Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC342 - The Hidden Galaxy - LRGB

PhotoGav

The Hidden Galaxy certainly lives up to its name, hiding behind a dense region of the Milky Way near the galactic equator in the constellation of Camelopardalis. IC342 is only around 10 million light years away and has an apparent diameter of about 20 arcminutes, making it the third largest galaxy in angular size visible from Earth, after The Andromeda Galaxy and The Triangulum Galaxy. If it wasn't for all that dust and the myriad of stars, it would be a spectacular sight in the night sky, though it can be seen through binoculars, it just proves difficult to offer up much detail. I rather like all those stars, they definitely make this an interesting and different kind of a galaxy to try and image.

IC342-LRGB-06-Final.thumb.png.05e41dd6206a83554912fc28e07054cd.png

Tech Spec:
Celestron EdgeHD 800 with 0.79x Reducer, QSI 683-WSG, HEQ5 Pro, Baader 1.25" filters
L = 24 x 1200s
RGB = 12 x 600s each
TOTAL = 14 hours

I processed the image with AstroPixelProcessor and Photoshop. I'm generally pretty happy with the outcome. The brighter stars have lost a bit of colour in their core and I did consider whether to shoot a set of short RGB subs. I'm not sure if I have the stamina to keep going with this target for now and am not sure how much of a difference that would really make anyway. I am more inclined to move on to my next target, as and when the Sky Gods allow! My only other complaint is that I have a bit of star elongation in the corners - I guess this could be either a spacing or a tilt issue? One day I hope to sort it out!

Anyway, I hope you like it and I look forward to hearing your comments.

Clear skies.

• Like 31

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I had vaguely heard the name but knew nothing else about this object!

Great picture. There's a nice little galaxy near bottom left  :-)

Thank you Neil - I've been trying to find out more about that little galaxy bottom left, but have so far failed completely...

15 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Astrometry net hasn't got a clue!

There's an even smaller one just to its right as well, I think.

I know, I just tried Astrometry.net and it picked out IC342 and nothing else. I’ve looked on Sky Safari, Stellarium and in a couple of books, but no mention of any small galaxies near IC342. I haven’t tried Cartes du Ciel yet. Where is the best place to find small feint galaxy details?

Well spotted, I think you’re right, that is another little galaxy and not just a guiding error!

Lovely image Gav - great colour too (very reddened due to the intervening dust!)

Faint/obscure objects: Use Aladin and Simbad! See screenshot below.

The faint patch to the lower left of the galaxy has catalog LEDA 166077 - this almost looks like an extension of one of the spiral arms but is catalogued in its own right. The tiddler right at the left hand side of the frame is 2MASX J03450118+6747228 (from the 2MASS IR survey). HTH!

image.thumb.png.28ffeec4be1447518cd6b1cfe38034d7.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just saw this amazing rendition of IC 342!  I am planning on starting a project tonight and this galaxy is in prime position.  I will start with Ha--I know its faint, but I have nothing else to shoot as the Moon is up.  I have seen HaLRGB versions where the Ha was definitely visible (Olly's for one....taken after you took this).  I can only hope it comes out as good as yours.....amazing!

Rodd

• Like 1

On 06/11/2019 at 18:39, PhotoGav said:

Thanks Rodd. I always thought I should shoot some Ha for this one... never did, so far. Good luck with your project - lucky you for having clear skies, Moon or no Moon, pouring here, again 😕

Ha very promising. I posted the results of 7.5 hours.  I plan on adding  more. 
Rodd

6 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Rodd

Indeed, I saw that and thought, damn, really should have shot some Ha!!! Good luck with the continuing collection. 

2 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Indeed, I saw that and thought, damn, really should have shot some Ha!!! Good luck with the continuing collection. 

Thanks. Kind of befuddled about the banding. I have never heard of registration generating bands in individual subs.  It is quite obvious on individual subs

Rodd

Edited by Rodd

17 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Rodd

7 out of our 23 hours were spent on Ha when Tom and I did this one. It's time well spent and really picks out the spiral arms.

Olly

• Like 2