NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

If I were to chop my Vixen 22mm LVW....

Alan White

4 hours ago, Saganite said:

If the weight issue is really bothering you and you don't want the faffing around with counterweight, then sell it and get a 24mm Panoptic Alan. It certainly will not be a retrograde step as far as optical performance goes, definitely not. I had both until a few months ago, and sure the 22 LVW is a lovely eyepiece, but when it came to the crunch I sold it, in favour of the Panoptic, and have not re thought that decision since. The 24mm Pan is smaller , lighter, and  one hell of a performer ! I admit that I also had an ulterior motive, in that a pair of 24 Pans in a binoviewer fits perfectly for me and I will never part with them, they are that good.:happy11:

Thanks Steve, I am very close but also pondering the 32mm Plossl and eyeguard extender, but LP makes the 24 Pan look favourable.

5 hours ago, Fozzie said:

What about keep the 22LVW and look for a second hand ES24mm 68deg, not as significant outlay as the 24pan, will give you only marginally less of the performance too..

I've not overly struggled with the ER on mine, it's quite a nice EP for the second hand price... although new they seem to have gone up a bit..

you can then take your time deciding if you want to let that 22LVW go..

Just a thought..

Ta

Fozzie

Hold the phone.... the spec says the ES is 370g... wow.. that cant be right can it, must be made out of neutron star or something!!

Thanks Fozzie, I tried an ES 24 68 and it was not as good as the LVW and was sold on.

17 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I use alt az mounts, have used a number, now use a Skytee 2 at present but often without clutches engaged.
The 100g to 400g XW is more than enough to upset balance and loose target.
And yes I am balancing the scope when I set up.

In also think its a slightly OCD thing too.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-counterweight.html

Skytee counter weights. Neat.

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

Using eps from lightest an old 20mm Erfle to heaviest a 40mm ES Maxview, I use weighted wrist bands.

They can be wrapped round the scope tubes, and the weight upped or downed by removing the weights from pockets, but mostly by sliding the band toward the end for heavier counter-balance and centre for less.  ankle20.jpg 

Clever, very clever ?.

Alan, what are you "weighting" for?? :headbang::grin:

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just a thought, but are you sure it is the EP weight per se that is causing your balance issues, and not the height of the EP? I definitely have more balance issues with my alt-az mount (TeleVue TelePod) and tall EPs/EPs+barlow. I’ve considered adding a permanent counter weight below the tube to counteract this. When I get a side-mounted alt-az I’ll probably drill new holes in the dovetail to mount the scope slightly below the center of gravity to counteract the torque from tall EPs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

, Skytee 2 at present but often without clutches engaged.

The Clutches are not engaged?

No wonder you have a problem with different eyepiece weights. Put those Clutches to work buddy. Will solve your problems 

If i did not use the Clutches on my AZ, it would be like a see saw? using the Ortho and XW 

Tighten those Clutches?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martinl said:

Just a thought, but are you sure it is the EP weight per se that is causing your balance issues, and not the height of the EP? I definitely have more balance issues with my alt-az mount (TeleVue TelePod) and tall EPs/EPs+barlow. I’ve considered adding a permanent counter weight below the tube to counteract this. When I get a side-mounted alt-az I’ll probably drill new holes in the dovetail to mount the scope slightly below the center of gravity to counteract the torque from tall EPs. 

^^^ this works. 

I've done something similar spending about £7.

- Two safety bolts at each end of the dovetail.

- Two wrist /ankle weights (0.5kg each), which are manually attached to the safety bolts.

I can swap between 35 Panoptic to Zeiss zoom with Baader VIP attached (long combo) to Vixen HR (150g) and no balancing issue whatever the altitude is.

20180119_211930.thumb.jpg.845f5544ee7a1e0e9450a1e5a7832f98.jpg  20180119_211941.thumb.jpg.f15dc27a40e71ffa77367a1d3035fc6b.jpg

Edited by Piero
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Piero said:

^^^ this works. 

I've done something similar spending about £7.

- Two safety bolts at each end of the dovetail.

- Two wrist /ankle weights (0.5kg each), which are manually attached to the safety bolts.

I can swap between 35 Panoptic to Zeiss zoom with Baader VIP attached (long combo) to Vixen HR (150g) and no balancing issue whatever the altitude is.

20180119_211930.thumb.jpg.845f5544ee7a1e0e9450a1e5a7832f98.jpg  20180119_211941.thumb.jpg.f15dc27a40e71ffa77367a1d3035fc6b.jpg

Simple and effective Piero, neat idea :happy11:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

Thanks Fozzie, I tried an ES 24 68 and it was not as good as the LVW and was sold on.

I can appreciate that.. I have a soft spot developing for vixen products..

What about a counterweight system, hangs of a vixen dovetail... add and removed required?

://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-counterweight-kits/adm-dovetail-counterweight-kit-v-series.html

Different option at least..

Ta

Fozzie 

• Like 2

I get the balance problem - Since I got some of these grenade style EP's I've had some issues with the Goto objecting to the unbalanced weight.  Somewhere around I've got a huge magnet from an old speaker - I was going to try this stuck to the other end of the tube when I trip over it next.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Alan White said:

Thanks Steve, I am very close but also pondering the 32mm Plossl and eyeguard extender, but LP makes the 24 Pan look favourable.

Alan, there is a Celestron 30mm Ultima on AB& S. Seriously nice eyepiece! 

Ad number 133289

Or perhaps search for a 35 Ultima or Eudiascopic.

2017-12-30 21.15.58.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Ad number 133289

Mike are these a place your eye to the housing eye placement or do you need to hover above it?

15 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Mike are these a place your eye to the housing eye placement or do you need to hover above it?

With my 35mm its as if the image jumps out at you, and the eyepiece disappears. They are lightweight too! You don't need to put your eye right upto the eyepiece yet it's easy to keep your vision on axis.

I think its in Polinis book on eyepieces that the 35 and 30 are rated highly compared to the rest of the line, though all are great eyepieces!

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Ad number 133289

2017-12-30 21.15.58.jpg

I'd love a pair of those Mike, trouble is they only appear once in a blue Moon :cry:

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Saganite said:

I'd love a pair of those Mike, trouble is they only appear once in a blue Moon :cry:

Well, we just had one blue Moon last night and the next is March 31st, so you should be in luck. :wink2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Baader kept the last E'scopics to sell with their Mk 5 bino viewer according to their Web site. But no longer offered. 

• 2 weeks later...