Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horse Head from the Valley

scarp15

Returning to the valley in the north east of the Northumberland National Park, this time there was only a breeze, perfect for setting up.

Two principle objectives for this Friday evening, firstly to determine what I might be able to extract out of the Stephens Quintet region in Pegasus and to equally test the conditions for observing the Flame, IC 434 and Barnard 33, therefore I took along my 14" dob. I began with the Andromeda group using the 31T5, after which and switching to my 21E, I located east of Alamak for NGC 891, Silver Silver Galaxy, bright edge on unbarred spiral. After this I drifted onto NGC 1023 Perseus Lenticular Galaxy and then NGC 890 followed by NGC 925 a nice barred spiral in Triangulum. Then it was up to M76 the Little Dumbbell, the two bright lobes of this planetary nicely formed. 

Attention turned towards Pegasus and spiral galaxy NGC 7331 was easily located, in the vicinity is the Stephenson's Quintet and the search commences as I gradually increased magnification. Things began to open up as I increased power, a faint glow could be distinguished where the Quintet lay becoming more apparent as I eventually increased power to x313 using my 6mm ethos. I was unable to distinguish any separation of this group, so perhaps NGC 7317. Also just to the South east I think gaining NGC 7340. It was never the less intriguing, I was by now encountering some light gusts of wind and the wind chill was also 'locking' in some eyepieces in the focuser, frustrating a little concentration on the observation. So I wanted to put my back more to the wind for my next target.

Orion was gaining in prominence, for this evening, I would visit the Flame and Horse Head nebula on two occasions. Following a warm-up with coffee, mince pie and donning my balaclava, I turned attention onto NGC 2024 the Flame Nebula. I used my 13mm ethos and 10mm delos, both revealing, a little distance from Alnitak, first the dark central lane, brighter lobe regions and radiating branches. The 10mm delos conveyed the best contrast and overall view and although I tried using a UHC filter, I preferred the view without. Clearly it was time to visit the Horse Head. Attaching a H-beta filter and using a 25mm and 20mm plossl, I positioned the field of view onto the star field a little down from Alnitak. The black velvet notch embedded in the emission nebula IC 434, became immediately apparent. With a touch of averted vision, it was possible to gaze at this phenomena for good periods. I explored the surrounding nebula a little and then returned to the dark notch. Fleeting glances, was my mind deceiving me or could I see a neck? The alluring appeal of this otherwise underwhelming observational encounter, is conveyed by its sense of presence, here is the enigmatic chess piece, as though teasing you to see more than just a thumb print - or to see anything at all. Both of my televue plossl's performed equally on this subject tonight.

I hadn't finished with using my H-beta filter and replacing the little plossl for the mighty 31mm nagler, I headed up to Perseus and a view along the engaging and immersive California Nebula. With eyes finely attuned, I sighted Gemini and decided to give the Jellyfish nebula another go. Replacing the H-beta filter for an OIII, in the process, with chilled fingers (taking my gloves off for the filter change), dropped my precious Lumicon onto the ground, a horrible moment. Fortunately I was set up on grass, so no harm was done. This time I got the Jellyfish, more a slightly curved streak, very much how I'd concluded on this subject last season, dim, faint but apparent. 

Time for some light relief and I focused on Taurus and M1, to which following on from the previous observations, appeared as a big bright fluff ball. Then into M45, once again using the 31mm nagler, the Merope and Maia nebula easily picked up. I completed the night with the Orion Nebula, the Beehive cluster and then the pairing of M81, M82 heading off at just after 1.30am. SQM readings improved through the night, later gaining almost 21.4. The road out was frosty on the way, negotiating sheep and a barn owl swooped over the car, headlamps dipped, a grand finale to the occasion.

Nice report Scarp and the skies sound really nice up there. 

NGC891 is a cracking galaxy to view and best from a truly dark sky to appreciate the delicate extent of it.

I viewed stephans quintet in Skye with the rest of the mob. From the pitch black it was an easy thing to pull out all five. A lovely sight.

The HH seems to jump out at you after the first time of seeing it. Views vary I always use the 13E or shorter and don't really find it makes any difference to seeing it as long as Alnitak is kept out of the fov.

Amazing how much a 2" finder reveals. M81 and 82 I often pick out giving an idea of the transparency. 

Thanks for posting as I know how long these sessions take to put into a report. 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Lovely report, you almost make the Horsey sound easy :) 

Thanks Stu

If and when you gain an accomplished observation of the Horse Head, it will become familiar with successive observations, in the right circumstances, growing accustomed to its character you would even expect to see it, dare I say it can actually become routine. Personally I don't actually place it on the difficult list anymore, last night I thought to myself as it popped (with averted vision) into view "oh there it is". Probably as I try and chase up new difficult subject matter, has also contributed to its ease :smiley:

3 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Thanks Stu

If and when you gain an accomplished observation of the Horse Head, it will become familiar with successive observations, in the right circumstances, growing accustomed to its character you would even expect to see it, dare I say it can actually become routine. Personally I don't actually place it on the difficult list anymore, last night I thought to myself as it popped (with averted vision) into view "oh there it is". Probably as I try and chase up new difficult subject matter, has also contributed to its ease :smiley:

That’s exactly how I felt seeing the Veil last night. Earlier in the year it seemed extremely challenging. Now I can find and observe with relative ease. Astronomy is very good from the perspective that there’s always a new challenge waiting behind each success!

11 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Thanks Stu

Thank Iain. I confess it's a target I've never been in a position to even try for either because I have had the wrong scope in the right conditions or right scope in wrong conditions! Much of my observing is about challenging the threshold objects under my skies, which are trivial under dark skies. I really enjoy reading your reports as they give great insight into objects I've yet to see. Thank you :) 

Great report Iain. Some good targets and some good results too.

Glad you got the horsey. It gets easier to see it when you "have seen it" as you now know where and how big it is.

Last night my experience of the flame led me to downgrade the horsey as a poor neighbour to a flaming good nebula!

Alan

3 hours ago, alan potts said:

Nice report, I feel Nov 25th will now have to be known as Horses Head Day as this is the thrid first time I have read this from yesterday evening, very well done.

You certainly have a point Alan, all these reports galloping in over the past 24 hours, Horses Head Day 25 November very apt.

Archived