Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power Hubs - Pegasus OR HitecAstro

Everything that i power is powered from it's own adapter. I power my mount through a Baader adapter (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/baader-outdoor-telescope-power-supply-12v-5a.html), i power my ASI1600 with a power supply from maplins (sorry i do not have the link), i power the USB hub from it's own power adapter and my laptop from the power supply of the laptop. Is that what you're asking?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Everything that i power is powered from it's own adapter. I power my mount through a Baader adapter (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/baader-outdoor-telescope-power-supply-12v-5a.html), i power my ASI1600 with a power supply from maplins (sorry i do not have the link), i power the USB hub from it's own power adapter and my laptop from the power supply of the laptop. Is that what you're asking?

Yes....that’s it...

So you need a power adapter large enough to power all those items, (as the largest one you have is the Baader one at 5amp, which will probably not be enough), and that needs to be connected to the pegasus hub, then all those items will connect to the hub for there power, and you won’t need the USB hub anymore as you have one on the hub....

But you could certainly try and get yourself up and running with that Badder supply, connect it to the hub (if it fits) and use that for the time being, just keep and eye on the amps being used from within the Pegasus hub software..

Also the input connector on the hub has a 2.5mm centre pin, whereas the Baader supply will probably be a 2.1 centre and so will not fit, but you will have to try and see....but don’t think it will fit.... :)

5 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Yes....that’s it...

So you need a power adapter large enough to power all those items, (as the largest one you have is the Baader one at 5amp, which will probably not be enough), and that needs to be connected to the pegasus hub, then all those items will connect to the hub for there power, and you won’t need the USB hub anymore as you have one on the hub....

But you could certainly try and get yourself up and running with that Badder supply, connect it to the hub (if it fits) and use that for the time being, just keep and eye on the amps being used from within the Pegasus hub software..

Also the input connector on the hub has a 2.5mm centre pin, whereas the Baader supply will probably be a 2.1 centre and so will not fit, but you will have to try and see....but don’t think it will fit.... :)

Sweet as mate! much appreciated. 

Sorry was typing the reply and got side tracked.

I will need to find a better way of shielding my power cables now from the outside dew if i were to introduce a bench top PSU.

Right so here are my calculations ... Please do correct me if i'm wrong.

The Pegasus Power Hub will be used to power the following

USB 3.0 powered hub = 2A
Lakeside (if i go with it) = 1A or better
ASI1600MM-C = 2A
Dew Heater Straps = 2A in total for both heater straps

I will be powering my mount with a Baader power supply.

I want to use the USB 3 powered hub only because of my ASI1600 being a USB 3 camera. I'm not entirely sure if i should skip this and use the internal USB 2 hub on the Pegasus Power Hub.

39 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Right so here are my calculations ... Please do correct me if i'm wrong.

The Pegasus Power Hub will be used to power the following

USB 3.0 powered hub = 2A
Lakeside (if i go with it) = 1A or better
ASI1600MM-C = 2A
Dew Heater Straps = 2A in total for both heater straps

I will be powering my mount with a Baader power supply.

I want to use the USB 3 powered hub only because of my ASI1600 being a USB 3 camera. I'm not entirely sure if i should skip this and use the internal USB 2 hub on the Pegasus Power Hub.

First of all, why use the Baader supply, you can power all from the hub, that’s the idea, if you use the Baader power supply  and a separate USB hub, then £500 for the hub when not using its features seems a bit of a waste if you don’t mind me saying...! :) as all you would actually be using is one power output for the camera and the dew outputs...!! Plus the Lakeside if you go for that too, I personally use the Pegasus focus motor..

i assume if you use the seperate USB 3.0 hub it will be attached directly to your PC..? 

51 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

First of all, why use the Baader supply, you can power all from the hub, that’s the idea, if you use the Baader power supply  and a separate USB hub, then £500 for the hub when not using its features seems a bit of a waste if you don’t mind me saying...! :) as all you would actually be using is one power output for the camera and the dew outputs...!! Plus the Lakeside if you go for that too, I personally use the Pegasus focus motor..

i assume if you use the seperate USB 3.0 hub it will be attached directly to your PC..? 

You certainly do have a point. The power cable that comes with the Pegasus hub does have a cable that will work for the mount and i think NEQ6 pro mount take 2A when slewing but 0.5A when tracking.

I'm thinking of ditching the USB 3 hub idea and go with the USB 2 hub built in to the Pegasus. Yes my camera is a USB 3 but a few milliseconds of slower download speed won't bother me so that's 2A less power required.

As for the pegasus motor, i've got nothing against the motor but the bracket just seems a little flimsy PLUS i will be buying a motor for my SCT as well. Yes pegasus makes a special bracket for it but it goes a bit on the side which will be an issue for me because of the restrictions on the box that i have for my SCT.   

