Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi guys,

Im currently using a Sky Watcher Star Discovery 150P, Ive had it for around 7 months now using only the eyepieces that came with it which are a 10mm, 25mm and 1.25" 2x barlow. Ive had some great nights with these viewing the Moon and various stars but now im looking to expand what eyepieces I have in order to get more out of my viewing experiences. 

Basically im looking for recommendations as im still very much a beginner, any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks Everyone!

Since it is an f/5 scope with a 1.25"-only focuser, you're already constrained somewhat.  f/5 is considered somewhat fast, so that would rule out classic eyepiece designs for wide-field views.  That means shelling out more money for more modern designs.  The 1.25" focuser rules out using any 2" eyepieces to get much wider fields of view.  Since you're in the UK, I'd recommend you look into the BST Starguider line as a nice step-up from the included eyepieces that won't break the bank.

I'd definitely second BST starguiders; Celestron Ex-Cels are also decent. If you want to spend less and are not too concerned with wide fields and long eye relief then Plossls will perform well in a scope that speed, and on some targets are actually better eyepieces. The Skywatcher ones are very keenly prices, and every bit as good as the Celestron, Revelation and GSO branded plossls. Can't speak for the Vixens, which are a little bit pricier and also popular (keep considering getting one to give it try but suspect there won't be a visible difference from the ones I've mentioned above).

In a scope with a 1.25" only focuser I would plan on buying a 24mm 68° eyepiece to get the maximum field of view the telescope can show. However, this would replace your current 25mm so you may wish to leave that for a later date. 

What is it that you feel that you are missing with your current eyepieces and what sort of budget per eyepiece are you thinking of? 

The BST Starguiders were my first eyepiece upgrades as recommended on here. They've been an excellent purchase. The first question you need to answer is what would you like to see with your new eyepiece? That will then inform what focal length would be best suited. 

7 months on the standard ones is a decent length of time.

Really it comes down to budget per eyepiece. The BST are in effect £50 each, good for the price but still £50 and even 3 makes a £150 out lay.

If you went for the BST's then 8mm 12mm and the 25mm. Perhaps the 8mm first to give that extra magnification over the 10mm and it should also be a lot clearer view. Add whichever takes you fancy next if you find they are good for you.

Bit less cost are the Vixen NPL plossl's. Will say if you wear glasses then the shorter focal lengths can be a bit of a problem in regards eye relief.

Other plossl's are the GSO or Revelation ones and also take alook at the premium plossls from Alan at Sky's the Limit. His items are usually good.

That kind of covers the standard selection. The Celestron X-Cel LX's are generally reconned the matvh the BST's however they cost more here in the UK. They have the advantage of more at the lower end so you get small incremental steps between the shorter ones. Can be useful on planets.

Archived