NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Power Hubs - Pegasus OR HitecAstro

1 minute ago, LightBucket said:

Yes that is what I was supposed to get, but did not, mine was a factory made serial cable with one end cut off and an rj12 plug added, so not sure how Pegasus wired it up as the serial plug had not been touched, and two of the wires are supposed to be together on one pin....any ideas how that have done that in the rj plug...??

The cables would already be joint in the DB-9 connector.  You can do it either way, but I chose the other way (DB-9 soldered on a standard RJ12 cable) as it is easier to do and you don't need a 

tool for making off the RJ12 plug.

3 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

And be careful just buying one of those they have to be wired especially for the motor controller ar per diagram, with two pins onto one connector, so they won’t work out of the box....!!!

They are normally connected inside the adaptor.

5a9fa97541df6_DB9toRJ12.png.5317414682a256b85626d69e93bf8ca1.png

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RayD said:

The cables would already be joint in the DB-9 connector.  You can do it either way, but I chose the other way (DB-9 soldered on a standard RJ12 cable) as it is easier to do and you don't need a 

Why would they come already joined in the adapter or DB9 plug when that is specific to motor focus controllers and these cables and adapters can be used for other things..?? Or am I missing something here....?.

3 minutes ago, RayD said:

This wiring  is also incorrect for the Pegasus controller, check my diagram I sent....! 

Just now, LightBucket said:

This wiring  is also incorrect for the Pegasus controller, check my diagram I sent....! 

I don't need to check your diagram, I used it when I made my own cable so am more than familiar with it!!

This is the adaptor that Pegasus supply, and when I queried it with them they noted it as a standard DB-9 to RJ12 (not 11 as you said) connector, so I assumed it was just that.  Quite clearly looking at it this isn't the case, so making the lead, as I have already done and it works fine, is the best way!

Just now, RayD said:

Read above post!!

Yes sorry out posts crossed, I made mine too as per diagram, also they don’t supply those adapters any more, so maybe that’s why, still can’t work out how they made the cable they sent me though, as the DB9 plus was untouched from the factory, it was one of the moulded on type...!

On 3/7/2018 at 08:33, RayD said:

No you don't get a lead at all with the Pegasus.  It has an RJ12 output on the unit from which the pinouts are Robofocus/Moonlite compatible (that includes Lakeside), so you need to solder a D-sub connector on to a cable with the RJ12 on the other end.

If you let me know before the weekend the exact length you need it then I can make it to suit your setup.

The cable will be a flat black 6-core one.

A Lakeside cable won't work as it has the wrong type plug on the controller end.

I'll call Ian and ask him if he can supply me with the cable as i did ask him that i'll need one for Lakeside and he said he'll have one sorted out so will check on the status tomorrow. If he moans about it, i'll surely give you a shout mate. Much appreciated :)

On 3/7/2018 at 08:38, LightBucket said:

You want to connect directly to the mains..! 240v..? Hmmmm, why ?

Sorry shouldn't i do it this way? I have an RCD plugged in to the mains and from there i have a 10 meter extension lead which comes out. That's how i plug everything right now.

3 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

I'll call Ian and ask him if he can supply me with the cable as i did ask him that i'll need one for Lakeside and he said he'll have one sorted out so will check on the status tomorrow. If he moans about it, i'll surely give you a shout mate. Much appreciated :)

Sorry shouldn't i do it this way? I have an RCD plugged in to the mains and from there i have a 10 meter extension lead which comes out. That's how i plug everything right now.

Hmmm, my mistake I though you meant plug directly into the mains  as the Pegasus only takes 12v and not 240v....I misunderstood you.. :), you mean by way of a 240 to 12v power supply.....

I've been hearing about people using 12v power bench supplies to give their gear a constant 12V current especially when there is a Power Hub of such sort being used.

As I have only seen one being used in permanent observatories, do people use it outside when they have to setup and tear their gear away? Is it a mandatory requirement for it to be used with a power hub?

I know FLO sells a Nevada version of 6-8A, I'm pretty sure it will be enough to power my entire gear right? Or do I need a much more powerful bench supply?