This is the challenge (it was a bit work-in-progress!)....

IMG_20180311_190227.thumb.jpg.868f07a2cabe4b7cdf99cba8592d8041.jpgIMG_20180311_190206.thumb.jpg.a2b57b2f0e920d7c5d0bc9a6b7536f39.jpgIMG_20180311_190219.thumb.jpg.d1d3d169a5c66e11a84db02aea3fb0d1.jpgIMG_20180311_190216.thumb.jpg.10333852429d890b593c10b597a45d28.jpgIMG_20180311_190144.thumb.jpg.329157955c3aefa3abceb90ef0401fb9.jpgIMG_20180311_190245.thumb.jpg.fc349f45c014651d902655c62db89ee8.jpg

Birthday has come slightly early :thumbsup: Hopefully the combined quality and power of Pegasus Astro and Lynx Astro will be a vast improvement IMG_20180311_190720.thumb.jpg.daffa52c72b1e69a4bb4360a4faf033e.jpg

What are the chances that this will be my first ever astro installation which goes smoothly :wink:   I'd love to surprise Mike by it being so!!

Watch this space....

Helen

IMG_20180311_190241.jpg

Welcome to the club @Helen. I've been sizing up my two scopes and will be mounting the Pegasus at the top of an aluminium bar.

Did you buy the bracket? If not then just use a heavy duty velcro and that should keep things nicely in place.

P.S: your kit looks lovely. Be gone cables :)

Just now, souls33k3r said:

Welcome to the club @Helen. I've been sizing up my two scopes and will be mounting the Pegasus at the top of an aluminium bar.

Did you buy the bracket? If not then just use a heavy duty velcro and that should keep things nicely in place.

P.S: your kit looks lovely. Be gone cables :)

Seems a nice bit of kit!  I'm going to need a couple of phono splitters as I have 4 dew straps to service.  I also might need to do something similar for power for the two focus motors (in addition to 3 cameras).  Just trying to work out how to use the focus control.  I've got a standard Lakeside and also a Hitec controller controlling a Lakeside motor. Neither seems to have the right cable ending... :rolleyes:  So it might need to be keep the boxes for now and use USB control. But even then should be a vast improvement! 

Helen

3 minutes ago, Helen said:

Seems a nice bit of kit!  I'm going to need a couple of phono splitters as I have 4 dew straps to service.  I also might need to do something similar for power for the two focus motors (in addition to 3 cameras).  Just trying to work out how to use the focus control.  I've got a standard Lakeside and also a Hitec controller controlling a Lakeside motor. Neither seems to have the right cable ending... :rolleyes:  So it might need to be keep the boxes for now and use USB control. But even then should be a vast improvement! 

Helen

I'd be interested to see if the phono splitters do work out for you because i might need to do the same in the near future.

As for the focus motor cabling, i'm having one made by AA. You can speak to Peter at Lakeside and i'm sure he can have one made. If your DIY skills are right up there with the best then within the thread @LightBucket and @RayD have both shared information on how to make it yourself. Wish my DIY skills were up to the task.

HTH

Ahmed

Well I've got proof of concept :hello2:  I had to reload the driver for the usb-serial for my lakeside focuser, and I haven't tried the Hitec box yet.  I had to play with various USB connection options before it recognised the ASI (but I was having those problems before, and now it is fixed!).

Tomorrow I need to work out how to attach it, and how to cable back to the USB and power sources.  Also, the hitec focuser (maybe need to speak to Peter or AA) and maybe a simple power supply splitter.

But overall, a quite successful evening -  and those don't come often for me with new kit!!! :rolleyes:

It is of course raining heavily.... and I'm away later in the week (hence wanting to play now!)

Helen

2 minutes ago, Helen said:

Well I've got proof of concept :hello2:  I had to reload the driver for the usb-serial for my lakeside focuser, and I haven't tried the Hitec box yet.  I had to play with various USB connection options before it recognised the ASI (but I was having those problems before, and now it is fixed!).

Tomorrow I need to work out how to attach it, and how to cable back to the USB and power sources.  Also, the hitec focuser (maybe need to speak to Peter or AA) and maybe a simple power supply splitter.

But overall, a quite successful evening -  and those don't come often for me with new kit!!! :rolleyes:

It is of course raining heavily.... and I'm away later in the week (hence wanting to play now!)

Helen

Awesome stuff Helen. Will be watching how you progress with you kit with super interest :)

Really silly question, correct me if i am wrong. I am hoping to use the Pegasus Hub to control Lakeside so that means i don't have to buy the control box for lakeside. Firstly i'm assuming the only thing that i will lose is the physical control box but Pegasus Hub has all the same bells and whistles that the control box have? and secondly i will not have to worry about powering the Lakeside motor because that will be handled by the focuser cable (Which AA are having one made for me)? If that is correct, then how much Amps power will i need to power the lakeside motor? Is it still the same 1Amp (or higher)? 

