Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star adventurer mini Eq3-2

Simon Dunsmore

Hi Folks, 

Sorry if this sounds a little simple but I'm just getting in to Astrophotography and wondered if anyone could advise. 

I own a skywatcher 150 on a Eq3-2 mount and a Canon 1000d. I wanted to do some wide field photography and was thinking about removing the scope and fitting a Skywatcher Star adventurer in its place. Any idea if this will work.? 

The other thought was to just fit an RA drive to the Eq3-2 but I've heard different opinions. 

Any suggestions greatfully received. 

BTW the SAM information I've read seems a bit vague. 

Cheers chaps 

Simon 

I have eq3-2 with dual motors. With the 150p on it I can sometimes get up to 60 sec exposures but mostly stick to 30-45 secs. I have not really done much with just the camera attached but now it's getting darker I'm going to try for longer exposures.  

The star adventurer can hold up to 5 KG, according to specifics.

This might already be stretched, I would say the ideal maximum payload weight would be around 3 KG.

I don't know exactly what the skywatcher 150 is, but the best guess (the explorer 150p) is a 5 KG OTA without any accessory (you'd probably want to put a camera on it, I guess, plus adapters, and a heavier counterweight, an autoguider, even an OAG with a secondary camera is still some decent weight added).

Plus there's the matter of the focal length: for various reasons the best focal length for the star adventurer is under 300mm. You can stretch it to 400, if you use RA guiding, but since it doesn't have DEC motors, that's about it.

The 150p has a 750mm focal length. Way too much for the Star Adventurer. You'd have to reach an extremely precise polar alignment, and even then, it probably won't be enough.

In summary, no, I'd really recommend to buy something else for astrophotography. The star adventurer is a really handy and versatile mount, but not that versatile.

From reading the OPs post, I don't think he is considering using the 150P on the SA, rather removing the scope from the EQ3-2 and using a camera instead.

The bit I'm confused by was the implication of removing the scope and fitting an SA to the EQ3-2, but I think I'm misinterpreting this bit. So, it seems the question is, which is better, the EQ3-2 with a tracking motor fitted or the Star Adventurer, both using a DSLR rather than scope.

OP, is that correct?

47 minutes ago, Stu said:

From reading the OPs post, I don't think he is considering using the 150P on the SA, rather removing the scope from the EQ3-2 and using a camera instead.

The bit I'm confused by was the implication of removing the scope and fitting an SA to the EQ3-2, but I think I'm misinterpreting this bit. So, it seems the question is, which is better, the EQ3-2 with a tracking motor fitted or the Star Adventurer, both using a DSLR rather than scope.

OP, is that correct?

That's how I read it - he's going to take the EQ3-2 head off the tripod and fit and SA to the EQ3-2 tripod.  I'd be much more inclined to use the EQ3-2 wholesale and just add the motors.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

OP, is that correct?

Oh ok.. that makes much more sense... sorry :icon_biggrin:

Hi Folks 

Thanks for your input, really helpful. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, I was asking about removing the Eq3-2 and using the Tripod to mount the SAM. 

I don't plan to fit both the scope and the camera, just the camera. 

I will check out that adapter at FLO any ideas what I should search for? 

I'm leaning towards the the Eq3-2 with RA drive and the SLR attached to the dovetail bar via a ball joint. 

Thanks again 

Simon 

8 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi Folks 

Thanks for your input, really helpful. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, I was asking about removing the Eq3-2 and using the Tripod to mount the SAM. 

I don't plan to fit both the scope and the camera, just the camera. 

I will check out that adapter at FLO any ideas what I should search for? 

I'm leaning towards the the Eq3-2 with RA drive and the SLR attached to the dovetail bar via a ball joint. 

Thanks again 

Simon 

I think thats a wise choice, the single axis motor is handy for visual use too without any big outlay, I use the standard dovetail with a camera ball head on mine so that you can get the target orientation right.

Alan

Archived