Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time guiding

Hi. Firstly, well done. Moving to guiding shows that you're determined!

Without the guide log, it's difficult to tell.  If you post a link to the guide log, we'd be able to give accurate advice.

Of course, it's irrelevant what the guide output looks like if your final images are acceptable to you.

HTH and clear skies.

Edit: it maybe a good idea to always use the latest version of PHD2

4 minutes ago, alacant said:

Of course, it's irrelevant what the guide output looks like if your final images are acceptable to you.

HTH and clear skies.

This is very true.. my guide graph looks awful but can guide with nice round stars for 15 mins..not tried any longer yet..

If you was guiding on a hot pixel I'd expect the graph to be flatter but as a test make sure it's a star that the camera is seeing..move the mount with the handset and make sure the stars move..if not then it's not a star ..assuming it is a star then run the guiding  assistant and apply the settings that are suggested..

Have you set up your guiding parameters in PHD2. Advanced settings for camera & guiding. Once set run the guiding assistant for around 2 mins to obtain your best settings. I would also up your exposures to around 3 secs to try to eliminate "chasing the seeing"

Steve

8 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. Firstly, well done. Moving to guiding shows that you're determined!

Without the guide log, it's difficult to tell.  If you post a link to the guide log, we'd be able to give accurate advice.

HTH and clear skies.

Edit: it maybe a good idea to always use the latest version of PHD2

Okay I will look for the guide log... My images with the imaging camera were only 100seconds but I did try a few five minute ones and the stars were round.

5 hours ago, newbie alert said:

If you was guiding on a hot pixel I'd expect the graph to be flatter but as a test make sure it's a star that the camera is seeing..move the mount with the handset and make sure the stars move..if not then it's not a star ..assuming it is a star then run the guiding  assistant and apply the settings that are suggested..

Certainly wasn't a hot pixel, I am using a dark frame library but I'll keep that in mind.

1 hour ago, sloz1664 said:

Have you set up your guiding parameters in PHD2. Advanced settings for camera & guiding. Once set run the guiding assistant for around 2 mins to obtain your best settings. I would also up your exposures to around 3 secs to try to eliminate "chasing the seeing"

Steve

I have set the guiding parameters in phd 2 but I have not found the advanced settings. Would 3seconds be to long to make corrections?

8 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Did you run the guiding assistant? It's in the tools...Fantastic PA  thou!

Didn't run the guiding assistant I'll have to try that. How can you tell I've got a good alignment? I haven't drift aligned so I wouldn't expect it to be good...

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far. I am getting some great tips!

Would definitely recommend trying out the Drift Align utility within PHD2 - it makes the process pretty straightforward and the end result is very worthwhile.

Using an exposure length of around 3 seconds is fine (it's what I'm currently using and it's working well for me), and as Steve said it will help to smooth the graph - try incrementally increasing the exposure length by 0.5s and see how it affects the guiding.

10 hours ago, newbie alert said:

can guide with nice round stars for 15 mins..

This doesn't mean the guiding is good.  Variable corrections over 15 minutes can certainly give round stars, but the guiding may be awful - the objective should be to achieve the smallest possible round stars.

33 minutes ago, r3i said:

Using an exposure length of around 3 seconds is fine

I actually use 5 seconds -  specifically to overcome seeing, but also because during 5 seconds, providing you have a reasonable polar alignment, there should be imperceptible drift.  

Chris

2 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

Certainly wasn't a hot pixel, I am using a dark frame library but I'll keep that in mind.

My first few times I tried guiding my camera wasn't focussed properly..i was guiding on something but I'm sure it wasn't a star..and I was also using a dark library..im sure you are guiding on a star thou as my graph was flat when I did it..

Someone on here gave a tip of moving the mount and if the stars didn't move then they wasn't stars..so I looked at the focus..it was way out..

11 hours ago, newbie alert said:

This doesn't mean the guiding is good.  Variable corrections over 15 minutes can certainly give round stars, but the guiding may be awful - the objective should be to achieve the smallest possible round stars.

Yes I agree..im very fresh to this guiding malarkey..but stars don't look any different from 5 mins up to 15 which is the furthest I've gone so far

20171107_204731.jpg

44 minutes ago, newbie alert said:
  11 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Yes I agree..im very fresh to this guiding malarkey..but stars don't look any different from 5 mins up to 15 which is the furthest I've gone so far

20171107_204731.jpg

I’m far from an expert too but there looks to be bit of rotation in the corners, and the focus isn’t right?! Could be just the screen shot though 

47 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

It's a picture of the back of my camera with my mobile phone..if you can spot field rotation from that then, my gosh you have a keen eye..

And all on my mobile too :icon_rolleyes: I was just trying to see these round stars you mentioned ?

Archived