Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar minimum, when is it maximum again?

Victor Boesen

Since the eclipse I have been very interested in viewing the sun, in fact I have again found use of my old eclipse glasses, from the partial eclipse in Denmark 2 years ago. Yesterday when I was looking at the sun I could see a small black dot, which was one of the sunspots, and this was only with my eclipse glasses.

I have looked through an h-alpha scope a couple of years ago when mercury transited the sun, and it was an amazing experience. Since the eclipse I have started looking at more solar posts on this forum, and found out that the sun is at solar minimum. Then I wondered when the sun is going to be at maximum again. My guess is that it would be a long time?

We are not quite at solar minimum. The last maximum was roughly in 2013-2014, and it was a very weak one (weakest in 100 years). The next would then be expected 2024-2025. Some models predict it will be weaker still. Having said that, even a weak maximum can give some great views, as this shot from July 2014 shows

post-5655-0-15125700-1404651507_thumb.jpg

and the last few days have shown a lot of activity too

Hi, Victor. You're comparing oranges and apples, i.e. two different things. The PST shows you the chromosphere, cutting out all but hydrogen alpha light (Ha), the white light view is of the photosphere.

In white light you can see spots - and some say granulation. In Ha you will see granulation, prominences, active regions and, generally, a host of features not visible in white light.

Whatever you choose, solar observing is wonderful. Come on in!

3 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

Very interesting! I am considering to buy some Baadar solar film, but I think it's a waste of money to make a cover for my 10" dob. What is your opinion on the Coronado pst 40mm vs white light observing?

Hi, I use Baader solar film with my 10" dob - it's cheap as chips as far as astro equipment goes, and delivers great white light views - an extra dimension to what your dob can do.

I'd encourage you to try it out :)

I recently picked up a Lunt LS50THa ... The Ha views are just fantastic.  There have been a few great offers on the For Sale and FLO Clearance sections here (the latter is where I got mine)

5 minutes ago, niallk said:

Hi, I use Baader solar film with my 10" dob

Do you cover the entire opening?

5 minutes ago, niallk said:

I recently picked up a Lunt LS50THa ... The Ha views are just fantastic.  There have been a few great offers on the For Sale and FLO Clearance sections here (the latter is where I got mine)

I have seen many of those on here, but it's still too expansive for my budget. I have thought about getting the skywatcher evostar 120 or the 102 startravel, as a travel-scope (duh..) with the new az5, then I could make a filter for that, and have a scope for both day and nighttime viewing. 

Victor Boesen

H-alpha viewing is highly recommended, but not cheap. White light is very inexpensive, especially with solar film. BTW, in white light you can certainly see granulation in white light

Sun_090735_lapl4_ap1223LRcolour.thumb.jpg.75a3aebc7a56f332ddc1faa319e94a22.jpg

Click for full resolution to see the granulation around these sunspots. This was taken with an 80mm scope

1 hour ago, Victor Boesen said:

Do you cover the entire opening?

I, erm, did set out to make a full aperture filter.  Let's just say I had an accident ?, and I was left with enough to cover the 2" off-axis hole in the lid that comes with Skywatcher dobs.

I must purchase another sheet and make a full aperture mask.  I like to binoview with that dob on solar.  White light compliments the Ha views I would say: WL is very interesting in its own right.

There are apparently 2 solar cycles, the usual one is approximately 11 years long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Solar_Cycle_Prediction.gif

The minimum should be about 2020 and the Maximum then in around 2025.

The "problem" is the second cycle, the name of which I cannot locate or remember (it is not what I thought). This longer cycle is applied to the 11 year cycle and the 2 form the result. If the longer period cycle is at its minimum then the 11 year periodic one is "minimum" immaterial of where in the 11 year cycle it is.

The long period cycle modulates the amplitude of the shorter 11 year cycle, so the resultant is in effect a product of the amplitude of each.

The longer one is around 100 years I think. The diagram in the link shows the devreasing maximun peak as the long period one is decreasing.

This might show more but the page will not load on my PC: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/06/04/solar-cycle-update-spotless/

For observing the sun a simple 70mm or 80mm achro will do, and some solar filter film. Later you can get a Herschel wedge and a continium filter.

2 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

How is the view with the solar film compared to the wedge? Is it worth the money to get one?

The view is definitely better with the wedge, but it's a subtle difference not a mind blowing one. You can make out more granulation with the wedge and the detail of the penumbra and faculae is slightly clearer.

I tend to use the solar film when I want a really lightweight rig when travelling but tend to use the wedge the rest of the time.

3 hours ago, Floater said:

In white light you can see spots - and some say granulation

You absolutely do see granulation in white light, particularly with a wedge.

I have not looked through a larger Newt fitted with solar film, but I do think a refractor and wedge provides a better, more detailed view than using the film, although that is a very cheap and easy was to start solar observing so has its place.

Hi Victor, just from the other side of the coin I'm a Ham Radio Operator and we use the sun's weather to predict radio propagation to move the radio signals around the Earth.  The HF bands have been absolutely terrible over the last year or so with many Coronal holes putting a block on good propagation so signals have been very poor with little contact around the UK. This links very well with the downward slope to minimum which I think is a year or two away, but the last peak was a double peak with the space of a year or so, but as mentioned, very poor maximum - this is the time when the sun is most active and radio propagation tends to be good, as the sun spot number decreases toward minimum, the propagation tends to follow.  Alot of this is helped with prediction tools and charts to plot the solar weather to help with propagation models, remember though, we have only been "looking" at the Sun for a very short period of time relative to the age of the Sun so its, I think, still a guessing game -there has been the odd time where the HF bands have opened, but on the whole the predictions are getting much better as we understand more about the Sun.

So Here's looking forward to the next maximum whenever that will fall - so Amateur Radio and Astronomy will benefit and make us all happy.

Regarding white light - it's very cheap and has alot to offer, using my 5 inch Mak the views are stunning, the relative brightness of the Sun allows you to increase the mag to get really up close to the spots and then the detail really does stand out showing just how dynamic our star really is.

Give the white light a try, and enjoy the Sun safely, it will deliver great views.

Paul.

5 minutes ago, Northern Soul man said:

Hi Victor, just from the other side of the coin I'm a Ham Radio Operator and we use the sun's weather to predict radio propagation to move the radio signals around the Earth.  The HF bands have been absolutely terrible over the last year or so with many Coronal holes putting a block on good propagation so signals have been very poor with little contact around the UK. This links very well with the downward slope to minimum which I think is a year or two away, but the last peak was a double peak with the space of a year or so, but as mentioned, very poor maximum - this is the time when the sun is most active and radio propagation tends to be good, as the sun spot number decreases toward minimum, the propagation tends to follow.  Alot of this is helped with prediction tools and charts to plot the solar weather to help with propagation models, remember though, we have only been "looking" at the Sun for a very short period of time relative to the age of the Sun so its, I think, still a guessing game -there has been the odd time where the HF bands have opened, but on the whole the predictions are getting much better as we understand more about the Sun.

So Here's looking forward to the next maximum whenever that will fall - so Amateur Radio and Astronomy will benefit and make us all happy.

Regarding white light - it's very cheap and has alot to offer, using my 5 inch Mak the views are stunning, the relative brightness of the Sun allows you to increase the mag to get really up close to the spots and then the detail really does stand out showing just how dynamic our star really is.

Give the white light a try, and enjoy the Sun safely, it will deliver great views.

Paul.

Thank you for taking your time writing that. It was really helpful! I think I have settled on getting the SW ST102 as a travel and solar scope. I just have to save up some money first:confused3:

Archived