Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light, ASI178MM/Lunt 50

MattJenko

First light with my new ASI178MM with my single stacked Lunt 50. Full disk in a single frame. Lots of problems with the camera, which is another story and a LOT of learning ahead of me, but here is effort #1 of hopefully many improving ones! Isn't solar imaging so much more civilized than night time astrophotography :)

SunFull-2018-02-10.jpg

8 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Hi Matt.  Good start there but sshhhh, don't tell everyone how civilised it is. ?☀️

Splendid CAT (shelf)! But true... I find myself waiting for the "better weather" now. :D
"Worra Wimp", you may say? But there are still the ODD sunspots etc. to be seen...

Yes Matt, solar is certainly more laid back than night time observing.  Mind you, it wasn't very civilised up in deepest Yorkshire half an hour ago when I was trying to do some WL observing with my 102ED.  Dodging snow showers and bitingly cold winds.  Now indoors with a coffee and looking at your splendid first solar image.  Looking out of the window it's now snowing heavily, almost getting on for blizzard like conditions. :eek:

I'm hoping someone will post an image in WL from about this time so I can compare it with my very rough sketch - my excuse is that the conditions were very difficult. :smile:

Laudropb, I'm delighted you're entering the world of HA and am looking forward to seeing your observations. 

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Nice first attempt. Waiting for the spring so the Sun clears the trees here!

Surprised you have the time Ian with all your projects!!

Blizzard dodging does sound rather ferocious. Thanks for all the positive feedback, looking forward to more of this...

Archived