra expense just wasn't worth it for me. :)

They are good :thumbright:

I have a perfect condition V3 one for sale, complete with the optional focus controller handset.  I'm only selling it as I bought the Eagle2, otherwise I would still be using it.  Yes the software feels a little dated and clunky, but it is rock solid and just works.

I am suprised as Dave Jackson from Hitech saying that Pegasus copied his designs when his has only just been released with the Pegasus for over a year now, more like the other way round, as I know for a fact as I own an older Pegasus motor controller, they they were working on the design of there Ultimate power hub, for a long while before it was released...so if anything there was copied, but like you say who cares, but Pegasus all the way for me as there service is superb, email them and they will reply and sort out any issues the same day if possible, they even sorted me out over teamviewer by uploaded new firmware to my hub.... 

23 minutes ago, SyedT said:

20180228_162514.thumb.jpg.b40ef507acbc090a8c10f6440eacca90.jpg

I'm naive, how can you tell this is v2 and not v3 of MHP? To be it looks like v3. The MHPC is only £30 more expensive but a big lesser on functionality. Does Dave/David still provide software updates for this version of hub?

15 minutes ago, RayD said:

It could be that it is just on the limit.  I see it with my filter wheel also when it is idle.

I have a perfect condition V3 one for sale, complete with the optional focus controller handset.  I'm only selling it as I bought the Eagle2, otherwise I would still be using it.  Yes the software feels a little dated and clunky, but it is rock solid and just works.

Hold on to it while i make my decision ... pretty please? :D The software looks like from the days of me playing Doom on PC in Windows 95 lol

5 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

I am suprised as Dave Jackson from Hitech saying that Pegasus copied his designs when his has only just been released with the Pegasus for over a year now, more like the other way round, as I know for a fact as I own an older Pegasus motor controller, they they were working on the design of there Ultimate power hub, for a long while before it was released...so if anything there was copied, but like you say who cares, but Pegasus all the way for me as there service is superb, email them and they will reply and sort out any issues the same day if possible, they even sorted me out over teamviewer by uploaded new firmware to my hub.... 

I agree mate, as long as it works.

Now here's a real question, support is everything. How frequently do they give their software a boost with updates? How quickly do they fix bugs and release firmware and software updates? 

2 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Now here's a real question, support is everything. How frequently do they give their software a boost with updates? How quickly do they fix bugs and release firmware and software updates? 

There's been 2 updates since release of mine, which were very minor, but I don't think there is any more needed.  They do seem to act quickly though, and Evans replies to queries at all times of the day and night, unlike some suppliers who don't reply for days or weeks.

1 minute ago, RayD said:

There's been 2 updates since release of mine, which were very minor, but I don't think there is any more needed.  They do seem to act quickly though, and Evans replies to queries at all times of the day and night, unlike some suppliers who don't reply for days or weeks.

How true that is, I won’t mention names, but I have emailed one big supplier 9 times in three weeks and never heard back....i wont buy from them now out of principal... 

4 minutes ago, RayD said:

Ok this is better. Pegasus is getting closer to my heart and going to fall heavy on my wallet lol ... i'm hoping AA are open tomorrow so will speak to them about it as well. I might need a longer dovetail to mount this hub on. I do have a vixen dovetail (ADM and Skywatcher) but they're both just too big and hits my scope :( 

4 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

How true that is, I won’t mention names, but I have emailed one big supplier 9 times in three weeks and never heard back....i wont buy from them now out of principal... 

Tell me about it, i've had fair shares of my issues with at least 3 of the suppliers. One plastered me with replacing my original items with a different one, one of them wasn't quite happy because i ordered the wrong item and even paid for the returns and i've kept the best for last because i wanted to buy a new scope and this vendor said they'll come back to me but never did. 8 months later i call them for something else and the conversation starts "Oh by the way, i was supposed to find the scope for you" and i said "Cheers for remembering, i've already bought it" lol he's a good guy and still will deal with him but was funny

32 minutes ago, RayD said:

I'm usually quite picky about up-to-date software and GUIs, but in this case I have to say the simplicity of the MHP was quite refreshing. Took just a few minutes to download the software and get it running, and the interface, whilst basic, gets the job done quickly.

13 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

I'm naive, how can you tell this is v2 and not v3 of MHP? To be it looks like v3. The MHPC is only £30 more expensive but a big lesser on functionality. Does Dave/David still provide software updates for this version of hub?

Hold on to it while i make my decision ... pretty please? :D The software looks like from the days of me playing Doom on PC in Windows 95 lol

I agree mate, as long as it works.

I was told as such by the seller, and it was confirmed by the fact that the V3 has 3 USB ports, whilst mine has 5. :)

4 minutes ago, SyedT said:

I'm usually quite picky about up-to-date software and GUIs, but in this case I have to say the simplicity of the MHP was quite refreshing. Took just a few minutes to download the software and get it running, and the interface, whilst basic, gets the job done quickly.

I was told as such by the seller, and it was confirmed by the fact that the V3 has 3 USB ports, whilst mine has 5. :)

That certainly is great help Syed. The 3 x USB2.0 hubs is just on the verge of what i have or will have so not having spare USB 2 ports is going to be a real deal.

I've heard things like USB hubs don't like sharing power and best to use a separate power source? Is that true? Because i might end up using the USB3 hub for the ASI1600. 

I wasn't too fussed about the number of USB ports, my main reason for purchasing it was the fact that it was within my price range and has been around for quite a while. If you have two separate USB hubs, then best to use two separate power sources. My MHP has been handling my 1600MM (which itself as an SXUSB filter wheel + guide camera attached to its USB 2.0 hub), mount and polemaster without any problems. To be honest, before I had the MHP, I was using a completely unpowered USB port (Anker) for my ASI1600, mount and focuser, and it didn't miss a beat! It was actually news to me when people said that USB hubs require an external power supply. :D 

3 minutes ago, SyedT said:

I wasn't too fussed about the number of USB ports, my main reason for purchasing it was the fact that it was within my price range and has been around for quite a while. If you have two separate USB hubs, then best to use two separate power sources. My MHP has been handling my 1600MM (which itself as an SXUSB filter wheel + guide camera attached to its USB 2.0 hub), mount and polemaster without any problems. To be honest, before I had the MHP, I was using a completely unpowered USB port (Anker) for my ASI1600, mount and focuser, and it didn't miss a beat! It was actually news to me when people said that USB hubs require an external power supply. :D 

You're making a believer out of me here SyedT ... Would you happen to know how much MHP weigh? all i can get is 0.90kg for bothe MHP and MHPC

I think it might all boil down to either me saving £300 or not saving £300 but then like my mum says ... i'm a gadha (Syed will know what i'm talking about lol) 

Archived