NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good targets for 105mm lens?

14 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Yes it is!  But it does focus on infinity, so I guess it wouldnt do any harm to try it?

Adam

I was asking because if its a decent macro lens, it will be an equally decent infinity focus lens.
Glad its whetting the AP mojo for you.
105mm Sigma by any chance?

37 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Adam

I was asking because if its a decent macro lens, it will be an equally decent infinity focus lens.
Glad its whetting the AP mojo for you.
105mm Sigma by any chance?

Yes it's the Sigma 105mm F2.8, i take photos of teeth etc daily with a well worn out 400d, I'm gonna try the modded 1000d on it tonight. I'll autoguide on the EQ6.  Haven't a clue what target and also what sort of exposure time. Can I use it at F2.8?

IMG_6223.JPG

Just remember to turn off the OS or VR (if Nikon's are used) when mounted on a Tripod or on top of your scope.  I have a non-IS Tokina 100mm Macro which works great for night sky shots on a Nikon D7200 or Nikon D610, with a Hoya intensifier and an LP filter attached.  I use those on a Sigma 30mm DN lens attached to a Sony a6000 too, and seem to be getting better results as I practice.  A lot of local light pollution around here unfortunately.  I might spring for the Backyard Nikon software since it's easier to work with than an intervalometer.  You should consider that for your Canon, it makes a world of difference.  I have Control My Nikon but it isn't really designed for AP, so I don't use it.  Good luck, let us know how it goes.  

Bob.

47 minutes ago, RAWBob said:

Just remember to turn off the OS or VR (if Nikon's are used) when mounted on a Tripod or on top of your scope.  I have a non-IS Tokina 100mm Macro which works great for night sky shots on a Nikon D7200 or Nikon D610, with a Hoya intensifier and an LP filter attached.  I use those on a Sigma 30mm DN lens attached to a Sony a6000 too, and seem to be getting better results as I practice.  A lot of local light pollution around here unfortunately.  I might spring for the Backyard Nikon software since it's easier to work with than an intervalometer.  You should consider that for your Canon, it makes a world of difference.  I have Control My Nikon but it isn't really designed for AP, so I don't use it.  Good luck, let us know how it goes.  

Bob.

Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply! Funny I heard the lens buzzing but I double checked that AF was off. Must be the OS! 

Thanks KOCS!

I got about 40 x 2.5mins last night, packed up at midnight despite clear skies, as I needed to sleep!  I ended up shooting the Cygnus region.  I encountered several problems during my session, but the most annoying was the weight of my lens being too much for the ball head bracket I was using.  I need to buy something more suitable.  I'm looking forward to processing this evening.  I took my flats this morning before leaving for work.

25 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Here's a gallery of DSOs shot with a 135mm lens that you might find useful. They are all 2 minute exposures to show relative brightness.

Nice website - I just learned that the Heart and Soul Nebula is near the DC!  That'll be my next imaging target @ 105mm.

I had a dual rig set up last night using my ED80 for imaging with a 400d, but even with 20mins exposure, there was very little HA visible in my unmodded DSLR.  The modded one on the other had captured loads.

Archived