NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Variations on the California

scarp15

I pulled up in the Northumberland National Park car park some way up the valley, I had last visited back in September, I leapt out of the car, clear sky, immaculate milky way overhead ...and wind, which was funnelling briskly. Just not feasible to set up here, I headed to a dependable spot twenty minutes back the way I'd come.

This session was going to involve my 350mm dobsonian and 76mm refractor, which later in the evening when Perseus has climbed due South, apply them to observing the California nebula.

To begin, I split Almach and drifted downwards towards Triangulum to pick up a nicely formed open cluster NGC 752, which seems to consist of some colourful carbon stars, to the east there is also a nice double star (59). Then to the Triangulum galaxy, M33 and the HII region NGC 604 clearly stated through a 13mm ethos. NGC 7662, the Blue Snowball was to follow, big, bright, very blue and took high power really well. Onward to NGC 1514, the Crystal Ball Nebula, I could not determine why it was problematic to locate, until when eventually I attached an OIII filter and became instantly revealed. I had forgot the diffuse fuzz around the central star, which was highly visible. Then up towards Perseus and attractive open cluster NGC 1528 , which took a bit of finding as I got confused for the correct star field. Drifting across slightly and NGC 1491, emission nebula, Fossil Footprint finally jumped into view, bright and shapely curved perhaps fossil like. Onwards towards Cassiopeia and then along to open cluster M52 before drifting downward slightly for the Bubble nebula, to which was fairly bright and distinguished. 

A core strength of a small rich field refractor can be the expansive and scintillating views gained through observing open clusters and I became absorbed in the high power, ultra wide field views such as M35 / NGC 2158 and drifting through the Auriga cluster regions.

California Nebula   

Discovered by Edward Barnard in 1885, this large low surface brightness emission nebula is approximately 2.5 x 0.5 degrees in scale. The glow from the nebula is ionized by a bright bluish, hot star, Xi Persei. Often photographed it can be elusive and difficult visually. Dark transparent skies when Perseus has culminated, is the favoured time to gain an observation. Binoculars or a rich field refractor, low power, wide field eyepiece and H-beta filter(s) are considered as required, a UHC might do to. Larger aperture will however increase definition and can become quite exploratory.   

The California is an intriguing subject, that requires time, perhaps measured in yearly seasons, to get to know and I really enjoy exploring this region. It is also an effective H-beta subject, revealing an invisible object in the same way but considerably more subtle, that a good quality OIII filter will provide with the Veil. For this observation I was interested to see the gas cloud in its entirety and to complement this by gaining a more intimate exploratory observation. The eyepiece I would use was to be a 31mm Nagler, 5.30 degrees (more than enough), x15 power, 4.9mm exit pupil in the refractor and (with a paracorr) 1.38 degree, x59, 5.84mm exit pupil in the dobsonian.  

With an original Lumicon H-beta filter installed, the refractor got the first turn and sure enough, just above Menkib, the profile of the nebula could be seen poised at an angle. It was indeed faint and lacked distinction, yet easily wholly contained. A little later and it was the turn of the dobsonian, I immediately enjoyed drifting along its profile, billowing cloud formations quite apparent, definition was visible yet subtle and dim, quite satisfying.

Metaphorical Analysis (in comparison with the Veil)

The Veil - arresting, impressive, revealing, like a deep sea creature in crystal clear waters.

The California - a large humpback whale, glimpsed gliding past in a dark sedimentary ocean.

Continuing with the session, I compared M42 between the two scopes, enjoying the Trapezium at high power in the frac and the full spectrum drama of the nebula, at low power in the dob. The night completed with a look at a bright M78. One further note, I paid a little attention to the Jellyfish in Gemini, I struggled and strained last year when finally I got it, I think it may be the same this year. 

P1070960.JPG

Great report  Iain and great descriptions of the objects. I viewed the California Nebula again last night but this time with the Heritage 130P. I found the cheaper Sky's the Limit H.Beta filter gave a better view than the Thousand Oaks H.Beta filter. The former filter showed more stars so I guess wider bandwidth and the Nebula was clear. The Thousand Oaks has a 9nm bandwidth which maybe too dark for the 5" scope.

Anyway an interesting night.

On 19/11/2017 at 20:27, Mark at Beaufort said:

Great report  Iain and great descriptions of the objects. I viewed the California Nebula again last night but this time with the Heritage 130P. I found the cheaper Sky's the Limit H.Beta filter gave a better view than the Thousand Oaks H.Beta filter. The former filter showed more stars so I guess wider bandwidth and the Nebula was clear. The Thousand Oaks has a 9nm bandwidth which maybe too dark for the 5" scope.

