SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher colour scheme

spaceboy

So I remember Black OTA Helios with gun metal mounts. Then came a not so nice ?? sky blue ?? Skywatcher with hammerite black mount. Occasional during this period found a darker more fetching blue OTA only to my knowledge found upon the Evostar. My assumption is it was for a different country. Also I believe the release of a pro edition gold OTA hit the scene not long after. On to today and the much more stylish black diamond OTA and white mounts.

I kinda like the black diamond scopes and so to the white mounts despite them showing up every little mark and prone to yellowing after time. But the time will come when Skywatcher will want to revitalise the sales and distinguish new from old by coming out with another colour.

What colour do you think it might be they come up with next ? ............................................. My guess, pearlescent or metal flake white OTA with black mount again

And what colours would you want to see? ............................................................................ My preference, either solid or flake red and again while I like the white mounts I'd favour going graphite grey/black with the mounts as they are easier to keep looking fresh.

When I first got hooked on astronomy back in the seventies (showing my age now!), I remember fantasising over the orange coloured Celestron Schmidt  telescopes, I always hoped that one day I would own one. Well I'm a lot older now and despite having owned a few telescopes, I've never owned either an orange telescope or for that mater a Celestron. So maybe ( as long as Celeston havn't patented their orange colour), why not orange? As for the mounts, I agree that the white does get dirty and goes yellow with time, so I to like the idea of a Matt graphite grey.

Steve

There is a lot to be said for the traditional white tubes with black trims IMHO although they all look the same in the dark.

I had a dark blue, non-metallic Skywatcher refractor once - I believe it was a colour scheme that they used in Europe for a few years. 

I quite like the metallic gun-metal grey and black that Orion (USA) use and many of their scopes are made by Synta as well.

I agree with Chris that black is a good colour for a mount.

My first telescope was a white tube with black trim. My current Orion Newtonian is a white tube with black trim . Looks good and practical as you stand more chance of seeing it in the dark. It does not matter in light polluted areas.

7 hours ago, michael8554 said:

I've always thought Meade Blue is tasteful and understated, and they must agree because they've never changed it.

(Except for the horrible red nebula scheme on Premier Edition ETX's for a while)

Michael

I also like the classic Meade blue on their SCT's and Mak's, but really don't like their latest 'crinkly finish' on their new SCT's. Don't mind the lighter blue on the new ETX range, I'm just happy that Meade offer a 'poor mans' Questar :icon_biggrin: 

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

When I first got hooked on astronomy back in the seventies (showing my age now!), I remember fantasising over the orange coloured Celestron Schmidt  telescopes, I always hoped that one day I would own one.

Exactly the same here! I finally did get to own one, but annoyingly they had changed the scheme to black with orange lettering. ? As for a new skywatcher scheme, I think white looks really nice  on the modern design mounts such as the az-eq5 & 6 and the gti. The white counterweights are nasty though, for some reason, perhaps black, grey or silver would look nicer and be more durable. As for the scope, gloss white (or possibly silk) with white dewshield but some subtle colouring which can change depending on the scope, and perhaps a coloured logo.?

I like the SkyWatcher black diamond colour scheme on their tubes but not so keen on white mounts. For me there's always been something classy about white tubes and green mounts or cream mounts. The old GP and GPDX from Vixen were, and still are to me, something to drool over. Perhaps this is in part because they were, and still are, really top class as far as solidity and sound engineering goes and are in a different league to the SW offerings. Looking back, green or hints of green was a theme among manufacturers of top quality scopes from Japan. 

2017-09-23 12.36.17.png

2017-09-23 12.37.33.png

2017-09-23 12.40.37.jpg

Archived