Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars 150 quid budget

With your Skymaster 25x70's  maybe look at some wider field binocular options, which are great for observing larger swathes of the night sky, and you'll have some change too.

Price alone does not make for a better binocular, its the comfort, fitting, magnification and image that all go to making a good binocular, and that depends on the end user. My favoured binocular is my Helios 8x40.

I would always go for the 10x50s, light, no tripod needed and easy to hold.  The views they offer are expansive and take in a good chunk of sky.  Next up are the 15x70s, just about hand held, especially for short periods of time.  Once mounted on a tripod they provide a narrower field, though they will go deeper than the 10s.  I also have a pair of 20x90s, though they get used least of all three, heavy, narrow field of view and needing a sturdy tripod, good for fainter objects.

I own the Strathspey Marine IF 10x50  binoculars for the same reason,  general use and transportation in the car, thats where I need them.
I bought a suitable case, and their pretty rugged too, all well within your price bracket. Its just one of the many options!

3 hours ago, F15Rules said:

A nice pair of William optics 10x50 BA8 design just gone up for sale here for £160.

Yes, very nice binos indeed with images that are startlingly sharp and contrasty (IMO). They have individual focus which is quite stiff but once set its pretty much set and forget, take them out and look up - bingo! However, there's never a free lunch, as Dave points out they are heavy (but fine on a mono-pod) and the eye relief is much less, in use, than specified as eyepieces have deeply recessed lenses. But if weight and the need to use specs' whilst observing isn't a problem then worthy of consideration. If something lighter with better ER is needed the Opticron iMagics are good, and good value.

The WO at £160 is definitely worth a look as long as (as Alfian has said)the eye relief is sufficient for you, i.e. you don't need spectacles to observe). If they aren't to your taste, the Pentax SP 10x50 WP is a very nice instrument; the lockable focus is very useful - review here.

21 hours ago, digger1978gee said:

Do you think 10 x 50s would a better option than 15 x 70s or 25 x 70s?

The optical quality of 10x50s in your price bracket is, IMO, considerably better than the optical quality of any Nx70 binocular in the same price bracket. This does make a difference: I well recall on evening where we could all see M79 (tricky low-altitude globular) in a decent 8x40 (hand-held) but none of us could see it in a budget 15x70 (mounted).

7 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

The optical quality of 10x50s in your price bracket is, IMO, considerably better than the optical quality of any Nx70 binocular in the same price bracket. This does make a difference: I well recall on evening where we could all see M79 (tricky low-altitude globular) in a decent 8x40 (hand-held) but none of us could see it in a budget 15x70 (mounted).

On 22/10/2017 at 00:11, digger1978gee said:

I have been looking at some of the binos from Orion optics, they seem to be a little more expensive compared to other options, what do you guys think? Do they live up to the price tag?

I didn't think Orion Optics did binoculars. Did you mean Orion Telescopes and Binoculars? Their binoculars are mostly from Uniited Optics and are just differently-branded to the ones sold in other UK outlets. For example, the Orion Resolux is as near as dammit identical to the Helios Apollo.

On 23 October 2017 at 11:34, BinocularSky said:

I didn't think Orion Optics did binoculars. Did you mean Orion Telescopes and Binoculars? Their binoculars are mostly from Uniited Optics and are just differently-branded to the ones sold in other UK outlets. For example, the Orion Resolux is as near as dammit identical to the Helios Apollo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2017 at 08:08, Charic said:

I own the Strathspey Marine IF 10x50  binoculars for the same reason,  general use and transportation in the car, thats where I need them.
I bought a suitable case, and their pretty rugged too, all well within your price bracket. Its just one of the many options!

I own a pair of 10x50 Strathspey bins (not the Marine ones) and also a pair of 20x90 Strathspey. I love them. 

• 2 months later...

Archived