NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Power Hubs - Pegasus OR HitecAstro

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s an idea and the way I have mine setup...   I’ve got it sandwiched between the bottom dovetail and the scope.  Had some spacers made up to slightly raise the the OTA to give a sufficient gap. Also keeps the cables all in one single loom.

The other on my 70mm scope is ideally positioned to keep the centre of gravity nice & central

608D103F-2C0B-4328-B1DB-75CC6B11ABE0.jpeg

0DFEC0E3-B002-453B-8A41-04156C0B1101.jpeg

FF547DF5-37A2-4173-97F4-67145E71A752.jpeg

97058F81-D719-49E0-86C8-BC1D0D6B32D7.jpeg

9CC229B3-E63B-4A23-B58A-8F571928C5D7.jpeg

3 hours ago, Aidan said:

Here’s an idea and the way I have mine setup...   I’ve got it sandwiched between the bottom dovetail and the scope.  Had some spacers made up to slightly raise the the OTA to give a sufficient gap. Also keeps the cables all in one single loom.

The other on my 70mm scope is ideally positioned to keep the centre of gravity nice & central

Well I certainly like your set up, but I could not afford to have 2 Pegasus hubs one  for each set up....although would be nice.. :)

Does anyone know how much slack is needed in the mount power cable, so as not to pull too tight  when fitted into a loom on the scope, how far maximum will the DEC axis travel in any direction, I thought 180 degrees either way, but not sure....I have a lot of slack in mine that I think I could remove to tidy up even more..

5 hours ago, Aidan said:

Very neat... Gives me a few more ideas on mounting. Cheers for sharing your setup mate. Much appreciated. 

6 hours ago, RayD said:

Pretty sure it's M5 mate.  If @LightBucket can't check it I can have a little measure to confirm.

You'll see when you get it, it's all pretty tiny.

Cheers mate that would be very helpful. I've asked my facilities guy at work to tap the sky water 33.5cm dovetail from whatever that crazy imperial thread to an M6 but as a contingency plan I'll have cable ties if the whole gets bigger for my to use the bracket that comes with Pegasus. 

2 hours ago, LightBucket said:

All the holes in my dovetails are M6, and the threaded holes on my tube rings...

Ah cheers mate. Super helpful. 

18 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Cheers mate that would be very helpful. I've asked my facilities guy at work to tap the sky water 33.5cm dovetail from whatever that crazy imperial thread to an M6 but as a contingency plan I'll have cable ties if the whole gets bigger for my to use the bracket that comes with Pegasus. 

Mine is only cable tied and works fine :thumbright:

P1000096.thumb.JPG.4ea8fcf1bc04cafe34c06c27ba2732c6.JPG

Cheers @LightBucket mate, much appreciated. 

I haven't fully checked the package yet but i  can't seem to find the focuser cable. 

Also the mains power seems to be a cigarette lighter plug type thing. That's a no go for me. How do I convert it to be plugged in to the main directly? Anyone got any ideas? Ta 

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

I haven't fully checked the package yet but i  can't seem to find the focuser cable. 

Also the mains power seems to be a cigarette lighter plug type thing. That's a no go for me. How do I convert it to be plugged in to the main directly? Anyone got any ideas? Ta 

There isn't one, you have to make it up. Doing a video this weekend showing peeps how to do just that so can donate the cable made to your worthy cause :thumbright:

5 minutes ago, RayD said:

There isn't one, you have to make it up. Doing a video this weekend showing peeps how to do just that so can donate the cable made to your worthy cause :thumbright:

Hahaha top man, cheers mate.

Also another question, what does the focuser cable look like? I was pretty sure I asked Ian to get me one for lakeside which I'll chase up but it doesn't even have one for Pegasus motor. All what I have are 1 temperature sensor, 4 power cables, 1 USB and 1 cigarette lighter plug. Am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Hahaha top man, cheers mate.

Also another question, what does the focuser cable look like? I was pretty sure I asked Ian to get me one for lakeside which I'll chase up but it doesn't even have one for Pegasus motor. All what I have are 1 temperature sensor, 4 power cables, 1 USB and 1 cigarette lighter plug. Am I missing something?

No you don't get a lead at all with the Pegasus.  It has an RJ12 output on the unit from which the pinouts are Robofocus/Moonlite compatible (that includes Lakeside), so you need to solder a D-sub connector on to a cable with the RJ12 on the other end.

If you let me know before the weekend the exact length you need it then I can make it to suit your setup.

The cable will be a flat black 6-core one.

A Lakeside cable won't work as it has the wrong type plug on the controller end.

2 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

You want to connect directly to the mains..! 240v..? Hmmmm, why ?

5 minutes ago, RayD said:

You can also use one of these to plug in to the Lakeside motor, and then just add whatever length RJ12 cable you want.  I believe this is what Pegasus supply if you ask for a lead.

Yes that is what I was supposed to get, but did not, mine was a factory made serial cable with one end cut off and an rj12 plug added, so not sure how Pegasus wired it up as the serial plug had not been touched, and two of the wires are supposed to be together on one pin....any ideas how that have done that in the rj plug...??

8 minutes ago, RayD said:

You can also use one of these to plug in to the Lakeside motor, and then just add whatever length RJ12 cable you want.  I believe this is what Pegasus supply if you ask for a lead.

And be careful just buying one of those they have to be wired especially for the motor controller ar per diagram, with two pins onto one connector, so they won’t work out of the box....!!!

Archived