NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which is the best telescope for Visual use Skywatcher 150p,150pl or a 200p dob?

Thanks Stephan. Afraid I underestimated. I'm standing at about 4 feet at zenith, so sitting is closer to 6 feet. But I'll fashion something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Werner-AC-18MT-3-Way-Attachment-Ladders/dp/B000IZX658/ref=pd_sim_60_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000IZX658&pd_rd_r=1B4987YEVRXTDWHDER7E&pd_rd_w=8ZTWq&pd_rd_wg=FakvF&psc=1&refRID=1B4987YEVRXTDWHDER7E

Whatever the case, you've aroused a subconscious gripe I've had a long time now, and I'm definitely doing this. Cheers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Nyctimene said:

The highest seat position of the Füssener Astrostuhl (astrochair) is 111cm (spanning with 7,5 cm intervals from 31 to 86 and 97 to 111cm). So I can observe comfortably seated objects up to about 70° elevation in my 18" f/4.5 Obsession dob (f.l. 2050 mm).

You can change the viewing position easily for lying and observing with binos, have a look:

https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/zubehoer/astronomie-zubehoer/stuehle/4889-ics-astro-stuhl-magnum-grau-hoehe-115-cm-mit-verstaerktem-sitzbrett.html

Stephan

Okay, here's what we're doing. This 17' articulating ladder can be staggered, lessening the slope on the climbing side

https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-17-Foot-Multi-Positon-Ladder-System/dp/B002DMK11G

which will make positioning one's self onto this much more easy and comfortable

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-Ladder-Systems-10104/dp/B00064C4V8/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_60_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=155MQTT2P214ABZVXR30

Many thanks

If you haven't already seen it here are a couple of used scopes of the type you want on ABS. Not sure if either is still available but might be worth a look.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=133305

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=131826

Good Luck in getting sorted. Let us know how you get on with whatever you get.

Steve

3 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

.........no scientifically founded elaboration, I'm afraid. It's an estimation I've made for myself, since I am using a proper observing chair; and I've found similar experiences and values in several forums (can't recall the exact sources). Perhaps it is just the possibility of observing very faint and challenging details in a DSO more comfortable and thus longer than before, that leads to this impression. What are your (and others) experiences and thoughts on that?

I thought as much?  thinking its a comfort element with reference to your quote ( "Observing seated will add at least 0.5 to 1.0 mag to your NELM (Naked Eye Limiting Magnitude)." )  it's just that I've never heard or come across a statement like this  before, hence my request for you  to offer more info? ......... hey, if it works. Im interested! 

I'm gonna set up my bed next time, cant get any more relaxed than laying down! 

23 hours ago, Charic said:

you'll probably see more dedicated targets in one hour than I might see in one Year! if  that is, your  site and conditions allow.

Once you learn the location of a DSO , you can get there far quicker than any GOTO system - I have a GOTO mount with Skywatcher 130P and use it from time to time and while it`s a great system , I much prefer the simplicity of the 200P .

I have a revelation astro 8 inch dob.  I find the ota easily managable. I have fitted carrying handles to mine but I think the skywatcher has handles at the point it rests on the base? Should be manageable for you I would think.

16 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

An assembled 8" dob apparently weighs 21kg so it's about the limit for safely lifting in one piece. If you prefer to move it as two pieces for the sake of your back then they come apart and go back together easily. 

Thanks I’ll probably carry them in two pieces, it won’t be a long distance to carry as I’ll have it stored in the garage next to the garden. 

11 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Charic,

no scientifically founded elaboration, I'm afraid. It's an estimation I've made for myself, since I am using a proper observing chair; and I've found similar experiences and values in several forums (can't recall the exact sources). Perhaps it is just the possibility of observing very faint and challenging details in a DSO more comfortable and thus longer than before, that leads to this impression. What are your (and others) experiences and thoughts on that?

Attached a picture of my very comfortable and sturdy foldable observing chair (might be a rewarding DIY project).

Stephan

DSC_0586.JPG

I've just seen this...Visual Astronomy at the Telescope Eyepiece

http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/visual.html

And to your purposes, *time at the eyepiece and *comfort are 2 factors he enumerates among eighteen. Combined they can account for an additional magnitude-and-a-half he claims.

5 hours ago, Revilo said:

How heavy do you find the ota? Is it easy to carry it by one person?  Can’t remember if I’ve asked this or not. Sorry if I have 

Astroshop gives a weight of 11 kg for the OTA and a total weight of 26 kg for the Skywatcher 200 P,

Stephan

A collapsing 200P is not a huge object skywatcher sm.jpg

You can sit it on something else to use it too  that's a standard water butt stand Waterbutt Dobmount.jpg

In it's folded form and on its stand it is about 1m tall and takes up about the space of a dining chair.  I can lift the OTA off the stand very easily with two hands at each end of the tube - it is not heavy.  The base IS a bit heavier (sturdy MDF always is), but without the Goto system in it would clearly be much lighter.  I can lift it with two hands and carry it fairly easily for about 30m or so - it's more awkward than anything as due to its diameter you kind of have to hold it out in front or to the side of you.  It fits easily in a car in two parts and in two parts would not be an issue to carry up stairs - it takes <30 seconds to disassemble and reassemble.  Two people can easily carry it when it's not dismantled and although I can shift it very small distances in that state for movements of any distance I'd recommend splitting it into two bits. 

Choice of scope is a very difficult subject.

As I thought in future I may want to go imaging (on a limited budget) I opted for the SW-150 PDS this way I get the ability to do imaging in the future.

But I also found the dual stage focuser to be really great and more accurate for fine focussing for visual.

The key will be on what do you really want to see and how far you may take the hobby.

Enjoy whichever route you do

Nick

I agree with starting on a pure, plain simple dob. 

Some of the nicest nights are those I go out to see what is on offer. Binoculars, then dob for deeper. Scan and marvel. See a cluster, asterism, or fuzzy patch - look it up & what else is in the vicinity, go from there. 

Archived