Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I had a pretty successful session last night capturing 390 x 10 sec subs of asteroid Florence through patchy thin cloud with my Atik 460EX camera

I want to now turn these into an animation.  My thought is to convert the FITS files into TIFF files, align them, batch process them in Photoshop or Lightroom, then convert the resulting aligned, processed TIFF files into an animation.

Is there software that will automatically align (but not stack) FITS files and save the aligned subs as TIFF files?  If not, what is the best way of batch converting 390 x FITS files to TIFFs?

Thanks

DSS will do this for you.

Under the stacking parameters menu, find the tab called intermediate files and check the box that says like "create calibrated file", also if you check the "create registered" box that will also save off registered files in the same directory as your raw files. Also, below that is a check box for FITS or TIFF format:

DSS.jpg.36b7102a8265ab79e4afd62d4ff23a92.jpg

Then,  to run the process all you need to do is click "register checked pictures" to covert. If you want to output registered files, you need to go through the stacking process (so it works out the offsets)... no need to use the final stack though.

And... its free... a win win win! :)

Thanks for the tip Rob.

In the end I used DSS to align the frames, but saved them still as FITS files.  I then used the 'FITS to AVI' tool on ImageTOOLSca software to create a 392 frame video.  This great tools  will do a custom stretch on each frame before compositing it into an AVI - neat.

http://arnholm.org/astro/software/ImageTOOLSca/

I'll post the video later.

2 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

Thanks for the tip Rob.

In the end I used DSS to align the frames, but saved them still as FITS files.  I then used the 'FITS to AVI' tool on ImageTOOLSca software to create a 392 frame video.  This great tools  will do a custom stretch on each frame before compositing it into an AVI - neat.

http://arnholm.org/astro/software/ImageTOOLSca/

I'll post the video later.

Here is the link

Archived