I had no idea that the California nebula was achievable in a 130mm scope! I think I‘ll be investing in one of the Sky’s the Limit H.Beta filters now! 

18 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I had no idea that the California nebula was achievable in a 130mm scope! I think I‘ll be investing in one of the Sky’s the Limit H.Beta filters now! 

Me neither! I have a Lumicon Hb around somewhere, might 'chuck' it in the little Heritage and see what it can do.... somewhere dark of course!

On 19/11/2017 at 20:27, Mark at Beaufort said:

Which eyepiece did you use Mark? I have a 24mm Pan but am thinking a 32mm plossl may be better?

Superb report on a target I have never tried, though I never realised it was as big as that. The problem for me is for lowest power I need a 2 inch filter and H Beta Astronomk's is only a 1.25, now that will teach me to be mean with the cash. I sort of only bought it for the HH believing it would be best in my 18 inch Dob on the 24mm Panoptic, sadly being pricy I never really gave a thought for other targets.

Thanks everyone, it holds its appeal due to gaining a high elevation, as Shane mentioned a night of dry air is required. I had been fortunate in my recent spate of dark sky trips due to breezy or light windy conditions. On Saturday there was also the rare luxury for not being concerned of incoming cloud, so could choose my time, later in the session to gain an observation. The temperature at least whilst I was out, did not plummet to the anticipated sub zero forecast either, but it was good to have my walking boots on.

20 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Yes give it a go Neil and if you do consider an 8" dob in the future, the filter will become yet more useful.  

21 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I had no idea that the California nebula was achievable in a 130mm scope!

Hi Neil, the California is easily achievable in a 130mm scope, the Heritage 130 does a fine job of it even with the 25mm "Super plossl" and the 32mm TV plossl gives a bit wider view for this largish object. The Astronomik 1.25" Hb is an excellent cost effective filter for this object, just a thought.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Which eyepiece did you use Mark? I have a 24mm Pan but am thinking a 32mm plossl may be better?

Stu I used my ES68 24mm EP which gives a 27X mag and 2.5 degree FOV. This just about covers the whole Nebula. The sky was really good and I was in total darkness with no LP. I often wonder what different filters produce looking at the same object using the same scope. Certainly the Sky's the Limit H.Beta gave a better view that the Thousand Oaks. It would be nice to compare an Astronomik or Lumicon to see the differences.

5 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Yes give it a go Neil and if you do consider an 8" dob in the future, the filter will become yet more useful

Thanks Iain. What objects do you think could be seen with an 8” dob and H-Beta?

4 hours ago, jetstream said:

Hi Neil, the California is easily achievable in a 130mm scope, the Heritage 130 does a fine job of it even with the 25mm "Super plossl" and the 32mm TV plossl gives a bit wider view for this largish object. The Astronomik 1.25" Hb is an excellent cost effective filter for this object, just a thought.

Thanks Gerry. My UHC and OIII are both Astronomik so I like the idea of having the H-Beta from them too. One mistake that I have consistently made with astronomy is underestimating what my equipment is capable of!

Potentially there are quite a few select targets for a H-beta filter, 8" dob Neil. David Knisely lists and details a comprehensive list with some detail on Cloudy Nights and other links, here are some taken from this list;

M43 - Enhance this section of Orion Nebula

IC 5146, Cocoon Nebula - difficult observation Cygnus

IC 405 - Flaming Star Nebula Auriga

Gama Cygni Nebula - Cygnus

IC 2177 - Seagull Nebula, Monoceros

Sh2-276 Barnard's Loop Orion

Sh2-254 & Sh2-256-7 diffuse nebula Orion

M20 - Trifid nebula enhance main section

IC434 & Horse Head Nebula (well at least I may attempt to try my 8" F6 on this target this coming Winter period)

3 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Potentially there are quite a few select targets for a H-beta filter, 8" dob Neil. David Knisely lists and details a comprehensive list with some detail on Cloudy Nights and other links, here are some taken from this list;

IC434 & Horse Head Nebula (well at least I may attempt to try my 8" F6 on this target this coming Winter period)

Thanks you! Good selection of targets there :) 

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Nice list Iain. Whilst hunting down the Cocoon Nebula its worth observing Barnard-168. Last month whilst on my canal boat I found a very dark site and using my Apollo 15x70 binos I had a great view of this dark nebula. Could not see the Cocoon but did not have the H.Beta filters with me.

Archived