Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Wide Ha + HaRgb

Allinthehead

Hi all. I've been very lucky to have some so many clear nights recently. For the first time since i began imaging i actually have a backlog of data.:icon_biggrin:

The ha version is 10 hrs in 150 second subs at unity gain captured over 2 nights. I used data i had from the Star 71 to add some detail to Orion and the Horsehead.

The Ha Rgb version is 20 hrs combined. The rgb is 10 hrs in 150 second subs at 0 gain. Along with the ha captured over 2 nights.

I blended the ha as a red layer and a little as a luminance layer.

Thanks for looking and hope you like it.

Richard.

5a228244ba14c_Orion10hrwidedone.thumb.png.d650468a599c969b6618552b82eea012.png

5a22825f6b2ab_Orionwidedone.thumb.jpg.5bd3683d466fe8c392e1af582a945f6b.jpg

Richard,

fantastic widefield,  I think this is one of the most interesting parts of the winter sky and you image really conveys the majesty of this area of Orion.

I captured Orion Belt/Sword region with virtually the same setup ,ASI1600MM, Samyang 135mm etc.. ,early November, but your FOV captures part of Barnards loop - something I want to add into my project, so I have a few questions that hopefully help me put some improvements into my Orion project

What lens/scope did you use for this image as your equipment tagline says Samyang 135mm, I use the same lens but don't get the same FOV using ASI600 , see below, or is your image a mosaic ?

Orion Constellation HaLRGB vtinyweb.jpg

Also I'm interested in the exposure comparisons as I was using 30s subs unguided with unity gain at f2 , however  you are using 150s subs - is that at f4.9 with guiding as per your other Orion Ha post using OAG - but you seem to have been able to compensate for local light pollution, if I try anything more than 60s on LRGB subs at unity gain light pollution gradients kills the image.

Are you using a LP filter in your setup - after the EFW  - if so which one as you have got a lot of good colour saturation in your image?

Sorry for all the questions but there's always subtle differences in the way we all work, even when we use near identical equipment and its always good to understand different techniques that can help push some improvements into our workflows, thanks again for posting a great image

Bryan

Lovely widefield Richard - great FOV and sharp focus, good star shapes.  Three iconic subjects in one frame.  Well done, super image.

There appears to be a lot of red/pinky coloured stars, especially in the lower half of the image.  Might be worth revisiting the RGB star processing and see if you can eek out a little more variety of colour.

21 hours ago, BDL_Bug said:

Oh - another quick question, what capture program do you use ?

B

Hi. Happy to answer questions. It's the same fov as yours just that i framed to include m78. I use a Hutech idas lps filter, and i capture with Sgpro. All my subs for this were 150 seconds unguided at f/2. Hope that helps.

21 hours ago, Astroblagger said:

Fantastic well done. 

Thanks Astroblagger.

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Lovely widefield Richard - great FOV and sharp focus, good star shapes.  Three iconic subjects in one frame.  Well done, super image.

There appears to be a lot of red/pinky coloured stars, especially in the lower half of the image.  Might be worth revisiting the RGB star processing and see if you can eek out a little more variety of colour.

Thanks Barry. The rgb was captured using the Asi 071 and for some reason the last few images i did with it seem to give that pink star problem. I'm not sure what i can do about it to be honest.

On 12/6/2017 at 18:14, Adreneline said:

Love the Ha version - it has an amazing simplistic beauty and great detail.

Thank you for sharing and inspiring!

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. I think i agree. The ha is more pleasing to me too. Maybe i over cooked the rgb.

On 12/3/2017 at 20:42, Allinthehead said:

Hi. Happy to answer questions. It's the same fov as yours just that i framed to include m78. I use a Hutech idas lps filter, and i capture with Sgpro. All my subs for this were 150 seconds unguided at f/2. Hope that helps.

Thanks Astroblagger.

Thanks Barry. The rgb was captured using the Asi 071 and for some reason the last few images i did with it seem to give that pink star problem. I'm not sure what i can do about it to be honest.

A really great wide field! I obviously need to turn my Samyang in the same direction when the clouds are gone. I had a closer look at your "pink" stars and they are not really pink close up but bright red with a white centre. I cannot believe there would be that many red stars there (almost all looked like that) so the red must somehow have been exaggerated (maybe from blending in Ha into the red channel). Since you say you are not sure what to do about it, I took the liberty to try a quick fix in PS by adjusting the red settings in Selective Colour to bring the stars into a more believable yellow tone. Then I used the brush tool to bring back the red tone in the neubulosity areas.

Cheers

Skärmavbild 2017-12-09 kl. 15.54.46.png

allinthe headOrionwidedone GN.jpg

On 12/9/2017 at 15:06, gorann said:

I had a closer look at your "pink" stars

Thanks Gorann. You did a good job on them. It's definitely not caused by the ha data as it's present in the individual subs. A bit lost really as to the cause. I had it on my recent California rgb subs too, but only on the second nights data. Night one had lovely star colour. What changed? The only thing i can think of is a neighbors white led was on that night.

22 hours ago, wimvb said:

Great image, Richard. And to misquote another imager: with a wonderful sprinkling of "chocolat".

Thanks Wim. Yup lots of lovely brown dust in this region. Next clear night for me i'm turning the Star 71 to Orion for some rgb.

Archived