Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eastern Veil Nebula in SHO ('Hubble Palette')

gnomus

This is an SHO rendition of the Eastern Veil. Data were captured over many nights between June and September 2017 on the Tak106/QSI683 rig at Deep Sky West, NM.

• Tak 106
  • QSI 683 with Astrodon 5nm filters
  • SII: 21 x 1800s
  • Ha: 20 x 1800s
  • OIII: 22 x 1800s

A total of 31.5 hours exposure.

08B_PI_SCNR_HTx1920.thumb.jpg.093692a5117ad68e2d8559b33c1e2e8b.jpg

The bicolour version can be seen here: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/300046-eastern-veil-nebula-in-bicolour/

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Wow, that one speaks for itself. Deep and wispy. I was a bit overwhelmed by the intense purple outer edge, at first, but it coincides with the bow shock and has won me over. Exciting image.

Olly

I'm pleased about that since it took me several attempts to get it!  Thanks, Olly.

That's an SGL Imaging Challenge #6 contender if ever I've seen one.  Well done.   

I love the fact that the images can be built up over many nights.  Do you need to stretch and reposition images to account for slight movements or rotations??  ( Is there a favoured piece of software to do this ?? )

Sean.

Thank you Sean.  Imaging over several nights is essential in my view - especially in the UK.  Some folks have the ability to pull great images out of llittle or no data, but I am not one of those people.  So long as you leave the camera attached to the telescope, you can image from one night to the next, even if you have to set up and tear down every night.

12 minutes ago, tomato said:

Another superlative image.

Has this element of the Veil Nebula ever been dubbed 'the Alien Nebula' ? It brings to mind images of H.R. Giger's nightmarish creation every time I see it.

Yes.  I suggested the same last year when I did a version through a longer focal length scope: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/280222-bat-nebula-eastern-veil-bicolour/?do=findComment&comment=3067600

However, I got no takers for this proposition, and I suspect that folks thoght me a bit daft for mentioning it......

Thank you for your kind words about the picture.

10 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Gorgeous image!

Thank you Michael.

Just my luck ! I posted my own version of the same target the same day you post this beauty... *sobbing*

At least that gives me an idea of how much I can improve ;)

Very interesting.  I've been going cross eyed comparing your two versions.  The fine detail in the images is subtly different with some features showing slightly better in the tricolour and others in the bicolour (helped by the nice contrast between the blue and the red.  From an aesthetic point of view I much prefer the bicolour).  You've outlined the exposure times, what about the combined processing time!?  Outstanding work

16 hours ago, gnomus said:

Thank you Vox.  I can assure you that your veil is significantly better than many of my early efforts.

Thank you for your comment and encouragement ! :)

Archived