Sorry trying to crunch in some numbers for the PSU that i need.

20 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Really silly question, correct me if i am wrong. I am hoping to use the Pegasus Hub to control Lakeside so that means i don't have to buy the control box for lakeside. Firstly i'm assuming the only thing that i will lose is the physical control box but Pegasus Hub has all the same bells and whistles that the control box have? and secondly i will not have to worry about powering the Lakeside motor because that will be handled by the focuser cable (Which AA are having one made for me)? If that is correct, then how much Amps power will i need to power the lakeside motor? Is it still the same 1Amp (or higher)? 

Sorry trying to crunch in some numbers for the PSU that i need.

You are correct on all counts, and the motor will use a bit probably be a bit less, certainly not more, as the power stated by lakeside will include the power used by the motor and there control box, so as you won’t be using there controller, then it should be a bit less, so go with the 1amp... :)

3 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

You are correct on all counts, and the motor will use a bit probably be a bit less, certainly not more, as the power stated by lakeside will include the power used by the motor and there control box, so as you won’t be using there controller, then it should be a bit less, so go with the 1amp... :)

Cheers mate, much appreciated :)

The one thing you do lose on the Pegasus Hub from the Lakeside control box is the ability to focus manually (little red buttons) without being connected to a PC.  Not an issue if you image and are are connected to a computer, but can be a pain if you just want to do a quick visual session as you have to connect your computer to focus, or decouple it mechanically.  I think this is why Moonlite went down the clutch route so you don't have this issue with their focus motors, and is the reason you see my box still sitting on my mount.

This was the one benefit the Hitech MHP V3 had in that it has a manual control handset which plugs in allowing just this.

I may be missing a trick, but I've not found a way to focus without being connected to the PC.

2 minutes ago, RayD said:

The one thing you do lose on the Pegasus Hub from the Lakeside control box is the ability to focus manually (little red buttons) without being connected to a PC.  Not an issue if you image and are are connected to a computer, but can be a pain if you just want to do a quick visual session as you have to connect your computer to focus, or decouple it mechanically.  I think this is why Moonlite went down the clutch route so you don't have this issue with their focus motors, and is the reason you see my box still sitting on my mount.

This was the one benefit the Hitech MHP V3 had in that it has a manual control handset which plugs in allowing just this.

I may be missing a trick, but I've not found a way to focus without being connected to the PC.

Yes you are spot on there, I have motor coupler with two screws I use just one on the flat of the motor shaft, and just loosen that a tad to use the focus knobs on the other side manually.. work ok.. :)

3 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Yes you are spot on there, I have motor coupler with two screws I use just one on the flat of the motor shaft, and just loosen that a tad to use the focus knobs on the other side manually.. work ok.. :)

Would be nice to see them add a manual focus option, perhaps a small switch with some buttons on the top of the unit.  On mine being a dual rig it is pretty hard to get to the screws, so not really a viable option to loosen them. 

To be fair it is about the only criticism I could make of it, so that can't be bad.

Cheers for the guys. Much appreciated for your input.

As i stand, i don't think i'll be doing any visuals any time soon but what i've learned through life is never say never. My kids some times might need to look through the eye piece but truth be told the only eye piece that i do have is what came with the SCT and a TV powermate. Would be nice if Pegasus can actually include even a software buttons.

What about SGP, can we not use the SGP focus routine to tell the focuser to move certain steps? will that not work for visuals?

33 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Yay! that means one less power outlet required and so the 4 will be sufficient! :glasses9:

3 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Cheers for the guys. Much appreciated for your input.

As i stand, i don't think i'll be doing any visuals any time soon but what i've learned through life is never say never. My kids some times might need to look through the eye piece but truth be told the only eye piece that i do have is what came with the SCT and a TV powermate. Would be nice if Pegasus can actually include even a software buttons.

What about SGP, can we not use the SGP focus routine to tell the focuser to move certain steps? will that not work for visuals?

Yes you can move it "manually" in software (that don't make any sense at all).  You can nudge in and out using buttons no problem, both from within the hub and SGP, but you need to be connected to the PC to do it.

19 minutes ago, Helen said:

Yay! that means one less power outlet required and so the 4 will be sufficient! :glasses9:

hehehe glad i asked the question then :D I'll be using 2 now. I wonder what else can i use the other 2 for. Maybe something like an Intel Compute Stick *wink* *wink*

19 minutes ago, RayD said:

Yes you can move it "manually" in software (that don't make any sense at all).  You can nudge in and out using buttons no problem, both from within the hub and SGP, but you need to be connected to the PC to do it.

I agree, another little hassle but at least it can be done.

Archived