Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Replacing eyepiece collection

Following theft of all eyepieces and other gear and insurers making a cash settlement (have posted on this in the Lounge) now have opportunity to start afresh. Scope is SW 150PL on EQ3-2 mount. I am visual rather than astrophotographer.

I am definately replacing the Myriad 9mm eyepiece. Budget thereafter is around £300. Current thinking is Williams SPL 6mm, BST Starguider 25mm, and possibly also 15mm, and the BST barlow. Other option would be to start a TV collection with say one TV plossl instead of the two BSTs.

Others' thoughts and suggestions appreciated before I relieve Auntie FLO of some gear.

WO SPL 6mm is a great EP. Use mine a lot, and always get great views with it. I would possibly get an ES Maxvision 20 mm EP. A little more than a BST EP but much better views in my estimation. Much better to have three good quality EP’s I think, rather than trying to squeeze others in that force you to go for cheaper options. 

Hi ,sorry to hear about the theft

I think it depends on what your future plans are . If you intend to keep your present scope then the BST starguiders are the choice to go for, great bang for buck.

If you feel you may wish to change your scope at some time in the future. And wish to future proof your eyepieces now. Obviously if you were to say go for a faster scope then your eyepiece collection may need to be adjusted. To future proof it and scratch the itch for a TV (to my understanding are tested to f/4) . Then the Delos range may be an option ,at around 20mm eye relief and a fov of around 72d then these would be a good choice. Obviously over your budget new , but second hand ones do come up and so should be able to start a collection. And then buy the odd one from time to time as you save a bit more to cover the focal lengths you use the most.

I hope this helps 

1 hour ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Gotta have your richest field EP at least, and I cannot see the edges of my 82* field stop, no matter what's supposed to be true about the periphery of the human eye. Can you? If not, you'd save a bundle, but if you need 100* to float, well only you know. And good news is that these low power EPs don't have to be as top-shelf. Save that uber-glass for planets, or use an affordable Ortho there. Wait, you just saved more $$. Glad you were covered.

3 hours ago, David P Osborne said:

Following theft of all eyepieces and other gear and insurers making a cash settlement (have posted on this in the Lounge) now have opportunity to start afresh. Scope is SW 150PL on EQ3-2 mount. I am visual rather than astrophotographer.

I am definately replacing the Myriad 9mm eyepiece. Budget thereafter is around £300. Current thinking is Williams SPL 6mm, BST Starguider 25mm, and possibly also 15mm, and the BST barlow. Other option would be to start a TV collection with say one TV plossl instead of the two BSTs.

Others' thoughts and suggestions appreciated before I relieve Auntie FLO of some gear.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

The BST Starguiders I believe would be a good option in your scope. Buy them from FLO or e-bay, if you don't like them, return them, at least try them, see what all the fuss is about? Their a good first upgrade ( permanent for me!)  great value, perform well. 

I believe your scope has a focal ratio of f/8. I like to recommend to folk to match the focal ratio to their high powered eyepiece, and only push further if circumstances allow?

At f/8 an 8mm eyepiece such as the BST Starguider will provide more comfort  (eye relief and field of view ) over the supplied 10mm eyepiece, and should work quite well at the 150x power/magnification your scope is capable of, due to its design, and the external factors and conditions  you may have to contend with.

150x is not hard to achieve, but going higher will deteriorate the image rather than improve upon it, because of the size of the telescopes aperture. Your scope will produce a 'real image' at the focal plane, and a small image at that. My 200P scope will improve upon that image, due to the physics and size of the mirror, but my image is also very tiny image. Its sole the reason we use eyepieces, they simply magnify that image, but there are limits. Magnify too much, say a 4mm possibly a 6mm on your scope is pushing beyond the 150x and on some targets  the image quality  visibly drops, so for me to achieve the best in image quality ( when conditions allow )  I'm usually somewhere between 8mm & 12mm on my scope.

I liked the 8mm so much, I had to buy the set, but surely thats wrong if I'm suggesting to folk, stick with their focal ratio as a guide to the high magnification eyepiece? right or wrong, If I like something that much, I want all of it, so I tend to buy the full set?

That said, BST are not manufacturing a 6mm BST Starguider ( pity!......  Although  I have seen one ? [snigger]  'produced' by @JOHN ? ) however, that's the reason I went for and now own the 6mm William Optics 6mm SPL ( courtesy @rwilkey recommendation's ) and this eyepiece matches my focal ratio,  providing me 200x. And yes, ( I bought the set!).

