Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro OTA

FLO

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

I´m very interessed in this topic. But I remain with a very important question: I have a SW80ED and a Baader M56 Click Clock (amazing gear!), will it fit in this 72ED or I would have to buy the M54 one from Baader (or maybe an adapter that seems quite difucult to google about...)? And, about those locking screws that came with the telescope... I refuse to qualify them!

Thanks in advance,

Filipe

5 hours ago, frolao said:

Hi everyone,

I´m very interessed in this topic. But I remain with a very important question: I have a SW80ED and a Baader M56 Click Clock (amazing gear!), will it fit in this 72ED or I would have to buy the M54 one from Baader (or maybe an adapter that seems quite difucult to google about...)? And, about those locking screws that came with the telescope... I refuse to qualify them!

Thanks in advance,

Filipe

No, a M56 fitting will not work.  I tend to agree with you regarding the screws and am waiting to get a suitable alternative before using it with my imaging kit.  I'm not sure, but maybe this one will fit, you would need to check with FLO first?  Hopefully someone will make some specific adaptors for this as I would like a fully screwed imaging train just to try it out with my SX mini and Atik 460 as a good little travel outfit.

• 2 weeks later...

The scope seems ok, however, combined with the OVL field flattener and a standard T2->Canon EOS adapter, the backfocus distance seems too short. 1h of exposure in 60s at ISO800, Canon 550D. Focus was done with a bahtinov mask at the beginning and the setup was left outside for cooling a few hours before starting.

NGC2237-F420-2018-03-07-062min-stackDSS-lpc-cbg-csc-cbg-half_p02.jpg

I am absolutely new but are you using flattener in this photo? Or you somehow managed to make it in focus with the OVL flattener? 

In my untrained eye starts in the center look kind of OK with very litle miscolourment, but towards edges bright stars have multiple colours... despite that the shot is beutifull!

I am interested in trying and and using this with my AA290c camera and maybe later on trying it with DSLR...

On 10/03/2018 at 12:56, moise212 said:

The scope seems ok, however, combined with the OVL field flattener and a standard T2->Canon EOS adapter, the backfocus distance seems too short. 1h of exposure in 60s at ISO800, Canon 550D. Focus was done with a bahtinov mask at the beginning and the setup was left outside for cooling a few hours before starting.

Spacing looks just a touch out, but as it's close it could possibly be corrected with just a small delrin or 2.

Colours look pretty well corrected though.  For a doublet in this price range I reckon that's a very good result.  Well done Sir.

13 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Zoomed in corner stars are radiating from the centre, can't remember if that means it's too close or too far from the sensor.

Dave

It's too close Dave, that's what I meant when I said it's close so could be fixed with a delrin.  I reckon only a thin one will work, but as it is too close and not too far at least it's fixable which is a bonus.

Thanks, guys!

In case I was not clear, I used the field flattener and I could reach focus, it's the sensor to flattener distance that looks too short. It could also be that the flattener does not correct an area this large, but I doubt it.

5 minutes ago, moise212 said:

Thanks, guys!

In case I was not clear, I used the field flattener and I could reach focus, it's the sensor to flattener distance that looks too short. It could also be that the flattener does not correct an area this large, but I doubt it.

I suspect it's because this flattener is designed to work across focal ratios of between f/5.5 and f/6.0 so at f/5.8 and with an APS-C sensor it just needs a little fettling with a thin delrin spacer.

Nice image though :thumbright:

If the Skywatcher 66ED lens cell I'm building into my scope works as well as that, I will be very chuffed.

Is the OVL flattener the one without reduction that FLO sell? If so it's the one I have got off them. So far I've only been able to determine that it doesn't appear affect the focal distance one jot! With a Canon t-adaptor and camera attached the flattener to image plane distance is 55m and overall length is pretty much 100mm, so it add 45mm to the imaging train.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid this is all my fault.

I had just started toying with the idea of one of these as a travel scope, possibly with a Star Adventurer as a mount.  And all of a sudden they get delayed until I'm not sure there'd be time to iron out any issues before we go away this summer :)

Back to the drawing board...

James

16 minutes ago, moise212 said:

By the way, if there's anybody before me who can figure out the optimum distance between the OVL flattener and the sensor, please let us know!

Thank you in advance!

Alex

I think Sara (@swag72) has posted about some software that can analyse an image to determine whether you're inside or outside the optimum distance somewhere else in the forums.

James

Just now, JamesF said:

I think Sara (@swag72) has posted about some software that can analyse an image to determine whether you're inside or outside the optimum distance somewhere else in the forums.

James

That I know, 55mm is too close, but I don't know how far away I should move the sensor and I'm cloud limited now for testing.

I just ordered today a set of delrin spacers. I hope I will be able to figure out the spacing with the OVL flattener until summer. However, I think I will buy also the dedicated reducer/flattener.

Just now, moise212 said:

I just ordered today a set of delrin spacers. I hope I will be able to figure out the spacing with the OVL flattener until summer. However, I think I will buy also the dedicated reducer/flattener.

Looking at your image I don't think you will need much, it's not far out.  I reckon 0.5 to 1.0mm tops.  I think they have a 0.8mm in the packet also.

Dedicated ones are the best I think as the are pretty well matched to the objective.

Archived