NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

can you believe this !!!

Not looking for a new scope but I am looking for my son, now this one is a little small but for £139 new !!! thinking of buying this for myself just for the goto tripod and mount !!! the nexstar handset alone cost £149 !!! but for £139 you get the tripod, motor, handset etc and just for good measure they throw in the 76mm reflector !!!

A07XT_1.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the thing is its a genuine Celestron reflector they also do a 114 version and some refractor scopes too, the 114 version is selling at £199.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/celestron-lcm-114mm-computerised-reflector-telescope-a08na

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/celestron-lcm-76mm-computerised-reflector-telescope-a07xt

46 minutes ago, Gina said:

It's unbalanced!  When things are being sold at a ridiculously low price you have to think "what's wrong with it".

Gina what do you mean its unbalanced?

What I was originally posting about is the fact that you can get a Celestron goto tripod and mount for £139 !!! you can then mount your existing scope on it. That seems like a bargain to me as the nexstar+ handset alone retails at £149 on FLO

Just now, Jimmy Rocket said:

What I was originally posting about is the fact that you can get a Celestron goto tripod and mount for £139 !!! you can then mount your existing scope on it. That seems like a bargain to me as the nexstar+ handset alone retails at £149 on FLO

I agree..

Alan

8 minutes ago, John said:

The mount is probably at it's limit with the 114mm newtonian on board. The series came out in 2010. Here is some further info on them:

http://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/LCMInfo.htm

They seem decent basic GOTO mounts for small scopes.

Think this would work well with the heritage 130P due to the tube being quite a light 130 scope....your thoughts?

1 hour ago, Jimmy Rocket said:

Gina what do you mean its unbalanced?

Ideally, the CofG of the OTA should be directly above the azimuth axis shaft. This one has it off to the side.

A while ago I bought a Celestron Skyprodigy 70, with built-in Starsense, for under £200. With a slight modification to the plastic cowl over the dovetail clamp, I have full Starsense for my 90 & 127mm Maks, 90mm refractor from my Cosmos WiFi, Heritage 130P, and, when the 116mm rings arrive, for my Star Travel 120. Celestron sell this mount, as the Skyprodigy 6, with their 6" SCT, for about £1300.

Grab & GOTO anyone?

5a1aa84f426b4_GrabGOTO.jpg.7e0c71937f25c357e8190e12d066da51.jpg

Geoff

1 hour ago, Gina said:

It's unbalanced!  When things are being sold at a ridiculously low price you have to think "what's wrong with it".

Actually with a light scope this configuration work well. The new AZGTI operates in a similar manner and it handles my scope fine. Having the scope on the outside as it were means you can easily reach the zenith with longer scopes.

17 hours ago, Gina said:

As long as the CG of the scope remains well within the footprint of the tripod, the likelihood of tipping is pretty limited.  Most premium manual alt-az mounts of the last dozen or so years are typically unbalanced so you can reach azimuth, especially if they come with a pier extension.  It also comes in handy for mounting two scopes side-by-side, resulting in a balanced setup once again.  I prefer a squat tripod profile with legs splayed wide for maximum stability, ease of sitting between the legs, and lowering the eyepiece height to be reachable from a sitting position.

well guys I went to Maplins and purchased the Celestron LCM 114 for my sons xmas prezzy, At home I assembled the tripod and mount then attached my Heritage 130P to it and no signs of balance issues here !! tried it through the full range of motion and its all fine. Should have took a pic !!!!

13 hours ago, Jimmy Rocket said:

well guys I went to Maplins and purchased the Celestron LCM 114 for my sons xmas prezzy, At home I assembled the tripod and mount then attached my Heritage 130P to it and no signs of balance issues here !! tried it through the full range of motion and its all fine. Should have took a pic !!!!

I have heard this before at Xmas " purchased for my sons " are you sure it's for your son's only ? Or maybe a present for yourself to use also ??

Archived