Narrowband

Sky-Watcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro OTA

FLO

A few notes: 

It is an f5.8 doublet with a different objective lens glass combination to Sky-Watcher's existing Evostar-80ED/100ED/120ED models. 

Sky-Watcher are not sharing which glass type it uses other than to say it has an 'ED element' and a matching Crown element from German Schott glass. 

This is in keeping with Sky-Watcher's newly announced policy statement which applies to all new ED APO telescopes, not those previously released: 

Sky-Watcher Policy Statement on Telescopes containing ED Glass
"Sky-Watcher will not always state the types of glass and glass combinations used in their various APO telescope designs. We ask for your understanding in this regard because it is through this confidential design and manufacturing information, arrived at with skill and extensive research, which makes our products so successful. As always we would prefer the performance of any particular Sky-Watcher telescope to speak for itself."

• Like 1

Nice looking scope and a good price. Good that it is supplied without accessories too, to keep the price down.

Perhaps they should release some performance data if they are not going to mention the glass type?

I was kind of hoping they would do this in the same livery as the Evoguide, but it does look pretty lush as is. I bet it's going to be a gooden! Cracking price, especially with the ali case thrown in.

Announced the same day as I decided to sell my ED70. Not great timing on my part lol

Edited by Lockie

Nice. Only 303€ and less than 2 kilos! After many comparisons between scopes and binoculars I concluded 70mm is the minimum aperture to make deep sky and planetary detail blossom; don't know that I'll buy a scope smaller than my 80mm scopes but if I did it would be no less than 70. Don't worry about the glass type, my FPL-51 80mm f/7 semi-apo has such clean images, any modern semi-apo must be great, too.

Aberration-wise, this 72mm as an advantage due to its smaller diameter which is offset by the shorter f/ratio, overall it should be as good. Last night I had the first clear night in ages, with incredibly dry air. Going from 14x to 140x no chromatic spill to speak of, not even on brightish doubles, or very bright singles! Inside and outside focus disks almost identical, very little green/violet differenciation.

I made a 70mm mask for my semi-apo, and I can say the loss of resolution is very slight. No more 70mm achromats that had to be one meter long!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FLO said:

I am not seeing a finder-shoe in the stock photos but Sky-Watcher's spec' says there is one.  Will confirm tomorrow. 

They have confirmed it does have a regular findershoe (it wasn't fitted when the stock photos were made).

:smile: 

49 minutes ago, moise212 said:

Exciting news, I might get one if it ticks some checkboxes.

@FLO, do you have any information about matching flatteners? Maybe the simplest not-reducing one by SW? Or a 0.85x FR/FF designed for the bigger Evos?

We are hoping Sky-Watcher will release a dedicated reducer/flattener, like they do for the current Evo' 80/100/120ED models, but we cannot confirm that. 

This Flattener should work well. 

Steve 

5 minutes ago, GavStar said:

No. Whilst it can be fitted using our FLO adapter it is unlikely to be a good match.

The Evostar 72ED has 420mm (f/5.8) focal length compared to the Evostar 80's 600mm (f/7.5). 

Steve 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, moise212 said:

The Evoguide is available on some sites for a while now, not sure if for real or by mistake

The Sky-Watcher EvoGuide 50ED was released Wednesday last week so appeared at retailers websites, including ours, on that day or soon after. I am not aware of any retailers listing it before then, at least not here in the UK (it is possible some retailers outside the UK pre-emptively listed it, but I wouldn't know). 

Steve 

2 hours ago, GavStar said:

2 inch focuser is nice on a smaller scope like this. Gives me 5.2 degrees fov using my night vision eyepiece - I've ordered one ?

That is going to be a killer setup!! Please post some images and experiences with it when it's possible, cause I'm curious;-)

35 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

How would it be for visual? I'm thinking a 2" diagonal and a 42mm LVW would give a 7° field :ohmy:

I'm having the same speculations here. I really think it would be a great scope for travel and grab-and-go but as I asked in another thread about this scope, I am really curious on how it would perform on the planets..