Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Plossl Eyepieces - Bonkers!

FLO

We compare our prices with competitors at least every week and have noticed what appears to be a price war over Celestron Plossl eyepieces

The prices make no sense (too cheap!) but we have dutifully matched them and will continue to do so :angel:

If you want want to buy a good quality branded Plossl eyepiece, now is a good time... 

celestron_omni_plossl_eyepieces.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

That 40mm EP is staggeringly good for the money.  I use it all the time in my C9.25 particularly.

Hi Chris, can I ask how the eye placement is with the Celestron 40mm Plossl, in particular do you get any blackouts when your eye is resting on the eyecup? I sold my Revelation 32mm Plossl as didn't like having to hover above the eyecup.

Cheers

Chris

It's likely of the same design as the 'Orion' 40mm Plössl - of which I have an old one:

598cf86a61acd_T2eC16J!zoE9s5nd0hVBRwYcnp8Hg60_57.thumb.JPG.30319f3d8e01eed50ac51cd513852898.JPG

This, too, gives beautiful views. To the question of eye-position and being able to comfortably take in the full field without struggling with 'kidey-beans'- or other abberant pains-in-neck. The rubber eye-cup is perfectly fitted and positioned. Was this true with your experience with the Celestron 40mm, Chris? If so - it really is an excellent EP at an unbeatable price-point. I wish I was over there - I'd buy a few to have on hand for others.

Neat -

Dave

Craziness indeed! I had pairs of the 32mm and 40mm for binoviewing in Ha. Worked very nicely, I did make some simple eyeguards extenders to cut out glare but very easy to do. Great value eyepieces!

The 40mm appears to have caught peoples attention so I have made and added two photos to our website. 

I hope they clearly show Celestron's Omni Plossls are NOT the same as the Plossls offered at eBay. 

celestron_omni_plossl_eyepieces%5B1%5D.jcelestron_omni_plossl_eyepieces%5B2%5D.j

24 minutes ago, FLO said:

I hope they clearly show Celestron's Omni Plossls are NOT the same as the Plossls offered at eBay. 

I have just read the eBay sellers product description for their 40mm Plossl. It says: 

"the 50 degree eyepiece which you get will be better than the Celestron's 50 degree eyepiece, anyway they have the same specification.  Its quality is very good like the Synta's eyepiece." 

I don't normally out retailers but, c'mon, that's just wrong! 

43 minutes ago, bsf said:

How does this compare to the 40mm Vixen NPL eyepiece here.

Similar optics but different mechanics, the Vixen NPL has a more modern design with twist-up eyecup. It is also lighter (126g vs 156g). 

Here's a quick mobile phone photo :smile: 

plossls_comparison.jpg

7 minutes ago, FLO said:

(In the above photo the Vixen's twist-up eyecup is in the down position. When extended the Vixen is only about 10mm shorter than the Omni Plossl). 

...However the Celestron has a plastic/rubber ?  thumbgrip for safety to avoid dropping it in the dark.

Thanks for your quick response.

I have a 25mm and I am inclined to get the 40mm Vixen, one of the reasons was for a wider field of view but I noticed that it has a shorter field of view than the 30mm which is 50 degrees. The Omni range 32mm and 40mm has 42 degrees. However is there really real practical observing difference?

I am having difficultly in getting images on my smart phone through the eyepiece so I am assuming getting a longer focal length and longer eye relief would help. So would the vixen be better for this task?

2 minutes ago, oobydooby said:

...However the Celestron has a plastic/rubber ?  thumbgrip for safety to avoid dropping it in the dark.

Yes, though Vixen's wide twist-up eyecup mechanism might make it less 'droppy' :biggrin:

1 minute ago, bsf said:

I am having difficultly in getting images on my smart phone through the eyepiece so I am assuming getting a longer focal length and longer eye relief would help. So would the vixen be better for this task?

For visual I prefer the 32mm, it has more magnification but covers the same area of sky, but for afocal photography the 40mm might make more sense. 

4 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Bear in mind the AFOV is 43 degrees.

We quote 42º but you might be right, it might be closer to 43º. 

This is worth hi-lighting because it means, though they have different magnifications, the 32mm and 40mm cover almost exactly the same area of sky. 

Here's a chart made using the Astronomy Tools website that shows both: https://goo.gl/xk5Z9d

The 32mm and 40mm have the same field stop so your field of view is the same.  However, the 40mm gives a higher exit pupil and therefore brighter image.  This can be useful if you want to use filters such as Oiii,  or on high F ratio ("slow") scopes like SCTs.  On an F10 scope the 40mm would give a 4mm exit pupil, which is about as big as you are going to get.

Thanks everyone for the advice. 

I have a skywatcher mak 127 f12 and would like to take some images through my smartphone, as stated the 40mm is best for afocal photography and the 40mm has a bigger exit pupil which could help. Looking at the pictures above I am looking to get the Vixen, I have celestron and skywatcher eye pieces so it would be good to something different to try.

On 8/11/2017 at 17:32, Commanderfish said:

The 32mm and 40mm have the same field stop so your field of view is the same.  However, the 40mm gives a higher exit pupil and therefore brighter image.  This can be useful if you want to use filters such as Oiii,  or on high F ratio ("slow") scopes like SCTs.  On an F10 scope the 40mm would give a 4mm exit pupil, which is about as big as you are going to get.

Yes, it is specifically pulled out for the C9.25 much more often than my faster scopes.

Archived