2 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

I've been hearing about people using 12v power bench supplies to give their gear a constant 12V current especially when there is a Power Hub of such sort being used.

As I have only seen one being used in permanent observatories, do people use it outside when they have to setup and tear their gear away? Is it a mandatory requirement for it to be used with a power hub?

I know FLO sells a Nevada version of 6-8A, I'm pretty sure it will be enough to power my entire gear right? Or do I need a much more powerful bench supply?

That one should be enough, but it will be close to max with dew strapa and such like, I use a 15amp one which is more than enough, mine also has the voltage and amps reading on an LCD screeen, but the new version does not have that, but with your Pegasus hub you don’t need as all the power reading are in the Pegasus software

here:

https://www.tantronics.co.uk/15a-13-8v-200w-bench-top-power-supply-fusion-ps201.html

Thank you @LightBucket for sharing this information.

I can see that the one which does not have the LCD screen reading is adjustable voltage and the one without LCD does not. The LCD one is out of stock though.

For the price it's definitely a good choice, i will see if there are any within the same price range as well. I do however have a £20 voucher from FLO which i'd like to use lol

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

Thank you @LightBucket for sharing this information.

I can see that the one which does not have the LCD screen reading is adjustable voltage and the one without LCD does not. The LCD one is out of stock though.

For the price it's definitely a good choice, i will see if there are any within the same price range as well. I do however have a £20 voucher from FLO which i'd like to use lol

They also do an 8amp one for £21 including delivery....

https://www.tantronics.co.uk/8a-13-8v-100w-bench-top-power-supply-ps101.html

In terms of the Amps, am i correct in saying that i need to calculate the Amps for all the connected devices and then find a power bench supply that is slightly higher? 

£21 ... wow, even better price. Thanks for sharing this once again mate. Much much appreciated.

The question really is that is it a must have even when i have an RCD connected at the mains socket?

17 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

In terms of the Amps, am i correct in saying that i need to calculate the Amps for all the connected devices and then find a power bench supply that is slightly higher? 

£21 ... wow, even better price. Thanks for sharing this once again mate. Much much appreciated.

The question really is that is it a must have even when i have an RCD connected at the mains socket?

Yes that is correct add all the maximum outputs in amps and get one a little higher...

Is what a must..?

3 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Yes that is correct add all the maximum outputs in amps and get one a little higher...

Is what a must..?

Cheers mate. Learning the arts of electronic basis slowly but surely :)

Sorry i should've been clear on what i was saying. Is a bench top power supply unit a must? 

Here's how my cabling is. I have an RCD in the mains, from the RCD i have a 10m extension lead that goes out in the garden (i have it covered in a shoe box which has lasted me a good 2 years now lol) and then from that i have an 4 ways extension lead (which is fused) in which every thing that i power is plugged in.

8 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Cheers mate. Learning the arts of electronic basis slowly but surely :)

Sorry i should've been clear on what i was saying. Is a bench top power supply unit a must? 

Here's how my cabling is. I have an RCD in the mains, from the RCD i have a 10m extension lead that goes out in the garden (i have it covered in a shoe box which has lasted me a good 2 years now lol) and then from that i have an 4 ways extension lead (which is fused) in which every thing that i power is plugged in.

Yes, but the cable that goes from your RCD is I assume from a mains 240v plug in the house or garage, and you need only 12v to run your kit, so where does the 12v come from now as you run your mount...?? You can’t just plug the mount directly into the 240v socket as you will smoke everything...!!,

You must have a 12v power supply plugged into that 4 way extension to run your kit...!??

so basically you will change that 12v power supply for a more powerful one, like the bench supply...

All the RCD is for is protection against any short circuit or such like, it will cut off the power instantly, it’s just a safety device...

Whatever 12v power supply you run your kit off now, plug that into the Pegasus hub, and plug all your kit into the hub via the 12v outputs...

thats the bit you are not telling us, what 12v power supply do you use now to power all your kit...?????

Archived