You also mention the TeleVue Plössl. Now that could be a good choice? Their shortest focal length is 8mm ( matching f/8 ). Just bear in mind though, eye-relief is very short, especially if your a spectacle wearer.  I  felt I needed/wanted shorter focal lengths  in the range for my scope so discounted the TV Plössl's in favour of the Revelation Astro's, and I still think the Revelations are better value, have an ever so slightly wider afov, providing a little more comfort and I prefer the image through the Revelations.. Price wise, their dirt cheap too  ( purported to be made by GSO - available  from Astroboot, when in stock!) and yes, I bought the set, well a short  set. I'm more than happy with my 32mm Panaview,  so I don't need anything longer, but that requires a full adaptor change for one eyepiece on my scope, so its not impossible that option could change, and again, there are limits to what you can achieve with the views between the two formats 2" & 1.1/4" eyepieces.

If you like the 9mm Myriad so much then consider the APM/Lunt HDC range as well. They're the same as the Myriads with a different eyecup and claimed better coatings. Of course, the high cost would mean that you could only buy one with your remaining budget.

Edit: disregard this if your scope has a 1.25" only focuser. I was assuming it must be 2" given use of the myriad. 

Just had a browse for the Myriad 9mm. AFOV is very good, if you like wide fields, and your need to buy another suggests you do, maybe for that reason alone.

However it appears that three BST's could be afforded over one Myriad! or just two BST's and a Barlow?
The 8mm & 18mm BST could provide  4,8,9 & 18mm focal lengths if 2x Barlowed The eye lense on the BST looks wider than the Myriad, I like that feature, it's comfortable, having said that, I sold my Delos EP's, look at the eye lens on those beasties! but the BST's only provide 60° afov ( comfortable for my needs, maybe not yours?- were all different, hence the difficulty that arises, when so many folk have their 'own' preferences, based on experience).

You want the Myriad,  you know from experience what its  like, but unsure of the WO or BST's. Because you can return the eyepieces, you've nothing to lose in your search, and something to gain, experience! If the BST's work, great, if their not for you, return them, you can still get the 9mm Myriad.

At the low power end  I would go for the Revelation 32 Plossl. A very good EP for the money and about as wide a field of view as you are going to  get with 1.25" focuser. If you can find a 2nd hand ES 24/68 at a good price that would also do the job. Vixen SLVs are very nice and there is a good range, a slightly narrower fov than the SPLs but none the worse for it. I have used the Altair Lightwave LERs (6, 9 & 12.5) which appear strikingly similar and have a similar spec' to the SPLs but cheaper and found them to be good and very comfortable to use. A 6mm (200x) is one of those EPs that may only get used on good nights, a 7mm might be more useful. The 7mm (82) Nirvana is a nice EP if you could find one second hand.  

26 minutes ago, 25585 said:

You have to love those German names

Did you ever catch Bradley Walsh on the Chaser, when he had to pronounce a certain Skier's name, ending with Chmeler, its good for a laugh.
The screening of certain words here will prevent me from using this word, but its a popular name for a girl, in-fact  the TV critic and famous chef Craddock shares the same first name, but cant be used here!
The scene  itself almost bought Bradley to tears, same for the Chaser and contestant.

11 hours ago, 25585 said:

25585.that a good link. The Astro Professionals shown look very very similar to the Nirvana. Its hard to say they are 100% "the same", but if so the 16mm at 79 euro is a very nice buy. Interesting that the 7mm is still at normal price of 109 euro. Also noted is that the AP Okular LER is like wise very similar to the Altair LERs I mentioned but the Altairs work out cheaper.

Thank you for all advice and ideas. Have now taken the plunge and waiting for delivery from FLO. Have gone with Myriad 9mm (I was very attached to it), and BST 12mm, 15mm, and 25mm, and x2 barlow. Replacing the Telrad as well and upgraded moon filter to a Baader. So once all arrives just need some clear skies. Given the comment about 6mm may not be used so much decided to leave that for now (and, I know may be less good because more glass, but can get x200 if barlow the 12mm). FLO had deal for 15% off if 4 BSTs (including barlow) which tempted me to get the 12mm. Once all received will then have to remember how to amend by signature :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, David P Osborne said:

how to amend by signature :icon_biggrin:

......Click the small down arrow on your  user name toward the top right of the page, select  'account settings'  then over to the left of the page, select 'signature'.

Archived